Search

The Merchant Ivory Collection.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-03, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
The Merchant Ivory Collection.

On the Criterion Website:

"Criterion has launched a new website dedicated to The Merchant Ivory Collection of DVD releases. Begun in the summer of 2003 and including titles such as The Bostonians, Autobiography of a Princess, and Heat and Dust, The Merchant Ivory Collection is produced in association with The Criterion Collection and distributed by Home Vision Entertainment. Keep an eye on The Merchant Ivory Collection site for information on the upcoming DVD releases of James Ivory's Maurice and Quartet."

Anyone else going to check out this collection? I couldn't find any info on Autobiography of a Princess.

They can be had for $20.97-8 with Free Shipping at Digitaleyes.net.

These are the four shown on the website:

Bombay Talkie - A successful English novelist comes to India in search of new sensations in BOMBAY TALKIE. She soon becomes involved with a poverty-stricken film writer and would-be poet, and a dashing, married film star. However, culture-clash and other complications ensue in this early film by James Ivory, starring Sashi Kapoor and Jennifer Kendal.

Heat and Dust - Director James Ivory’s HEAT AND DUST tells two parallel stories set in India, one in the present and the other in the days of British rule. In 1920s India, a young English bride, Olivia (Greta Scacchi), finds herself in a passionate, forbidden affair with the local Nawab (Shashi Kapoor). In the second story, Olivia’s great niece, Anne (Julie Christie), travels to India and there learns of her great aunt's affair with the Nawab, her subsequent pregnancy, and her exile from the British community. Anne's life begins to roughly imitate that of Olivia's when she has an affair with a local Indian administrator (Zakir Hussain) and also becomes pregnant. Merchant Ivory screenwriter Ruth Prawer Jhabvala based the film’s screenplay on her own acclaimed novel of the same name. Jhabvala was raised in England but after meeting her husband, an Indian architect, moved to India, where she lived for 24 years. Her screenplays AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF A PRINCESS, HULLABALOO OVER GEORGIE AND BONNIE’S PICTURES, and HEAT AND DUST reflect her own experiences as a British citizen living in a foreign land. At the time the film was released in 1983, HEAT AND DUST was Merchant Ivory’s biggest commercial success.

The Europeans - Based on the novel by Henry James, THE EUROPEANS takes place in 1840s New England where a cultured but nearly destitute sister and brother, raised in Europe, arrive at the doorstep of their rich but innocently isolated American cousins. Hoping to exchange her sophistication for financial stability, Eugenia (Lee Remick) begins a manipulative wooing of bachelor Robert Acton (Robin Ellis) while her bohemian brother, Felix (Tim Woodward), falls for Gertrude Wentworth (Lisa Eichorn). The puritanical Acton is attracted to Eugenia’s artful ways but cannot find it within himself to trust her overt sensuality. With sumptuous cinematography, director James Ivory subtly articulates the emotions that surface in this Jamesian battle between cosmopolitan mores and stony New England rectitude. Producer Ismail Merchant had difficulty finding financial backing in the United States, and THE EUROPEANS was eventually funded by England’s National Film Finance Corporation. However, when it was chosen as the only British entry at the Cannes Film Festival, the British film community disassociated itself from the movie, considering it not to be British enough. Despite this, THE EUROPEANS became a success for Merchant Ivory Productions in Europe as well as America.

The Bostonians - Adapted from Henry James's novel, THE BOSTONIANS is a stately post-Civil War era drama about strong personalities pitted against one another in a battle of the sexes in which a faith healer's daughter is forced to choose between her mother's religious activities, her passion for women's rights, and her handsome, yet chauvinist, suitor. Directed by James Ivory, the film received two Oscar Nominations, including Best Actress for Vanessa Redgrave.
Old 12-26-03, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't speak for the discs, but both The Bostonians and The Europeans are wonderful films. The Europeans is worth owning simply for the brilliant and beautiful cinematography.
Old 12-26-03, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
is Quartet the Alan Bates, Maggie Smith, Isabelle Adjani film?
Old 12-26-03, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No information on it yet. I'd venture it is the Merchant Ivory edition (I get the feeling that some movies that are Merchant Ivory editions are getting a new DVD and new extras to become the Merchant Ivory Collection, as Amazon lists a bunch of Merchant Ivory films but the Merchant Ivory Collection has only 4 so far).
Old 12-26-03, 11:38 PM

Yes, QUARTET is the Adjani film.
Old 12-27-03, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by ckolchak
is Quartet the Alan Bates, Maggie Smith, Isabelle Adjani film?

Yes, yes, yes....pre-ordered almost 2 months ago when amazon sent me their "you asked for it". Isabelle Adjani-
Old 12-27-03, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Pro it's $20.97 at DVDPlanet, which has free shipping on $25 or above. Release date for Quartet is 2/24/03.
Old 12-27-03, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

o,thank's for the info....but I think I misled you. I received the info from Amazon....but pre-ordered with DDD (21.56$). The difference is too small for me to cancel besides they (DDD) are located in Chicago (where my family lives) and I get their stuff rather quickly.

Thank you for the info though.

Merry Christmas to you and your entire family!!!
Old 12-27-03, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ah

Happy Hannukah to you and yours

So I take it there's a following to these films. All of them seem to have two extras, one of them always being between 50 minutes to an hour. So it's not really packed but the movies seem to be good enough.
Old 12-27-03, 04:50 PM

Still waiting for SLAVES OF NEW YORK
Old 12-27-03, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by GatorDeb
Ah

Happy Hannukah to you and yours
....o, oooohhhhh......I did not know you were Jewish. I am sorry
Happy Hannukah!!

....as to the films....I am actually thrilled to have Quartet on dvd because Isabelle Adjani is my favorite actress....so I HAVE TO HAVE EVERY FILM SHE'S IN ON DVD.

...(which makes me pretty mad as I want Adolphe WITH ENGLISH SUBS.....PLEASE!!!)

(bjackson will back me up I am sure)!!