Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Another Godzilla movie coming to R1 DVD!

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-03, 02:31 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Last Fall we got the announcement of Godzilla vs. Megaguirus and Godzilla, Mothra & King Ghidorah: Giant Monster All Out Attack coming out on Region 1 DVD in January '04 (read all about it), now it looks like 2002's Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla will be out on Region 1 DVD the first half of 2004 as well! Click here for info:
henshinonline

With 2004 being the big guy's 50th birthday it looks like it's going to be a banner year for kaiju fans!
Old 12-22-03, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great news man! I'm always interested in some more Godzilla on DVD news!
Old 12-22-03, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmm, I guess it was a waste to get that region free DVD player.
Old 12-23-03, 08:37 AM

Originally posted by cactusoly
Hmmm, I guess it was a waste to get that region free DVD player.
It still gives you the opportunity to see these movies sooner since Hong Kong has had the R3 disc of this out for a while now.

Against Mechagodzilla is coming out on R1 much sooner than the previous 2 though, so I'm hoping that this year's Godzilla Mothra Mechagodzilla: Tokyo SOS will get an even more accelerated R1 release.
Old 01-06-04, 09:16 PM

Looks like we've got cover art and a street date for Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla!!!!!!!!!
CHECK IT OUT!
Old 01-06-04, 09:30 PM

KICKASS!! Definitely great news! It's certainly looking like a big year for the big green dude. Any more rumours about a special (Criterion?) edition of GOJIRA in honour of this anniversary?

Last edited by Damage; 01-07-04 at 12:55 PM.
Old 01-07-04, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,205 Likes on 1,508 Posts
Originally posted by JordanGLC
Looks like we've got cover art and a street date for Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla!!!!!!!!!
CHECK IT OUT!

Nice. (I also highly recommend the site linked above: clubtokyo.org if you have any kind of interest in Godzilla collectibles like I do!)

The title is kind of awkward, but I suppose "Godzilla X Mechagodzilla" doesn't translate too well.

Hopefully we get the recent Godzilla-Mothra-Mechagodzilla:Tokyo SOS soon as well, as I thought that film was even better than its predecessor.
Old 01-07-04, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
It never rains but it pours. This is pretty nice, three in a row in original Japanese. I hope these sell well enough for CTS/Toho to go back and redo the older ones.
Old 01-08-04, 01:22 PM

Ordered All Out Attack from Overstock last night so I did my part. That $5 coupon finally paid off.

BTW - They didn't have Megaguirus in stock.
Old 01-10-04, 09:59 AM

Originally posted by milo bloom
It never rains but it pours. This is pretty nice, three in a row in original Japanese. I hope these sell well enough for CTS/Toho to go back and redo the older ones.
Classic Media (owned by Sony) is looking into releasing Monster Zero, as well as Frankenstein Conquers the World and War of the Gargantuas. The domestic rights of different Showa and Heisei era movies belong to different studios, so hopefully they'll all see Godzilla's 50th birthday as a commercial opportunity and put out discs.
Old 01-10-04, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
I'm still waiting for the release of Godzilla VS Mechagodzilla II (1993?) on R1 DVD.

But I'm really excited about these new releases. 1/27 is going to be a good day for me.
Old 01-10-04, 01:25 PM

Godzilla Vs. Biollante as well as Ghidrah The 3 Headed Monster are 2 must have films on DVD...

Hopefully these will be out soon
Old 01-10-04, 07:27 PM

Originally posted by StrTrkker
Godzilla Vs. Biollante as well
Miramax has domestic rights to Biollante. I go on Kevin Smith's website from time to time, and as you may know Kevin will log on from time to time and do impromptu Q&A sessions. Kevin of course is a Miramax guy, so I kinda mentioned the need for a Gv.Biollante disc:
Silent Bob Speaks
Now, Kevin Smith is obviously a very busy guy, so I'm not expecting much, but hey, you never know.....
Old 01-10-04, 08:50 PM

Classic Media (owned by Sony) is looking into releasing Monster Zero, as well as Frankenstein Conquers the World and War of the Gargantuas. The domestic rights of different Showa and Heisei era movies belong to different studios, so hopefully they'll all see Godzilla's 50th birthday as a commercial opportunity and put out discs.
This would just be too cool for words. I've all but given up on Frankenstein Conquers the World and War of the Gargantuas, two of my favourite Saturday afternoon movies since I was a kid. I'd be all over this like a bad rash!
Old 01-10-04, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Classic Media also released that Godzilla box set last year or so that had three Godzilla movies in pan and scan only whereas Simitar managed to find widescreen prints for them. Thanks for the info, but I'm not holding my breath.

Just thought of something else, I seem to remember Fox did an animated series based on G 98 that I recall some people sorta liking. How was this, and would it be DVD worthy?
I'm not talking about the old Hanna Barbera ones either. Yipes. Just yipes.

