Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

What version of Red Dragon is this? (An eBay auction)

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-03, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never seen that one before...do any of you know what it is?

Old 12-05-03, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 8-Mile cover art is different too.
Old 12-05-03, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Are both of those discs Canadian DVDs, or what?
Old 12-05-03, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Here's your answer:

Don't buy DVDs on Ebay.
Old 12-05-03, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

lol, so are both of these bootlegs?

My cousin is the one who bought them, he showed me the picture, and I am just currious as to what he got seeing how I've never seen them before myself.
Old 12-05-03, 03:24 PM

They look like bootlegs to me
Old 12-05-03, 03:28 PM

The Red Dragon looks like a bootleg. It is common practice for bootlegs made in Malaysia to have the DTS logo at the top, even though the DVD does not have DTS sound.
Old 12-05-03, 04:45 PM

Oh! That's the special "Bootleg" cut.

Boots. Gotta be boots.

I agree with caiman. Don't buy DVD's on Ebay.
Old 12-05-03, 04:49 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Boots for sure.
Old 12-05-03, 04:54 PM

Originally posted by caiman
Here's your answer:

Don't buy DVDs on Ebay.
I think it's safe to buy unopened box sets and stuff that can't easily by duped without looking like crap, but I agree with you on regular DVDs.
Old 12-05-03, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Either bootlegs or the seller printed out different covers.
Old 12-05-03, 07:40 PM

I say bootlegs i have a set of star wars ep 4,5,6 and a set of the indy's looks just like that with the dts.
Old 12-05-03, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Would a negative feedback be allowed for something like this? Here is what his auction had in the description...

DVD 4 PACK SPECIAL!!!!!!

Up for bid are 4 region 1 DVD's, all the DVD's are in MINT condition and include the case and artwork as pictured below. Most of these DVD's are missing the inside chapter insert, but I personally have never even looked at one of these, so I don't believe this will be a big deal to most people.

So here are the DVD's

RED DRAGON ( Widescreen ) - The first movie in the terrifying chapter in the Hannibal Lecter trilogy.

I liked this one, some great acting. A must for anyone who has seen Silence of the lambs or Hannibal.

8 MILE ( Widescreen ) - The people of Detroit know 8 mile as the city limit, a border, a boundary. It is also a psychological dividing line that separates Jimmy Smith Jr. (Eminem) from where and who he wants to be. 8 mile is a provocative fictional examination of a critical week in Jimmy's life, starring multi-platinum recording artist Eminem in his first leading role in a feature film, along with Kim Basinger (L.A. Confidential) as Jimmy's mother, Mekhi Phifer (O' shaft), Brittany Murphy (Don't say a word) and Eugene Byrd (Dead Man).

Again, I liked this one more than I thought I would. It has a definite Rocky feel to me. Eminem struggles through lifes problems that most of us can relate to, and in the end emerges victorious.

Psycho ( Widescreen collector's edition ) - The Alfred Hitchcock classic.

South Pacific ( Widescreen ) - Rodgers & Hammerstein's classic.
...Psycho and South Pacific are the "real deal" and they both have the insterts...the two bootleg DVDs, obviously, do not.

Should my cousin just chalk this one up to experiance or should he take action against the guy?

I wish he'd learn to listen to me more, he just can't pass up a "great deal", heh.
Old 12-05-03, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd say file a formal complaint with eBay. They'll bust him on that if he's sold other stuff like that. A neg would probably just result in nothing more than one for your cousin in return. A negative feedback on eBay doesn't technically do anything, except make you look bad (in some cases) to other bidders and sellers. Taking action with filing formal complaints with eBay is the only way to see that this guy is suspended.
Old 12-06-03, 12:59 PM
duz
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, two of the discs are genuine so leave a neutral comment saying two of the discs that were purchased were bootlegs.
Old 12-06-03, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by Al Padrino
I'd say file a formal complaint with eBay. They'll bust him on that if he's sold other stuff like that. A neg would probably just result in nothing more than one for your cousin in return. A negative feedback on eBay doesn't technically do anything, except make you look bad (in some cases) to other bidders and sellers. Taking action with filing formal complaints with eBay is the only way to see that this guy is suspended.
Wait a tick,

Just because someone has a different cover doesn't mean he/she is selling a bootleg disc.

Let the buyer beware - absolutely - but posting negative feedback or formal complaints without the facts is pretty bad form.

OP,

Why don't you just contact the seller and ask him to send a scan of the disc itself or even better to add it to his listing.

That cover is easily available at dvdcoverart ...

http://www.dvdcoverart.com/dvdcovera...em.php?id=3449

and may just be a cover the seller thought was cool. Or he may have bought it that way from someone else.

Over.

Last edited by ctyankee; 12-06-03 at 05:23 PM.
Old 12-06-03, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My cousin has already got them in the mail, so he does have the discs to look at.
Old 12-06-03, 06:54 PM

Originally posted by duz
Yeah, two of the discs are genuine so leave a neutral comment saying two of the discs that were purchased were bootlegs.
wait, what? i don't care if i buy 100 dvd's from someone and 99 are real. he is still getting a negative comment.
Old 12-06-03, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by caiman
Here's your answer:

Don't buy DVDs on Ebay.
Do you think it's ok to buy DVDs from Half.com?
Old 12-06-03, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My cousin just emailed me telling me that the Psycho DVD in the lot, real version, is 100% in every way unplayable in every way, with scratches and sticky stuff all over it. It wont even load in the DVD player.

The guy over this auction goes by the name of rs-computers on eBay, and he has NO negative feedback yet, and he's apparently sold these very same DVDs over and over before, and had just about 40 or so of the same thing that ended at the same time my cousin's auction ended.

As of now, he has NO auctions going.
Old 12-06-03, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by cupon
Do you think it's ok to buy DVDs from Half.com?
I buy DVD's on eBay and on Half.com and, so far, have not had any trouble. At the same time, I ALWAYS research their feedback, previous auctions, and other current auctions. I also very carefully read through the descriptions to know exactly what I am getting into (you generally can get a pretty good feel for the quality of the discs from the details in the descriptions . . . keep away from brief descriptions that don't say a much). Finally, I ask questions of sellers a lot if I'm not sure about something (background/history of the disc, condition of the case and disc, etc.).

So far, so good . . .

In this case, I think that the other current auctions and/or previous auctions would have kept me from bidding. I would suggest that your cousin email him and try to get it worked out . . . eBay won't let him do anything until he's tried to resolve it on his own anyway.

Sorry to hear that it didn't work out for him . . . that sucks.
Old 12-06-03, 11:35 PM

If you check the seller's feedback with just a minutes worth of "real thinking" your chances of getting ripped off on Ebay are very small.
I have sold over 15,000 dvds on Ebay and never even touched a bootleg. Lots of sellers like me on Ebay as well with lots of great dvd prices. The MPAA and others watch Ebay like a hawk (just started in the last year). Very little risk if you do some research, check on the cover art and features, NEVER buy dvds from sellers outside the USA, and check the feedback. Easy rules.