Community
Search

Universal is at it again with forced trailers on American Wedding

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-03, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by talemyn
I like trailers at the beginning . . . in the days of VHS (and sometimes now), that's where I learned about some of the little known gems that I would never have known about
I agree, but after I've seen the trailers a couple of times, I've seen them enough for awhile. That's when I start to wish the DVD would go straight to the menu.

And thanks for the additional sig line!
Old 12-16-03, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"Forced trailers" at the theater are not quite the same, because at least at the theater you will see different trailers for the movies. It's not like you're going to see the same trailers over and over again each time you go and see movies. Also, if trailers at the theater really bother you, you have the option of going into the theater 15 minutes late. With a DVD you buy with the intent to add to your personal collection, you have to deal with those same trailers each and everytime you decide to watch your DVD. That is rather annoying, whether you have to fast forward them or whatever.

Also, whether or not you can get past the trailers, there is still a point to be made that movies have sold, and successfully I will add, for years upon years without the need for forced trailers on DVDs. Millions upon millions of DVDs have come out since 1997, the bulk majority of them without forced trailers, and some how movies and DVDs continue to generate sales and viewers and continue to be successful. Maybe that's because most people are like me and are more apt to check out the trailers in the "bonus" section of a DVD if they want to.

I don't understand the gradual acceptance for this kind of treatment to DVD in consideration of the near Holy War most posters were calling for against Buena Vista for forced trailers on Sixth Sense when that came out. It wasn't acceptable then, it's not acceptable now. Maybe for a rental product only I could see it, a product that would either be sent back to the distributor or simply sold as previously viewed, but for product sold in the stores, I don't think forced trailers are necessary. If they are necessary, then the advertising dollars going into the marketing should allow the studio to knock five bucks off the price for the inconvenience, and even then I am still importing the title or going with out, hoping for a SE later on without the forced trailers.
Old 12-16-03, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I never really cared before, still don't care now. I'll buy the DVD. Annoying? Yes. But that's about it.
Old 12-16-03, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personally, I like the discs that go straight to the movie without opening to the menu and let me pick the audio track with my audio button, without having to navigate through menus.
You'll get that when you 'rip' a DVD.
Old 12-16-03, 08:32 PM

Maybe in the future, the forced trailers will only play once.. the first time u ever insert ur DVD into ur player.
Old 12-16-03, 09:27 PM

You could actually do that if you watch DVDs on a computer (even though watching flicks on a PC sucks) by bookmarking the movie at the menu so it skips the forced trailers/FBI warnings. Would be kinda neat if they could implement this into DVD players.
Old 12-17-03, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by bunkaroo
Previews at the movies=OK
Commercials at the movies=homicidal killing spree

At least that's how I feel sometimes...
I have never leaned towards hate crimes, but if I ever saw those three jackasses from the MovieTickets.com ads, I would probably end up on the national news. AAAGGHH!
Old 12-17-03, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sorta on topic, I saw a GO Video DVD player on QVC that they were showing a feature that when turned on would always go straight to the movie, avoiding trailers ad's and even the menu. This was a player designed for kiddies but wonder if this feature has made it to any other players and if it works?

Heres the list of features:

Reclaim your home entertainment system by giving the kids their own with this Go Video GoJr. Kid's DVD Player and Karaoke Machine. This kid-friendly component handles multiple formats so young ones can enjoy watching movies, listening to music and even singing along. Big, colorful, function-specific buttons make it easy for kids to operate. Features: EZ Play function to jump directly to the movie's beginning; big-button remote with carrying handle; 2 karaoke inputs and 2 microphones; top-loading player for DVD, DVD Video, Audio CD, Picture CD, MP3, JPEG on CD-R/W and karaoke CD+G; no-slip rubber feet; parental control; composite and S-Video outputs; 2 mono audio inputs; 1 analog L/R audio output; composite audio/video cable; user's manual; quick start guide; and sample CDG karaoke disc.

Last edited by cseyer; 12-17-03 at 07:33 AM.
Old 12-17-03, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally posted by fumanstan
I never really cared before, still don't care now. I'll buy the DVD. Annoying? Yes. But that's about it.

