Chaplin Collection 2

Old 12-15-03, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Chaplin Collection 2

Don't know how this got by everyone. DavisDVD announced the news on Wed:

http://www.davisdvd.com/news/daily_news.html

This one will be a 13 or 14 disc set (not clear on whether the doc will also be two discs). Seems that they would have broken them up more evenly.

I'm excited.

Dan
Old 12-15-03, 02:09 AM

Available on March 2nd. I'm glad we finally have a date.

Thanks for the link.
Old 12-15-03, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

All I know is that I can't wait to have a copy of City Lights in my grubby little mitts.
Old 12-15-03, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the news!
Old 12-15-03, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Very excellent news. I can't wait to get this!

MATT
Old 12-15-03, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Don't these studios know I'm trying not to spend as much on DVDs for the next few months?
Old 12-15-03, 12:43 PM

Originally posted by FatTony
All I know is that I can't wait to have a copy of City Lights in my grubby little mitts.
Please see my post here for info about City Lights.
Old 12-15-03, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Woohoo!...and released on the day after my birthday...Couldn't have planned that any better if they tried!
Old 12-15-03, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Will 'The Kid', 'A Woman of Paris', and 'A King In New York' have the scenes which were removed from later cuts of the film on the DVD at all? I'm assuming they'll be the final cuts (as with 'Modern Times'), based on what they've said previously, but I'm wondering if pressure from the fans will force them to at least include the scenes as supplementary material (as with, again, 'Modern Times').

I mean, I bought the Image versions of those anyway, and won't be selling them off unless the new releases have those cuts (I may buy the DVDs at some point for the other extras, though; I'm planning to do that with 'Modern Times' but haven't bought it yet), but I was wondering about those.

[Based on the doc TCM showed after 'The Kid' last night -- another "Chaplin Today" doc -- I'd say the scenes are definitely not in the movie itself.]

Also, I had heard that there was going to be some problem with 'The Chaplin Revue', something that Image had corrected on 'The First National Collection' but which WB (or maybe the Chaplin Estate) wasn't going to do for that release, but I can't remember what it was and can't find it now.
Old 12-15-03, 04:31 PM

Originally posted by ThatGuamGuy
Will 'The Kid', 'A Woman of Paris', and 'A King In New York' have the scenes which were removed from later cuts of the film on the DVD at all? I'm assuming they'll be the final cuts (as with 'Modern Times'), based on what they've said previously, but I'm wondering if pressure from the fans will force them to at least include the scenes as supplementary material (as with, again, 'Modern Times').

I mean, I bought the Image versions of those anyway, and won't be selling them off unless the new releases have those cuts (I may buy the DVDs at some point for the other extras, though; I'm planning to do that with 'Modern Times' but haven't bought it yet), but I was wondering about those.

[Based on the doc TCM showed after 'The Kid' last night -- another "Chaplin Today" doc -- I'd say the scenes are definitely not in the movie itself.]

Also, I had heard that there was going to be some problem with 'The Chaplin Revue', something that Image had corrected on 'The First National Collection' but which WB (or maybe the Chaplin Estate) wasn't going to do for that release, but I can't remember what it was and can't find it now.
Based on the contents of the Warner/mk2 R2 UK "Complete" box set (which I own):

* The 2-disc The Kid contains 6 minutes of scenes deleted by Chaplin for the 1971 re-release
* The single-disc A King in New York contains 16 minutes worth of 14 deleted scenes
* The single-disc A Woman of Paris contains 6 minutes of deleted scenes.

None of these are available by seamless branching. The Chaplin Estate has been doggedly faithful to Chaplin's late-career revisionism (unfortunately, IMHO).

Please see my post here for extensive discussion about the First National shorts.
Old 03-13-04, 06:52 PM

I bought this set today.Wanted to know is there a volume 3 coming out too? And what will be included if there is? Thanks
Old 03-13-04, 07:11 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

any good deals for this? maybe some "buy collection 1 and 2 and get a big discount" type of hting?
Old 03-14-04, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Kolchak
I bought this set today.Wanted to know is there a volume 3 coming out too? And what will be included if there is? Thanks

I kinda doubt it. If memory serves, the 2 sets cover most if not all of Chaplin's feature films, and Warner/MK2 might not have gotten any rights for the other Chaplin shorts.
Old 03-14-04, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I preordered this on amazon and received it almost 2 weeks ago!

Needless to say, I still have yet to get through all the discs in the huge set....
Old 03-14-04, 05:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I love this set!!..Chaplin IS/WAS the greatest. (sorry Muhammad Ali)

My only "minor" complaint is the box is too freakin big. As soon as i unwrapped the plastic it fell apart. This should have been in a stronger box

..But like I said there's so much stuff in here it's worth every penny..The 2 hour documentary on his life was very interesting and I loved Johnny Depp's soundbite about the famous roll dance

City Lights is just brilliant. The whole flower seuqence at the beginning with the blind girl and the heartbreaking ending is pure movie magic

RIP Mr Chaplin

Last edited by shanester; 03-14-04 at 03:45 PM.
Old 03-14-04, 08:48 AM

Originally posted by shanester
My only "minor" complaint is the box is too freakin big. As soon as i unwrapped the plastic it fell apart. This should have been in a stronger box
I wonder if yours got beat up in the mail or something, because my box, while not exactly thick and sturdy, has certainly held up and not fallen apart.
Old 03-14-04, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Image Entertainment and Film Preservation Associates released a 7-disc set of all of the Mutual and Essanay shorts made by Chaplin. (look for the set that includes the "Chaplin's Goliath" documentary on Eric Campbell)

If all of the surviving Keystones were to be released to DVD (Kino or FPA is possibly working on a set, not certain though), the entire body of Chaplin's films would be on DVD.

Oh... MK2 might be coming out with a newly restored version of "Tillie's Punctured Romance." However, Image already has a DVD out (of a mediocre print, though). The rest of the Keystones are on various awful public domain DVD's and the excellent "Slapstick Encyclopedia" set from Image.
Old 04-07-04, 11:00 PM

Are there any reviews that compare the set to the Image versions? The first collection had picture quality issues for Region 1.

I need to figure out which release of The Circus I want to get, and if I want to pick up City Lights again.