ROTK:EE release?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-03, 07:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you think we are we going to have to wait all the way to Nov. for the EE ROTK DVDs like we did with FOTR and TTT?

i don't know exactly what the process is to make a DVD box set the size of the EEs. were the previous EEs held back to coincide with the release of the next installments? or is it just the case that these DVDs take a year to make?
Old 12-14-03, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Why would they want to release the EE sooner?

Any sooner and it would get in the way of the standard release...unless they're going to move that one up as well.

It's possible that could happen, but I don't see why New Line would have any interest in releasing it any sooner than they do...especially with the fact that they also release a gift set on the same day. Mid November is a good point to release it as it gets a slight jump on the X-Mas crowd, it's in stores on Black Friday, but it hasn't been there very long.

From a business standpoint, it makes no sense to release it sooner. Let the 2-disc do what its going to do, and then bring in the EE. This process has worked for the first two films, so I don't seem them changing it.
Old 12-14-03, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it wasn't a matter of holding it back to coincide with the newer films. it was a matter that they were working post production on the new film as well as doing double duty working on the EE's.

I dont have any reason to believe they will push the dates up any. the standard around june/july and the EE around november sounds like it would make sense.
Old 12-14-03, 08:37 AM
Banned

I hope they up the dates...since they dont have any LOTR stuff to work on besides the EE of ROTK..I'd like to see the Theatrical of ROTK in June and the EE in August...
Old 12-14-03, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,324 Likes on 965 Posts
You bring up a good point. Since there isn't a movie in progress, the release date is more liquid this time. They might fudge a little, especially if Peter wants to get moving on King Kong.

That said, they'll probably keep to the same timeline

But since they can focus solely (well, for the most part) on the DVD releases, the EE of Return of the King should be one helluva release.
Old 12-14-03, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by QuiGonJosh
I'd like to see the Theatrical of ROTK in June and the EE in August...
Now that is absurd.
Old 12-14-03, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
yup. no way would they do it a month apart, people will very easily just wait instead of getting both.
Old 12-14-03, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 947 Likes on 668 Posts
Why is that absurd? Sounds reasonable to me.
Old 12-14-03, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

read above. no one would NOT wait a month for extended edition instead of buying the theater version. it doesn't make sense on a business aspect of it all.
Old 12-14-03, 09:10 AM
Banned

what theres just two months between the Theatrical and EE's as is...so whats the difference...
Old 12-14-03, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

two months is a lot different then one month. the average buyer will see two months as a long wait.
Old 12-14-03, 09:38 AM
Banned

okay...well then June and Sept.
Old 12-14-03, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hopefully, we'll see the theatrical release by May and the extended by August.

On the other hand, they may want to use the previous schedules so the extended edition is released just before Christmas (sales).
Old 12-14-03, 10:21 AM

I know this is kinda off the subject and it may have been asked already but does anyone know or think, that the National Geographic: Beyond The Movie - Return Of The King DVD will come with the gift set of the Return of the Ring extended edition.

I'm thinking of picking this DVD up next week but I could probably wait for the Extended Edition Gift Set.
Old 12-14-03, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

ROTK is one of those movies that will play in the theaters for a long time, then you have the 2 disk and finally the EE will be released.

Sorry, no change in the schedule.
Old 12-14-03, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
two months is a lot different then one month. the average buyer will see two months as a long wait.
Well, none of us are the average buyer.
Old 12-14-03, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 950 Likes on 658 Posts
No change in the schedule will be made.

They could've easily moved up the theatrical release of TTT and ROTK - and didn't. They could've easily released both versions of the TTT DVDs at the same time - but didn't.

There's money to be made, New Line and Peter Jackson are going to milk it for all it's worth.

And you can bet there'll be a more definitive release of all 3 DVDs the following year. Milk, milk, milk.
Old 12-14-03, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
Uh, you do know that June and August are two months apart, right? Right?!
Old 12-14-03, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by ben12
he can't spell, you expect he can tell time?

Old 12-14-03, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally posted by Seeker
he can't spell, you expect he can tell time?

zing!
Old 12-14-03, 12:14 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

PREMATURE!
Old 12-14-03, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by ben12
it was a little bit early in the morning. either way, the time difference still remains. Just like it wouldn't be a smart move to release this film six weeks after theater release on dvd. they would eat into there own profit. You tell someone that one version comes out june and the other in november they will buy the first for the time being.
Old 12-14-03, 06:15 PM

This was reported in The Digital Bits rumor column back in early November.. in this post there is a breakdown of the quarterly Marvel conference call giving updates on various franchises. Well if you notice towards the end of the report, they say that one of the reps let it slip on the call that the theatrical version of ROTK would be out on DVD in May '04, possibly indicating that the EE will be bumped up as well.
Old 12-14-03, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
There's no reason why both of the dvd's couldn't come out earlier next year. An April/May release for the theatrical and a summer release for the EE would be nice. Although i'm not the biggest LOTR fan, i'd like the complete the collection of EE's
Old 12-14-03, 08:07 PM

it was a little bit early in the morning. either way, the time difference still remains. Just like it wouldn't be a smart move to release this film six weeks after theater release on dvd. they would eat into there own profit. You tell someone that one version comes out june and the other in november they will buy the first for the time being.
How does two months equal 6 weeks?

Most likely if one was June and the other in Aug they space them even more than two solid months apart.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.