MIDNITE MOVIES: Next Batch of Releases?

Old 12-19-03, 12:03 AM

MIDNITE MOVIES: Next Batch of Releases?

Has anyone heard anything about the next batch of Midnite Movies from MGM, and what the titles are? I've heard strong rumors that there will be no batch in April like there was in 2003.
Old 12-19-03, 02:01 AM

I haven't heard anything either way, but it may be a little early for an official announcement. I think these are pretty good sellers, so hopefully they will get a new batch together.

They are releasing a new batch of discs from the similar "Soul Cinema" series in January (or so I've read) - maybe this is a good sign that they aren't losing interest in releasing their catalog titles.

Roy

Last edited by Roy28; 12-19-03 at 02:06 AM.
Old 12-19-03, 03:43 AM
Banned

I really wish that they would release The Return Of Count Yorga and The Land That Time Forgot.
Old 12-19-03, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

the rumour i've heard is;
Gassss
Return of Count Yorga
Panic In The Year Zero
Last Man On Earth
are some of the titles.

just a rumour so take it accordingly ( i would be very happy as they are all supposed to be great films).
i believe the schedule is April and Aug, so it will be a little while before anything is officially announced
Old 12-19-03, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

GASSSS - here's hoping! It's one of my priceless VHS titles begging for a better format.
Old 12-19-03, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"Food of the Gods" would be an excellent choice
Old 12-19-03, 08:22 AM

I really wish that they would release The Return Of Count Yorga and The Land That Time Forgot.
These are two of my top wants as well!
the rumour i've heard is;
Gassss
Return of Count Yorga
Panic In The Year Zero
Last Man On Earth
are some of the titles.
I do hope there is some truth to this!
"Food of the Gods" would be an excellent choice
I agree, and it's out in Japan in a new transfer licensed from MGM themselves. No reason why it shouldn't come out here.
Old 12-19-03, 08:41 AM

It'd be awesome to see releases of both Gasss and Return of Count Yorga!
Old 12-19-03, 08:43 AM

I'm hoping for a widescreen release of "The Town That Dreaded Sundown". I have the VHS p&s version, would love to see this one on DVD.

Davey M
Old 12-19-03, 08:57 AM
Cool New Member

I just got a German R2 "Land that Time Forgot."

As opposed to the MGM release (if it ever happens), there are some decent special features (most in English).

Now, I just need "Warlords of Atlantis" and "Arabian Nights" to complete the Kevin Conner/John Dark collection . . .
Old 12-19-03, 09:07 AM
Cool New Member

Don't forget The Quatermass Xperiment!
Old 12-19-03, 09:10 AM

Andrew, how is the transfer on the German LAND THAT TIME FORGOT DVD? I've been thinking about getting it myself.
Old 12-19-03, 04:56 PM

The German LAND THAT TIME FORGOT is anamorphic and available on the German Amazon site. I wish I knew if MGM was ever going to get to this one.
Old 12-20-03, 06:23 AM
Banned

I am amazed that they released The People That Time Forgot before The Land That Time Forgot. Perhaps they forgot which came first.
Old 12-20-03, 03:43 PM

I think they just pick things at random. Do they listen to us fans? The first Yorga film has been out for over two years, but the sequel must be stuck on the Island of Misfit DVDs with The Land That Time Forgot and the second Goldfoot film.
Old 12-22-03, 08:09 AM

I do hope they listen to us. I have e-mailed the [email protected] address many times over the years, and although I never got a response, some of the titles I wanted did come out. There are so may other titles on my list that others here want as well.
Old 12-22-03, 11:11 AM

The problem with LAND THAT TIME FORGOT and RETURN OF COUNT YORGA is that they have turned the Midnite Movies line into a double-feature series and have already released the movies it would make sense to pair those films with, ie LAND/PEOPLE THAT TIME FORGOT and the 2 YORGA pictures. Maybe they'll take the current single-film discs oop and replace them with double-features... otherwise, what do you pair YORGA and PEOPLE with?

PANIC IN YEAR ZERO will probably be doubled with LAST MAN ON EARTH. Those 2 appeared together on a laserdisc double-feature.

With any luck, the next batch will also include THE CONQUEROR WORM (aka WITCHFINDER GENERAL), although MGM will be hard-pressed to top the R2 version of that disc.
Old 12-22-03, 11:57 AM

Maybe they can go back to "single" releases for some of these titles. But they can always double-bill RETURN OF COUNT YORGA with RETURN OF DRACULA, or perhaps another Robert Quarry title like MADHOUSE or SUGAR HILL. How about LAND THAT TIME FORGOT with TENTACLES?

The MGM CONQUEROR WORM may not have the supplements that the Region 2 release has, but I'm sure it will have a far better transfer.
Old 12-22-03, 01:17 PM

>>The MGM CONQUEROR WORM may not have the supplements that the Region 2 release has, but I'm sure it will have a far better transfer.<<

I dunno, the R2 transfer is pretty sweet... especially when you consider it has 2 different cuts of the film, both featuring the original (and far superior) orchestral score, as opposed to the bastardized score used on the previous American VHS release.

I'd LOVE to see SUGAR HILL on DVD, but if MGM does that one (do they even have the rights?) my guess it would be part of the Soul Cinema line, not Midnite Movies (a la BLACULA).
Old 12-22-03, 02:15 PM

MGM owns SUGAR HILL for sure. You're right it would make a great "Soul Cinema" title. Man, I can't wait for the BLACULA discs coming in a matter of weeks!

About CONQUEROR WORM, rumor has it that MGM is remastering it, hopefully with the Paul Ferris soundtrack back where it should be.
Old 12-22-03, 06:54 PM

A lot of these unreleased titles mentioned here show up on pay cable channels a lot lately. Is this a good sign that the DVDs are not far behind?
Old 12-23-03, 08:20 AM

Another old AIP that is showing up on some cable channel is THE DEVIL WITHIN HER. This must be a new MGM transfer, but I don't have the channel, so I'd love to see how it looks, or better yet, have it on DVD.
Old 12-25-03, 12:25 AM
Cool New Member

Gasss and Return of Count Yorga on dvd??

Does it get much better than this?

I think not!
Old 01-07-04, 12:13 AM

As I suspected, no April Midnite Movies. I have also read that RETURN OF COUNT YORGA and MADHOUSE are NOT coming out this year. What a bummer.
Old 01-07-04, 08:08 AM

This negative news really bites.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.