Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Doctor Detroit & Man With 2 Brains are in HD this month- dvds soon?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-03, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doctor Detroit & Man With 2 Brains are both on DirecTv's HDMovie station this month. I know Man is out, but it's full-screen only. Now that they have widescreen HD masters of them both, could a dvd release be coming? Uptown Saturday Night was on 2 months ago & is being released in a month, so I'm hoping they will be too. They also showed Greystoke, After Hours, Year Of The Dragon & Eddie Murphy Raw. I heard a while ago that Greystoke & After Hours were coming. I wish I could tape the HD movies, but neither my decoder nor HDTV has a firewire connection & I was told at Best Buy that's the only way to record HD signals. So hopefully they'll release them soon & I can take 2 more 80's movies off my list. Still waiting for DC Cab though.
Old 12-09-03, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think we can assume by now that HD broadcasts are absolutely not indications of an upcoming DVD release.

I'd check the hardware forum about that connection issue. Best Buy employees lie to get you to buy stuff.
Old 12-10-03, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What do you mean assume by now? The HD movie network just started a few months ago on DirecTv & only 2 months ago on Comcast. Since they just started I don't think anyone can say they aren't related. Why would a studio make a new HD version of a movie like Doctor Detroit just for cable and not try to make some money by releasing it? There have already been a few movies that were on that are being released soon. Also, it's been working the other way too. There have been many, many movies that show up on the HD station the month after they come out on dvd(Main Event, Hot Pursuit, Once Bitten, and many others.). This is because most newer dvds are mastered from high-definition so they do have them available right away in HD too. Since the 2 are fairly closely related, I think it does stand to reason that we might see most of these movies on dvd soon. Also, I'm not talking about broadcast stations- especially since only about 1/3 of their movies are actually in HD & they only show movies that have been out for a while & are mostly all on dvd(I get ABC,CBS, NBC, FOX, PBS, UPN & WB in HD from my antenna and ESPN, Discovery, HBO, Showtime, HDnet, HDmovies, plus 3 stations for NFL games in HD & a HD pay-per-view). The HD-only movie stations show completely different material & only show movies from a few studios that are participating and are definitely giving them movies right after dvd release & some before.
Old 12-10-03, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
El, HD stations have been broadcasting for longer than "a few months" by now.

Every time a film that is not on DVD is shown on a HD station, someone comes on here and asks why there isn't a DVD of it. There could be a few threads on Greystoke: The Legend Of Tarzan alone.

In fact - gosh - I'm reminded of this thread, which you started "a few months ago". And this other thread, where you're asking the same questions.
Old 12-11-03, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What HD stations do you mean? The HD-only movie stations just started. I realize HBO & Showtime & networks, etc. have been in HD for a while- I've had them for over 3 years now, but DirecTv & digital cable just added the HD packages that you pay extra for & have the HD movie station(I have DirecTv & my friend has Comcast digital). There was a chat with a studio rep on DigitalBits a few months ago & they said Greystoke is coming in 2004. This station also showed The Last Tycoon the month before it came out on dvd. Seriously, why would they remaster a movie for an HD station that hardly anyone has. I doubt the station pays as much for the movie than it costs to remaster. And sorry if I had a similar post 4 months ago, but do you know how many posts there had been asking about Eddie Murphy Raw coming out? I was just letting people know it was on in HD. And the other post I didn't start & was just asking him if his station was showing the same movies since Full Metal Jacket was on DirecTv also. Sorry if my questions annoy you, but you don't have to waste your time looking at them if you don't like them- much less look up other posts.
Old 12-16-03, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

form dvdfile-
"Debuting on March 30th are four classic comedies featuring the talents of such late, great comedians as Art Carney, George Burns and Walter Matthau. Included in this collection are: Going in Style, The Prisoner of Second Avenue, The Sunshine Boys and The Late Show."

The Late Show is on HDMovies this month. Prisoner
Of 2nd Avenue was on last month. And one or both of the others was also on last month (I get Going In Style & Sunshine boys confused since the cast & plot are similar). So I'd say that does show a connection between the two. This station has only shown about 3 movies made after 1990. It's almost all 70's, 80's, and some 60's movies. So these are catalog titles that they've just remastered & not something that they had sitting around. Also when DirecTv sent me a letter about the new HD package, it said the movie station was in cooperation (don't know if that's quite the right word) with a few certain studios that were supplying them with the HD movies- WB, Sony, Paramount & maybe 1 or 2 more. So almost all of the movies are ones that have never been seen anywhere else in HD. And most also seem to be just released on dvd or announced a few months after they're on. Given some of the great & obscure movies they've been showing, this should be good news to everyone.
Old 12-16-03, 04:57 PM

Most of the early Warner DVDs were WS in Europe, while their counterparts were FS in the U.S.... If I were you I'd get the R2 version.
Old 01-02-04, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another announcement & even more movies that were just on HDMovies including 2 that I mentioned in my first post. Digital Bits has a list of R2 Warner announcements that are expected to be announced for R1 soon which include Greystoke & After Hours! Cleopatra Jones was also on (so was the sequel). They don't show a large number of movies (because they probably don't have that many to choose from right now), but a very large number of them have been released on dvd a few months later now.