Humorous article on aspect ratio

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-03, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was reading the Onion.com and stumbled upon this little gem: Non-Widescreen DVD Received as Hanukkah Gift . Just thought I'd share.
Old 12-16-03, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love The Onion.
"Tyler's got very specific tastes," Bernie said. "He told us he likes those foreign films. What did he call it? The Criterion Collection. Well, Hannah and I tried to find those, but they didn't have them at Target.
Old 12-16-03, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For those who want to avoid linking:

Non-Widescreen Version Of DVD
Received As Hanukkah Gift

BROOKLYN, NY — Self-described film buff Tyler Rosenstein was disappointed to receive a non-letterboxed "full screen" version of the movie The Matrix Reloaded as a Hanukkah gift, the 19-year-old reported Monday.

"Great," said Rosenstein, concealing his displeasure from his beaming aunt and uncle, Hannah and Bernie Greenberg, as he gazed at the freshly unwrapped DVD in his hand. "Just what I wanted. The Matrix Reloaded."

"With approximately a third of the movie's visual content missing, thanks to 'pan-and-scan,'" he added under his breath.

Rosenstein, a freshman studying philosophy at NYU, said he was momentarily excited to receive the special collector's edition DVD of The Matrix Reloaded, which features more than an hour of supplemental material, including behind-the-scenes footage and a preview of the Enter The Matrix video game. But Rosenstein's joy faded when his eye caught the words "full-screen edition" emblazoned across the top of the box.

Minutes later, Rosenstein's cousin Cory made an exchange of the gift impossible when he insisted that Rosenstein open the DVD to show him the "easter egg."

While Rosenstein thanked his aunt and uncle for the gift, he took leave of the family get-together shortly after dinner and locked himself in his room to sulk.

"It's frustrating, because they came so close to getting me exactly what I wanted," said Rosenstein, lying on his bed and sneering at the DVD. "This is a $30 item. But what am I supposed to do with it? Why would they even release a full-screen Matrix Reloaded, when every single frame of that movie is so artfully composed? Even leaving framing aside, the movie cries out for each of its visual elements to be seen."

"It's an unwatchable piece of crap," said Rosenstein, tossing the DVD onto a pile of gifts that included a sweatshirt and a digital memo recorder.

In spite of his annoyance with the non-letterboxed DVD, Rosenstein said he knew better than to complain to his relatives.

"There's just no way to tell them without coming off like a complete *******," Rosenstein said. "I'm just going to have to eat it."

The Greenbergs remain unaware of their mistake.

"We're so happy that we were able to get Tyler a gift he really wanted this year," Hannah Greenberg said. "You wouldn't believe how hard he is to shop for. He's so picky about his movies. For his birthday, we gave him The Wedding Singer. I thought all the kids liked that Adam Sandler—Cory said he sings a song about Hanukkah. Well, boy, was getting Tyler that movie a mistake!"

This year, instead of guessing, the Greenbergs took a suggestion from Rosenstein's father, who was aware that his son owned the first Matrix movie.

"Tyler's got very specific tastes," Bernie said. "He told us he likes those foreign films. What did he call it? The Criterion Collection. Well, Hannah and I tried to find those, but they didn't have them at Target. We sure didn't want what happened with the wizard movie to happen again."

Bernie spoke in reference to last year, when the Greenbergs came close to finding a gift Rosenstein would like. The misguided couple gave their nephew the theatrical-release version of Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring, instead of the extended version which contains 40 extra minutes of footage—a distinction Rosenstein gently explained to the confused gift-givers.

"If we'd known, we'd have been happy to get him the other version," Hannah said. "Well, this time we were very careful. There were two versions at the store, and we made sure to get the special one. See, Tyler hates it when they cut out part of the movie."

Confusion over the misleading term "full-screen" caused his well-meaning relatives to purchase the inferior version of the DVD.

"Why do they call it 'full-screen' anyway, when it's only two-thirds of the stupid movie?" Rosenstein asked. "****ing bullshit aspect ratio!"

As of press time, Rosenstein had not decided what to do with the DVD.

"I can't trade it to any of my friends," Rosenstein said. "They'd just roll their eyes when they saw it wasn't letterboxed. Basically, I'm screwed. I'm stuck with a product that has no reason to exist."

