Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Help! Opened Alien Quad. set for X-mas, NO DISC 3

Old 12-25-03, 09:59 AM

What should I do? Should i try and calling Fox for the disc, or try to return it, knowing the store I got it out is sold out because of X-Mas.
Old 12-25-03, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Return it for a raincheck tomorrow. Watch movies today and smile.

These thinks do happen.
Old 12-25-03, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by speedy1961
Return it for a raincheck tomorrow. Watch movies today and smile.

These thinks do happen.
That they do. There might be some in-stock tomorrow.
Old 12-25-03, 04:33 PM

Besides it's not like anyone is going to be aching to watch #3 first.
Old 12-25-03, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Absolut
Besides it's not like anyone is going to be aching to watch #3 first.
Not Alien 3, Disc 3, which if I'm remembering right would be the first disc of "Aliens," but thanks for the thread crap anyway.

That said, the store will have more in stock in a matter of days. Just exchange it when they do.
Old 12-25-03, 11:14 PM
Cool New Member

Similar thing happened to me today, though not with the Alien Quadrilogy. I got Alias Season Two which I've really been looking forward to and I got no disc five! Instead I got two disc twos. I'm going to try to get an exchange for it tomorrow.
Old 12-26-03, 02:32 AM

Forget about calling Fox. I tried it once when my version of Speed (original) went bad and the CS just told me they don't replace anything. If it goes bad or whatever else happened, go talk to where you got it from.

Anyway, sorry to hear and good luck.
Old 12-28-03, 06:23 PM
Banned

That sux. But sux happens.
Old 12-28-03, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

It really amazes me how many people come here wanting help with scratched or broken discs. Using common sense, do what anybody else would do: Return It. But I guess there will be tons of threads like this popping up every time we turn around.
Old 12-28-03, 08:26 PM
Banned

Just take it back to the store when they get more copies in...
Old 12-28-03, 10:51 PM

What? No disc 3???? Why I ought ah.......
Old 12-29-03, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That's odd cuz someone I work with was just saying how his box set didn't have disc 3 and... wait a tick. New Jersey, eh? AH HA!!

K
Old 12-29-03, 12:16 AM

Remember, if the one you got was purchased at Best Buy, you need the reciept. I went in the other day because I got two gifts that had discs rolling around in them and they were still in their wrapping with Best Buy tags still on them, and they told me they couldn't do anything for me unless I had the reciept- >;( so now I have to gifts that have discs that were scratched because they wouldn't exchange them for me. Grrr Best Buy or at least my Best Buy
Old 12-29-03, 12:17 AM
Banned

I am also amazed that anyone would not know what to do about this. Return it! Why is this such a difficult solution to fathom?
Old 12-29-03, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I understand why "return it to the store" is everyone's first reaction. But I know if I was in this situation, I would be worried about having to return it to my local Best Buy for fear the manager would accuse me of stealing the Aliens DVD. Perhaps my fear is unjustified, but they really seem to over-scrutinize returns around here.
Old 12-29-03, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by rennervision
I understand why "return it to the store" is everyone's first reaction. But I know if I was in this situation, I would be worried about having to return it to my local Best Buy for fear the manager would accuse me of stealing the Aliens DVD. Perhaps my fear is unjustified, but they really seem to over-scrutinize returns around here.
I can understand that feeling. When I bought Half-Baked and there was no DVD inside I thought the same thing. Luckily, the people were really nice (or didn't care) and I got a new DVD.
Old 12-29-03, 10:30 AM
JM1

Not sure if the retail laws are the same in the US as they are in the UK, but over here you always need the receipt.

As long as the item is damaged, faulty or incomplete, it does not matter if you have removed the wrapping, or you don't have the price sticker - the receipt is official proof of purchase.

If the item is damaged or faulty, they are not going to sell it on anyway, but send it back to the suppliers.

If you are exchanging goods for something else, sometimes they will get a little tricky with you if you have removed the packaging, as they will obviously want to sell it on. Kind of makes sense.

I take the point about a missing disc, though. It only happened to me once, and I phoned the store as soon as I got home and discovered it. Luckily they were fine about it. But You gotta see their point, there is not way to prove you have not taken it yourself, and given it to a friend.

Would be interested to know how the law works in this case.

Anyone know?
Old 12-29-03, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by JM1
Would be interested to know how the law works in this case.

Anyone know?
I don't think there is a law per se. Each store makes their own policy.
Old 12-29-03, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by JM1
I take the point about a missing disc, though. It only happened to me once, and I phoned the store as soon as I got home and discovered it. Luckily they were fine about it. But You gotta see their point, there is not way to prove you have not taken it yourself, and given it to a friend.
See that is the difference of opinion. I think the store needs to prove that I stole it, not that I need to prove I didn't. Here in the US there are some stores that are good about handling returns (WalMart, Target) and there are some that are Abysmal (Best Buy).
Old 12-29-03, 11:32 AM
JM1

I don't think there is a law per se. Each store makes their own policy
Is this right? as I say, I know I am in UK, and we have different laws and all that.

