The Omega Man - two versions?

Old 12-15-03, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The Omega Man - two versions?

I was under the impression that there had been only one version of this movie, but recently the copies we've been getting in stock at work (Borders) are different than the one released back in August.

These have different cover art -- what the Digital Bits had showing for an upcoming cover way back when and DVD Price Search still shows as the cover, both full and widescreen (presumably a double-sided disc), and I don't think it has any of the special features that are on the other DVD. I don't believe these are Canadian copies, as their rating logo isn't on the box anywhere and Amazon.ca's listing appears to be identical to Warner's US version.

Anyone seen these before? I'm almost tempted to buy a copy in case it turns out to be some sort of DVD oddity.
Old 12-15-03, 05:07 PM

Yours isn't the only borders that has them. Somebody else mentioned this on another forum:
My best guess is that they had a bunch ready to ship in 1999 and then at the last minute, they postponed it. But obviously they still had some laying around. They certainly wouldn't print up new ones. The back cover is also entirely different than the 2003 version.
Old 12-15-03, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thats very interesting. I doubt that I would buy it though since I already have the recent release. As I recall back then it was postponed atleast 2 or so months before it was to be released. But maybe they already had shipped some.
Old 12-15-03, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw this at the Border's in Romeoville/Bolingbrook Sat night. I dropped a hint about as subtle as a sledgehammer to my wife and they are both sitting under the Christmas tree right now

Makes you wonder if there really are copies of Independence Day and MIB sitting in a warehouse beside the Ark? Also Duel, Beavis and Butthead, and possibly even that long ago rumored 1997 release of the Star Wars trilogy?

Anyways, it's a curiosity, nothing more, but one I couldn't pass up at that price.
Old 12-27-03, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, cracked them both open, seems they must have had the old cases sitting around and just put the new disc in as there's artwork on top. According to the back it's one of WB's old WS/FS dual siders, but it looks like they're just putting in the new WS only SE.

Still an interesting little variant.
Old 12-28-03, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Interesting! Thanks for the into, milo.