So I just bought this dvd cabinet

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-03, 10:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't believe i spent over 150, which isn't that much in comparison from what others have spent, but my collection hit the 200 mark and i might as well get set for future buys. i gotta do what i gotta do. anyone else have this cabinet or anything similar to it?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....oryId=cat03118

Last edited by crow121; 12-09-03 at 10:16 PM.
Old 12-09-03, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay! Thanks for sharing!
Old 12-09-03, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 515 Likes on 338 Posts
I really need to get a simlar shelf or cabinet that'll close up. I just keep all my DVDs on basic book shelves and every month or so the DVD cases all have a good layer of dust on them. It looks pretty nasty. But I've been pretty transent for the last few years, so I keep from buying any new piece of furniture knowing I'll just have to drag it to some new home in a few months or so.
Old 12-09-03, 10:36 PM

Just get some canned air and a vacuum hose, should do the trick.
Old 12-10-03, 05:19 AM

I have always preferred closed storage solutions. The only problem with these, is that they fill up too quickly. I purchased a similar unit last year for around $100, but I have quickly outgrown it, so I will need to add another one soon. I have movies stacked all over the place. I hate the "blockbuster" look in the living room.
Old 12-10-03, 05:56 AM
Banned

I don't like closed cabinets. I want to see my treasures.
Old 12-10-03, 07:02 AM

I use this for my cd´s and DVD's:

http://www.ikea.co.uk/webapp/wcs/sto...ts=10104*10170
Old 12-10-03, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have something like that and its pretty good, but it sucks when you have to shift all your titles on those multiple shelves every time you add a disc. I wish I had one big open wall unit. Living in a small apartment sucks.
Old 12-10-03, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've seen that one. It's the cheezy particle board, and I'd be very concerned about the sturdiness of the hinges when opening and closing the heavy, filled doors. I have a large 'open' shelf unit (longer shelves are better IMO) and I may hang a curtain/print over the front to keep out dust and make it look nicer (retractable off course!).
Old 12-10-03, 09:45 AM

I wouldnt leave mine in the open. Light destroys ink.

If you leave dvds out in the light, any UV in the room will ruin your spines.

I used to have a cabinet like that and the actual capacity was far less than advertised.
Old 12-10-03, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by wmunn
I have always preferred closed storage solutions. The only problem with these, is that they fill up too quickly. I purchased a similar unit last year for around $100, but I have quickly outgrown it, so I will need to add another one soon. I have movies stacked all over the place. I hate the "blockbuster" look in the living room.
Have you considered the Can-am media storage cabinets? I have six of their 3 drawer cabinets and it completely stores my DVD and CD collection with massive room left for the collection to grow. They're incredibly well made, but a bit expensive.

Can-Am
Old 12-10-03, 10:08 AM
Banned

I don't think that most of us leave our DVD's exposed to direct sunlight, which is the only way they would become faded.

That Can-Am looks interesting, but I still like to see my collection. Still, it does hold a large number of DVD's.
Old 12-10-03, 10:24 AM
Cool New Member

@crow121 (and no, this isn't me talking to myself ) :

I've been looking at that exact cabinet for some time debating whether I should buy it. If you use the cabinet entirely for DVDs, how much space is wasted? Even though the shelves are adjustable, from the pictures I've seen it looks like there'll still be a considerable gap either above or below the discs.
Old 12-10-03, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 137 Posts
I just got two of these, and I have mixed feelings. The wood seems pretty sturdy, but I too am concerned about the long term effects of weight on the hinges.

The crappiest part of this unit is definitely the locking functions. Basically, the left hand door is "locked" by pushing a plastic deadbolt up into a pre-drilled whole in the bottom of the roof of the cabinet. So you kind of have to get the door just at the right place to have it click in. Since this "deadbolt" basically relies on being screwed into particle board, I surmise it would be quite easy to pull out. Also, the lever on this deadbolt will push hard into whatever DVD is on the top shelf where the door closes, so be prepared to either leave that spot open or have a dented DVD spine.

The second door then locks by having the locking mechanism latch into a slot cut in the roof of the cabinet. The locks that come with these cabinets are s&*t. One of them came apart in a week. The whole mechanism pulled out of it's *plastic* casing and all the innards fell out. Nice. Fortunately it is a pretty standard lock size and I was able to find metal replacements at Home Depot that were the exact same size. Funny thing is, the locks I bought at Home Depot were only $2.97 each, which begs to question, on a cabinet that costs this much, couldn't Prepac shell out a couple bucks extra for a sturdy lock?