Exactly, really hard to push fast forward for a minute to by pass them...
Old 12-17-03, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And if they decide, as the next logical step, to take away the option to FF, as they have with the menu and stop functions?
Old 12-17-03, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by cseyer
Sorta on topic, I saw a GO Video DVD player on QVC that they were showing a feature that when turned on would always go straight to the movie, avoiding trailers ad's and even the menu. This was a player designed for kiddies but wonder if this feature has made it to any other players and if it works?

Heres the list of features:

Reclaim your home entertainment system by giving the kids their own with this Go Video GoJr. Kid's DVD Player and Karaoke Machine. This kid-friendly component handles multiple formats so young ones can enjoy watching movies, listening to music and even singing along. Big, colorful, function-specific buttons make it easy for kids to operate. Features: EZ Play function to jump directly to the movie's beginning; big-button remote with carrying handle; 2 karaoke inputs and 2 microphones; top-loading player for DVD, DVD Video, Audio CD, Picture CD, MP3, JPEG on CD-R/W and karaoke CD+G; no-slip rubber feet; parental control; composite and S-Video outputs; 2 mono audio inputs; 1 analog L/R audio output; composite audio/video cable; user's manual; quick start guide; and sample CDG karaoke disc.
I believe you can do this with most players. They usually have that type of option in the setup menu.
Old 12-17-03, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by retihsuhnt
Previews can be the best part of movies, look at Matrix Reloaded for christ sakes. The only redeeming quality of that movie was the previews beforehand.
Ouch. If you go to a movie just to see the trailers that is pretty sad IMO.

Me? I find it offensive when I am shown previews for films I would never want to see. If I am going to be spammed by ads then I don't expect to pay, period. My time should be subsidized by the advertisers at that point. Same thing applies to theaters and DVDs.
Old 12-17-03, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by steebo777
I believe you can do this with most players. They usually have that type of option in the setup menu.
Really! Does it work?? I have two Sony players and a JVC and I dont remeber seeing any option like this. It would be great to skip those forced trailers, and even the ones that you can skip automatically if possible.
Old 12-17-03, 12:21 PM

Originally posted by Mr. Salty
I hate these forced trailers, and I did write to Universal about the problem (snail mail, not e-mail) and I got a response back. They are aware that people are unhappy with this practice, so if it's an issue you feel strongly about, please take a few minutes to write Universal Home Video a letter (the address is on the back of the DVD).

In the meantime, I've posted these instructions before, and they've worked for all the Universal DVDs I've tried:

1) Press Stop during the copyright warning at the beginning of the disc. If you wait until after the copyright warning, you're screwed.

2) Press Menu.
Some may not mind doing that, but I still feel that it's not up to us to find work arounds for a DVD that shouldn't have this issue in the first place.
Old 12-17-03, 12:36 PM

Originally posted by calhoun07
"Forced trailers" at the theater are not quite the same, because at least at the theater you will see different trailers for the movies. It's not like you're going to see the same trailers over and over again each time you go and see movies. Also, if trailers at the theater really bother you, you have the option of going into the theater 15 minutes late. With a DVD you buy with the intent to add to your personal collection, you have to deal with those same trailers each and everytime you decide to watch your DVD. That is rather annoying, whether you have to fast forward them or whatever.

Also, whether or not you can get past the trailers, there is still a point to be made that movies have sold, and successfully I will add, for years upon years without the need for forced trailers on DVDs. Millions upon millions of DVDs have come out since 1997, the bulk majority of them without forced trailers, and some how movies and DVDs continue to generate sales and viewers and continue to be successful. Maybe that's because most people are like me and are more apt to check out the trailers in the "bonus" section of a DVD if they want to.

I don't understand the gradual acceptance for this kind of treatment to DVD in consideration of the near Holy War most posters were calling for against Buena Vista for forced trailers on Sixth Sense when that came out. It wasn't acceptable then, it's not acceptable now. Maybe for a rental product only I could see it, a product that would either be sent back to the distributor or simply sold as previously viewed, but for product sold in the stores, I don't think forced trailers are necessary. If they are necessary, then the advertising dollars going into the marketing should allow the studio to knock five bucks off the price for the inconvenience, and even then I am still importing the title or going with out, hoping for a SE later on without the forced trailers.