Last edited by milo bloom; 01-10-04 at 11:55 PM.
Old 01-11-04, 01:20 AM

Classic Media also released that Godzilla box set last year or so that had three Godzilla movies in pan and scan only whereas Simitar managed to find widescreen prints for them. Thanks for the info, but I'm not holding my breath.
Yeah, "The Ultimate Godzilla Collection" ultimately sucked. At least we got Rodan out of it. Who puts out DVDs that are inferior to what already exists? I'll never figure that out. Hopefully, they try harder this time. I already have Simitar's "Godzilla Collection" box set, so I'm not looking to get Classic's Monster Zero unless it's got something really worthwhile on it or it's really cheap. Frankenstein Conquers the World and War of the Gargantuas I'll get even if they're Alpha Video quality, because at least I'll have them. Here are a couple of threads from the excellent ClubTokyo/MonsterZero message board discussing these hopefully upcoming Classic Media DVDs:
uno thread
dos thread

Originally posted by milo bloomJust thought of something else, I seem to remember Fox did an animated series based on G 98 that I recall some people sorta liking. How was this, and would it be DVD worthy?
I'm not talking about the old Hanna Barbera ones either. Yipes. Just yipes.
Yes, I remember watching a couple of those episodes when it was on TV. It was based on the gino design of Godzilla. Not a bad cartoon. Here's some discussion on that:
tres thread
As for the 70's HB cartoon, c'mon, I know you loved the theme song...
Up from the depths
Thirty stories high
Breathing fire
His head in the sky!
GODZILLA
GODZILLA
GODZILLA

and god-zoo-ky
GODZILLA!!!!!!!
Old 01-11-04, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The theme song was about all it had going for it. And what was the boat commander's name? Captain Majors? Did somebody see Airplane! too many times?

I'm not a member of Club Tokyo so I couldn't read that thread. I thought about joining, but I'm not hardcore enough to sign up for another forum.

thanks
Old 01-11-04, 10:07 AM

oops, didn't realize you had to join to read threads. sorry.

Not hardcore enough? You have a "Godzilla R1 DVDs" link in your signature and a Godzilla dvdaficionado subfolder. How hardcore do you have to be? Someone who flys to Japan and volunteers as an intern at Toho (hey that would be cool)?
Old 01-11-04, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,205 Likes on 1,508 Posts
Miramax has domestic rights to Biollante.
Yeah, and they were so proud to have the rights they worked out a deal to have HBO dump it directly to video and LD (I think that they were originally planning some kind of theatrical release).

It was a miracle that the Simatar discs were released at all. Simatar bought the rights directly from Henry Saperstein, (who originally produced and released the original US theatrical releases of those particular Godzilla films and supplied Simitar with the prints). They neglected to get Toho's permission and apparently Toho was very upset about those releases (at the time, they didn't want nice widescreen prints available on DVD before they did a Japanese release, even though they were in English only).
Old 01-11-04, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

oops, didn't realize you had to join to read threads. sorry.

Not hardcore enough? You have a "Godzilla R1 DVDs" link in your signature and a Godzilla dvdaficionado subfolder. How hardcore do you have to be? Someone who flys to Japan and volunteers as an intern at Toho (hey that would be cool)?
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I say I'm not hardcore because I haven't hacked my DVD player and imported the original cuts. I'm happy enough with what I get, so I don't consider myself too extreme.

The webpage link is just a little piece of fun for my homepage and the DVDAf folder is just because I have this thing about organizing things.

In fact, I may go organize some more stuff on DVDAf right now...
Old 01-11-04, 03:41 PM

I haven't hacked my DVD player and imported the original cuts. I'm happy enough with what I get, so I don't consider myself too extreme.
If those R2s were subtitled I'd be all over them (especially the 3 disc GMK set). I do have bootlegs of Godzilla '84/'85 and Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II, both in Japanese w/English subs, but if they were out on R1 I'd just go with those.
Old 01-11-04, 04:48 PM
Banned

The original Godzilla is rumored to be released by Criterion Collection this year. Keep your fingers crossed.
Old 01-11-04, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If those R2s were subtitled I'd be all over them (especially the 3 disc GMK set). I do have bootlegs of Godzilla '84/'85 and Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II, both in Japanese w/English subs, but if they were out on R1 I'd just go with those.
I've got all the R2 discs (including Frankenstein conquers the World and War of the Gargantuas) and even without the subs, they are very easy to follow. So don't let the lack of subs bother you.
Old 01-11-04, 11:07 PM

Originally posted by buckee1
I've got all the R2 discs (including Frankenstein conquers the World and War of the Gargantuas) and even without the subs, they are very easy to follow. So don't let the lack of subs bother you.
Yeah, I've heard that before, but I'm just not buying it. Years ago I was flipping channels and I saw this drop dead gorgeous woman on a Spanish language station. I still remember the show, Dos Mujeres Un Camino. It also starred of all people Eric Estrada (who I found out later doesn't speak Spanish and learned his lines phonetically). Anyway, I found myself watching this show just to see that girl (I know that sounds SAD, but trust me, she was off the charts). I can't speak or understand Spanish. I could certainly assume what was going on based on body language, expressions, tone of voice, etc. But I am sure there was a lot I was missing.

Try renting a foreign movie and watching it first with no subtitles. Then watch it with the subs. I bet there will be plenty of plot points you missed the first time.

Anyway, for the price of the Toho R2s, I'd want both the movie and all the supplemental material subtitled.
Old 01-16-04, 05:18 PM

Was just checking out IMDB.com to see how many Godzilla movies there are vs how many are on DVD. Geez! How many movies can Toho use the 'Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla' name on? There must be 5 of them.

Is there a definative list somewhere?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.