"I suppose I could just throw it away," Rosenstein continued. "But what if Aunt Hannah or Uncle Bernie asked about it? I'll probably have to just keep this horrible thing on my shelf. I'm trapped, like Neo and the other warriors of Zion, in a fictitious world I never chose to be a part of: an imaginary alternate universe where non-widescreen DVDs are remotely tolerable."

(The ***s were added by DVD Talk, not me or The Onion.)

Last edited by Walter Neff; 12-16-03 at 06:23 PM.
Old 12-16-03, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"It's an unwatchable piece of crap!"

Old 12-16-03, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't know what to think since I agree 100% with the kid's thinking.

Yes, I know it's made up
Old 12-16-03, 07:06 PM

great article
Old 12-16-03, 07:07 PM

Originally posted by JonTurner
I don't know what to think since I agree 100% with the kid's thinking.

Yes, I know it's made up
I know it's made up as well, but I can't help but thinking that if I lived in the US, I could quite easily end up in that situation and feel the same way as the fictional kid ^^;

(Here in the UK, of course, no fullscreen DVD of The Matrix Reloaded exists...)
Old 12-16-03, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Old 12-16-03, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That was great!
As I started reading it, I figured it had to be from The Onion, a great site that a friend told me about a few years ago. They've done some absolutely brilliant spoof journalism over the years.
Old 12-17-03, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

too funny
Old 12-17-03, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

That's exactly how I felt last year when my sister got me the Minority Report full-screen DVD for Christmas, but I was able to exchange it (she knows I'm a widescreen nut, but the packaging wasn't very clear). I know what the poor kid's going through...
Old 12-17-03, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm stuck with a product that has no reason to exist.
How true.
Old 12-17-03, 03:12 AM

Old 12-17-03, 04:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Just thought I'd point out, this has been posted before, although I think perhaps it is better in DVD Talk than in Other Talk

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=336084

There was also a second thread on it earlier, but it was deleted by the original poster.

Jeesh..I have way too much time on my hands. I apologize. I really need a life.

Last edited by muggins; 12-17-03 at 04:04 AM.
Old 12-17-03, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Great article. I would feel the same way. Luckily most of my family avoids this by buying me gift certificates.
Old 12-17-03, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,072 Posts
... a product that has no reason to exist.
If I had a gospel, this would be one of the commandments.
Old 12-17-03, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by muggins
Just thought I'd point out, this has been posted before, although I think perhaps it is better in DVD Talk than in Other Talk
I think it is, and I'm really glad it was posted here, for the benefit of those of us (like me!) who don't read the Other forum.

Rob
Old 12-17-03, 10:21 AM

Great article. I'll bet it will happen to plenty of people this holiday season.

Lucky for me, my family knows to buy widescreen. I'm by far the DVD fanatic in the family. My younger brother would be closest to me in liking DVDs and he has 40 (to my 400). They do prefer widescreen and know that I do, so there's never been an issue with me receiving the wrong version. It's nice that way.
Old 12-17-03, 07:03 PM

Luckily my GF would be the only person buying me DVDs and she knows wider is better.
Old 12-17-03, 08:56 PM
Suspended

Why would they even release a full-screen Matrix Reloaded, when every single frame of that movie is so artfully composed?
About the Matrix? *snicker* Now I KNOW it's the Onion. No sane newspaper would call anything to do with that film 'artful'.
Old 12-18-03, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by dvd2001
That was great!
As I started reading it, I figured it had to be from The Onion, a great site that a friend told me about a few years ago. They've done some absolutely brilliant spoof journalism over the years.
Actually, it's a great *paper*. The 'site' is a johnny-come-lately development.

-- DrMoze [who has an Onion paper box right on the corner, 3 doors away, and gets each week's issue hot off the press.]
Old 12-18-03, 11:08 AM

It's funny because it's true. BTW, did you know Tyler Rosenstein is a DVDtalk member? He goes by the ID, Neo_OAR.
Old 12-18-03, 11:51 AM

Received 114 Likes on 93 Posts
I thought this thread sounded familiar.
Old 12-18-03, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 241 Likes on 165 Posts
I just received a copy of the fullscreen version of Seabiscuit through the my company's Secret Santa Gift Exchange.
Old 12-18-03, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
"No reason to exist" very poetic sounding don't you think?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.