You Said it man. I 100% agree with everything you said.
Old 12-17-03, 12:51 PM

Originally posted by aaryn
You'll get that when you 'rip' a DVD.
Sadly, the only title I can think of right now that I know does this is Virus.
Old 12-17-03, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I hate 'forced marketing'. I hate 'focus studies'. These people basically lump humans into the 'cows eat grass so they'll eat weeds too' category and then they shove this stuff down your throat.

In the NBA, David Stern is trying to push the WNBA down every fan's throats. If you love the NBA, you'll love the WOMEN's NBA! Umm... no. They don't dunk or even jump for that matter and they have no upper body strength.

In comics: If you liked Spider Man you'll love Spider WOMAN!So here's a bonus story with her, instead of spider man...

In DVD's it's - If you loved Fast and the Furious here's the same movie with motorcycles!

Yeehaw...

Getting tired here.
Old 12-17-03, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Should I point out again that we never had this problem when LaserDisc was the preferred medium of videophiles? I don't think that *ANY* LDs were released with trailers at the beginning, much less ones you couldn't skip.

Don't get me wrong, I love my DVD player, but it really burns me to no end that the standards allowed DVD authoring to block out features. Nothing gets me angrier than wanting to switch audio tracks, only to find out I have to go back to the main menu in order to do it. It's about time someone started selling mod chips for DVD players that allow all the buttons on your remote to work, no matter what the DVD says...

-Jason (ducking from the inevitable flames)

Last edited by fuzzbox; 12-17-03 at 03:47 PM.
Old 12-17-03, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So true, it is kinda refreshing to throw an LD in now and see the movie spin right up, menu and ad free. I guess for those prices they better not screw around. Hell we even got them free of Macrovision encoding. I guess laserphiles were above pirating!
Old 12-17-03, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree it's a pain in the ass, but on the other hand, I don't get to go to the movies much, so purchasing DVDs is my only option. So NOT buying the DVD to make a point sucks if it's a movie I really want to watch.
Old 12-17-03, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You know how you can't fast forward or skip through the FBI warnings? Some day, they'll code previews or advertising like that...you can't fast forward or skip through them.
Old 12-17-03, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh yeah that is certainly next. Universal is just testing the waters and seeing how people react to having to FF through the ads now. If no one complains...kill the FF button. We like the ads. The other studios will pick up on this and do it as well. Next would be little pop-up ads during the movie and then onto actual non-skippable commercial breaks within the film. Where would it end?
Old 12-17-03, 09:33 PM

gosh, I just bought three Universal catalog titles (released within the last 6 months) and there were no forced anything on them! After the FBI warning, it went straight to the menu.

well that's the end of my story
Old 12-18-03, 09:31 AM
Cool New Member

I don't have a problem with trailers. I simply copy the dvd, lopping off the trailers, leaving only what I want. THX trailers? I add them in. Dolby Digital Trailers? I add those in. I end up with a Dolby Digital trailer followed by a cool THX trailer, then straight into the movie, no menu.

And that's possible with most movies, with a perfect copy.

Given that next year or sooner we'll have dual layer 9gig+ blank dvd media and burners, I see DVD's going the way of CD's- people with burn their own compilations.

Ah yes, sweet dvd joy.

Did they leave off the "Making Of" from the DVD? Find it, and burn it to the DVD yourself. Did they leave off available Music videos? Find them, and add them to your new improved DVD. I can hardly wait.
Old 12-18-03, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Cogliostro
I don't have a problem with trailers. I simply copy the dvd, lopping off the trailers, leaving only what I want. THX trailers? I add them in. Dolby Digital Trailers? I add those in. I end up with a Dolby Digital trailer followed by a cool THX trailer, then straight into the movie, no menu.

And that's possible with most movies, with a perfect copy.
Right now, no it isn't. You either have to re-encode the video using a higher level of compression so that it fits on a single disc, or you have to split the movie over two discs.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.