But retailers over here have to follow certain rules, I think it's part of the Consumer Protection Act. As a consumer, you are guaranteed certain rights as regards refunds, and stores certainly cannot make their own policy.

Going by what you said, you should consider yourself lucky they exchange a disc at all.

I feel certain that you guys must have some sort of similar Consumer Protection laws.
Old 12-29-03, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by rennervision
Not to go too far off top but... Technically this shoudln't be the case. Best Buy accepts returns without receipts on unopened merchandise that they carry in the store for STORE CREDIT for a few weeks after Christmas (see Store Forum). They also will swap defective merchandise for the same item (they send it back to the publisher/manufacturer for credit themselves).

They shouldn't care that you "stole" it because they lose nothing by giving you store credit. You return TITLE X and get $50 of store credit. They sell TITLE X for $50. It is a wash for them (an even trade), and they get repeat business from you b/c they so nicely bartered your merchandise exchange. (This is of course a perfect world scenario where the manager isn't a complete d!ck who knows nothing about customer service.)

Last edited by rfduncan; 12-29-03 at 11:46 AM.
Old 12-29-03, 11:59 AM
JM1

You return TITLE X and get $50 of store credit. They sell TITLE X for $50. It is a wash for them (an even trade), and they get repeat
Yes, that's fine for a straight exchange, but the point rennervision was making is when you are returning a box set with a disc missing - that is not a straight exchange.

If as others say stores can institute their own policy, then what's to stop them telling you to get lost and not replacing the disk?

This sort of "make it up as you go along" tactics from retailers used to be rife at one time before the laws were changed.

I can remember not so long ago stores used to post "No refunds" signs, and that is now actually illegal.

But I still cannot get a definite handle on exactly how the policy works in the US.
Old 12-29-03, 12:00 PM
Banned

"I understand why "return it to the store" is everyone's first reaction. But I know if I was in this situation, I would be worried about having to return it to my local Best Buy for fear the manager would accuse me of stealing the Aliens DVD. Perhaps my fear is unjustified, but they really seem to over-scrutinize returns around here."

Why would he accuse you of theft if you are requesting an exchange for a complete copy of the set? Also, aside from returning the set, what advice would one expect from members, some "I Love Lucy" cunning plan?
Old 12-29-03, 12:14 PM
JM1

Why would he accuse you of theft if you are requesting an exchange for a complete copy of the set?
OK, lets spell it out then.

You buy a sealed copy of the Alien Quadrilogy from a store. You open it, and it's missing a disc. You take it back, and ask for it to be exchanged for a complete one.

Now put yourself in the store managers shoes. Someone comes back with a box set, and claims there is a disc missing. It's entirely possible the buyer took the disc out, and has passed it on to a friend, and is lying. He cannot prove it of course, but it's possible. He could decide to be an *******, and not give you a replacement.

He may be thinking that the suppliers will not replace the disk, because as far as they are concerned it was supplied complete, and he will therefore be out of pocket because he will have an incomplete box set he cannot sell.

I am speculating here though, I don't know what the policy is on the deals between distributors and outlets in your country.

Though the above scenario is probably unlikely, it is possible. Especially as you guys do not appear to have any laws governing sale of goods (which I still cannot quite believe).
Old 12-29-03, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by JM1
He may be thinking that the suppliers will not replace the disk, because as far as they are concerned it was supplied complete, and he will therefore be out of pocket because he will have an incomplete box set he cannot sell.
If it is open, technically it should not be resold anyway (per most stores return policy of "same item replace only" for recorded media/software). Most studios (like FOX) do not want to be bothered with individual replacements. Larger stores like BB handle defective material like this by the truckload with all their retail outlets. The defective item will be returned to the distribtor and the chain is credited for the return.

Long story short, individual managers are simply trying to "move through the line" in the busy return season. They're paying NOTHING "out of pocket". They don't care if the store loses piddling amounts like this (which, in fact, the store is not)! Now if people were return larger ticket items like TV minus remotes - that is a different story (this is where "open box" items come from - the person returning the item did not get a full refund). I think what this boils down to is misinformed and/or poor store managers who don't take time or were not taught the exact store return policy.

I have been in line at BB returns many times for a WHILE and read their policy. It makes total sense and protects the store. Come one - you know they paid a bunch of corporate lawyer a ton of money to make sure the policy has no loopholes!

Last edited by rfduncan; 12-29-03 at 01:57 PM.