Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Who's Been Good or Bad in DVDland This Year?

Community
Search

Who's Been Good or Bad in DVDland This Year?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-03, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts
GOOD albeit-FINALLY!: to New Line,Image & Warner as it appears that SNAPPERS ARE GONE FOR GOOD!!
Old 12-11-03, 05:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Matthew Chmiel
Columbia/Tri-Star: Nice going at releasing more MAR titles. Thanks alot for announcing a pan and scan version of a Matilda: SE after most of us have been waiting years for a re-release with an anamorphic widescreen transfer of it's 2.35:1 aspect ratio.
They're off to a "good" start for next year, with the Annie "SE" and Just One of the Guys.
Old 12-11-03, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good:
Paramount: cheap dvds that kick ass. Check out their release of "Once Upon a Time In the West". Not only is it a great transfer with great extras, it also is DIRT CHEAP for a two disc set.

New Line: continuing to set the standard for major studio releases. Everything they do is quality.

Plexifilm: they released one of the best and most unheralded discs of the year: Style Wars: great extras, an obscure but vitally important film and really nice disc design. Even their cases are great. Oh, and Tale of Two Johns is worth buying as well. They've found a unique niche.

Warner Brothers: the 2 discs range from OK (Right Stuff) to great (Treasure of the Sierra Madre), but I appreciate them for taking the time to do it. Points off for the horrible disc change point in Once Upon a Time In America.

Bad:
Miramax: they've gotten a lot better than the dark days of their initial releases, but they still have a way to go. They don't seem to care too much about quality or extras, their whole attitude towards DVD seems pretty oblivious.

Universal: ET was a total misfire (did that come out this year or last?), the High School Reunion is extremely chintzy (great restored soundtrack, though), Animal House deserved better than it got. Mainly, they must die for their unskipable commercials.

Disney: great discs, but their policy of constantly taking stuff off the market is extremely annoying. Why do such a great job on the Sleeping Beauty disc and then only release it for a few months?
Old 12-11-03, 09:50 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD Talk Forum
GOOD: An essential daily read, with lots of great suggestions, money- saving deals (and a few outright steals!) and amiable and humorous discourse. Thanks, Geoff.

BAD: For deleting my bank account
Old 12-14-03, 11:30 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
What's Cut, Doc?

Bad: Warner for the way they've edited the cartoons on the second disc of their re-issue of Space Jam. "Invasion of the Bunny Snatchers" lost almost three minutes by cutting out all scenes with Yosemite Sam. And "Bugs vs. Daffy: Battle of the Music Video Stars", has had music added to the new animation, practically obscuring all dialogue, and new sound effects layered on, too. There's nothing wrong with the video on the new animation, though; it looked that bad in the original broadcast. Details can be found in this posting on Toon Zone.net by Brian Cruz.

http://forums.toonzone.net/showthrea...threadid=93709
Old 01-08-04, 01:42 AM

I change my vote to Alpha Video. I love those 4-disc collections they have. http://www.oldies.com/format/listing.cfm/format/22.html

Brilliant.
Old 01-08-04, 07:32 AM

Paramount gets my vote for stinker of the year! I despised the packaging of the "I Love Lucy" and "Indiana Jones" boxed sets.

"I Love Lucy" was too bulky and overpriced.

"Raiders of the Lost Ark" is an undisputable all-time classic that should have been available on its own with commentary and special features. The other two movies are lame and I don't want to buy them, and I don't want to have to take up valuable shelf space for a separate special features disk that could have been included on the movie disks. I don't care if Spielberg does the commentary or not, it should have been graced with an informative, interesting commentary by someone: film critic, Harris Ford, someone.
Old 01-08-04, 07:34 AM

I should add that although Universal produces some good DVDs, they should get a lump of coal in their stockings for discontinuing the Universal Classic Monsters DVDs.