Also, like most cabinets of this caliber the back is basically thick cardboard held on by hammered tacks.

One more thing-400 DVD's? No way. 340 at best. Then add in double disc sets and you fit even less. Basically I'm able to get 15 or 16 DVD on each door shelf, plus about 35 per regular shelf.

Also, be sure to measure the where to put the permanent shelf before assembling based on what media you'll be storing. The instructions mention this in passing, but the illustration will lead you in a very bad direction-I had to take the first one almost all the way apart to fix a mistake, although it was partly my fault for working too fast.

Overall, they're not bad, but not worth ~$170 IMO. As far as security, they should be good to keep out children, family or friends/roommates with sticky fingers, but someone serious about breaking into these things could probably do so in about 30 seconds.

I mainly got them to A) have more storage room than my current racks, and B) prevent my rental complex staff from being able to see and possibly handle the DVD's while in the apartment.

EDIT-psycrow, about an inch or so is wasted above each DVD shelf in the main part, a little less on the doors. The shelf spaces are tall enough to handle sets like Band Of Brothers and Six Feet Under.

Last edited by bunkaroo; 12-10-03 at 03:10 PM.
Old 12-10-03, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
I use two of these for now in black, but would like to purchase some of these as soon as I'm done purchasing new speakers for the HT.
Old 12-10-03, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
I like this one from IKEA, which I'll be buying in the very near future.

[link]http://www.ikea-usa.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10101&storeId=12&productId=12762&langId=-1&parentCats=10115*10170[/link]
Old 12-10-03, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
damn, its hard to do quotes and links when I can't get the icons/graphics to display.

Anyway, its the IKEA Dromme media cabinet.
Old 12-10-03, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by EPKJ
I don't like closed cabinets. I want to see my treasures.
Damn straight. I would put them all facing me if i had the space.
Old 12-10-03, 05:21 PM
Banned

I hate the closed Cabinets...I like to proudly display all my DVD's...
Old 12-10-03, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
Have you considered the Can-am media storage cabinets? I have six of their 3 drawer cabinets and it completely stores my DVD and CD collection with massive room left for the collection to grow. They're incredibly well made, but a bit expensive.

Can-Am
I recently bought a couple pretty similar cabinets on ebay, as mentioned in this thread. Saved a lot of money, and am pretty happy, except for the fact my CDs barely fit in the 2 cabinets, and now I need a place to store my DVDs -- thus my interest in this thread.

How are your cabinets stacked? 2+2+2? 3+3?

Also, the drawers on mine a just slightly too short to hold snapper cases and some of my box sets, so I don't think I'll be getting another for DVD storage.
Old 12-10-03, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by wmunn
I have movies stacked all over the place. I hate the "blockbuster" look in the living room.
Same here.
Old 12-10-03, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I store mine out in the open on one of these, layed out slightly different though.

http://unicahome.com/catalog/item.asp?id=4559

I wanted some mondern, and unique looking. This thing always gets loads compliments and stuff to boot.
Old 12-10-03, 07:54 PM
Cool New Member

I use a couple of bookcases I had custom built at a woodworking shop in San Francisco. 7 ft high x 3 ft wide, with 9 shelves. I put two of them in a corner, and they hold all of my dvds. Unfortunately, I'm going to run out of space soon, so I'll have to get another one.
Old 12-10-03, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by stevevt
How are your cabinets stacked? 2+2+2? 3+3?
I have mine stacked in three sets of two, though one could stack them in two sets of three, which look nice in the Can-Am photos but would require a ladder for people shorter than 6' to comfortably use the top drawer of each stack.

Combined storage potential of the six cabinets is 4860 CDs, or 2160 DVDs, or any combination thereof.

I checked out the cabinets you bought. That's a good deal. The dimensions are the same as the Can-am's so I'm surprised that the snappers don't fit though. So what'd you have to pay for shipping?

Last edited by Yakuza Bengoshi; 12-10-03 at 08:52 PM.
Old 12-10-03, 10:17 PM

great. now i feel like i shouldn't have gotten it!!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.