Skipping on My Alien Quadrilogy...

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-03, 12:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, I wasn't physically skipping ON it but there are skips in the movies/discs.

I first put in the 2nd disc for Alien 3 to begin to watch the documentary and it skipped once or twice.

But when I put in Alien to watch the commentary on the director's cut it began to skip and different parts. But not normal skips it was like a layer change. So I thought maybe it was when a new scene was added and didn't really pay much attention.

But when I put in Aliens, I know that has a $hit load of new scenes for the SE but on that one it only happened like twice

Haven't watched Alien 3 or Alien Resurrection but I don't know, has this happened to anyone else?
Old 12-04-03, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was having problems with skipping on disc 2 of Aliens. I usually never have these problems, so I was pretty pissed. I finally took the disc out and noticed that there were splotches of glue (from the packaging?) on the disc. I managed to rub it off and it played perfectly then.
Old 12-05-03, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll have to check my discs more closely. I was watching Alien last night and the disc froze 3 times over a 5 minute period, but has played fine the rest of the way.
Old 12-05-03, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Had a chance to watch "Alien 3"(SE) last night and was annoyed by seeing some skipping during the movie. Happened about 4/5 times. I'm wondering whether I should take it back to the store and exchange for another set, but i wanna see how the other movies/doc's play before i do that.
Old 12-05-03, 02:33 PM
Cool New Member

Considering the other complaints on this set concerning the packaging, and the comment about how there was glue on the bottom of one of the discs (has anyone else ever seen that before?) it sounds like you guys should all check to make sure that's not the case with your discs before you go through the trouble of returning them or exchanging them. It may just be shoddy packaging.
Old 12-05-03, 03:05 PM

I noticed annoying skipping all through the new Alien Director's Cut.

It's esspecially annoying when Yaphet Koto and Harry Dean Stanton are skipping merrily around the mess hall as the chestburster was popping out. It ruined the effect of the scene.

Also, why did they have to change it so that Ripley is now skipping happily and singing to herself as she heads from the unnecessarily complex self destruct mechanism to the escape pod.

Thank goodness the scene with the Alien skipping around with H.R. Gieger were only included as a deleted scene.
Old 12-05-03, 05:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just popped in the Alien disc and noticed some odd things. First of all, I can't turn off the subtitles, and there's skipping during the first breakfast scene.
Old 12-05-03, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the warning guys. I will check mine set this weekend. It wasn't my planned viewing, but I hate letting potential problems sit.
Old 12-05-03, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hope this isn't a widespread problem....still waiting to receive my boxset here in the UK...hoping to watch over the festive period so really hope i don't have the inconvenience of disc faults etc to contend with!!
Old 12-05-03, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think I'm skipping on my planned purchase of this thing. Between this and the dreadful packaging, it's simply not worth the headaches.
Old 12-05-03, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

skipping this set would be a mistake. sure the packaging is dreadful and some people have had some problems, but any alien fan has to own this set it is that damn good. i have viewed the first 4 discs those being alien/aliens and have had no problems yet. i am very impressed with the set so far.
Old 12-05-03, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No problems here
Old 12-06-03, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I noticed some small skips too. similar to a little layer change on my alien disc. I tried it on another player, and didnt notice them. Could it be the seamless branching used? Not going to return it though. I need to buy a new dvd player anyway.
Old 12-06-03, 12:56 PM
duz
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love the package, sure its a pain to get the discs out but thats why I have a folder. That and the SE makes Alien 3 watchable now.
Old 12-07-03, 10:47 AM
Cool New Member

For anyone having problems, could you please mention which player brand and model you are using. We may be able to see a trend. Thanks.
Old 12-07-03, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: Chicago, only a stone's throw from Chicago (even if you throw like a girl)
I havent popped mine in yet, but I wonder if the skipping is related to the "unseamless" branching.
Old 12-07-03, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Uh-oh. I just watched ALIEN last night on my Cyberhome 402 and noticed about 5-6 of these layer-change-like skips. Naturally, I blamed the Cyberhome, which is not my primary player (I had just finished watching my R2 THEY LIVE and was too lazy to switch the cables back to my Toshiba 3109).

Oddly, the skips did not occur in scenes with seemless branching (or at least did not ONLY occur in those scene), as I had the "Director's Cut Marker" option on while watching the flick. Then again, perhaps the skips occurred when certain small scenes were deleted from the Director's Cut??

Anyway, I hope this is a player specific problem. Guess I'll watch it again for the commentary on my Toshiba to make sure.
Old 12-07-03, 04:59 PM
Banned

I've gone over every inch of this set and had no problems at all on either of my Panasonic 5-Disc changers which are 1 and 2 years old...
Old 12-07-03, 05:06 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by CrumpsBrother
Uh-oh. I just watched ALIEN last night on my Cyberhome 402 and noticed about 5-6 of these layer-change-like skips. Naturally, I blamed the Cyberhome, which is not my primary player (I had just finished watching my R2 THEY LIVE and was too lazy to switch the cables back to my Toshiba 3109).

Oddly, the skips did not occur in scenes with seemless branching (or at least did not ONLY occur in those scene), as I had the "Director's Cut Marker" option on while watching the flick. Then again, perhaps the skips occurred when certain small scenes were deleted from the Director's Cut??

Anyway, I hope this is a player specific problem. Guess I'll watch it again for the commentary on my Toshiba to make sure.
I had the same problem with Alien last night. There was the layer change as Brett calls Jonesy, then there was another pause when planning Dallas's air vent idea, then another few when Ripley comes out in the spacesuit in the Narcissus shuttle. It was pretty disruptive, and occured with both the DTS and commentary tracks. My player is a Toshiba SD-3750 and I have never had problems with branching. T2 and Abyss both play fine for me. I gather it must also be a player-related issue, because it played fine on my DVD-ROM drive.
Old 12-07-03, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I also have noticed a problem of the Alien DC.

in chap 24...at about 1:09:48...during the conversation following Brett's death. Rip says she will go in the vent. it's during the response from Dallas where the defect occurs. just as he starts to scratch his right shoulder area....his next few words are dropped as the picture gives a brief stutter and freeze. it then moves on with no probem. if it's the layer change...it's very different from other changes. in fact...it did it only maybe 2 out of 3 times. a layer change would always do the same thing...I think.

I also tried it on a total of 4 players and it did it off and on. all laser's were cleaned prior. I think a replacement disc would be in order. I really dont want to have to exchange the whole box.

players tested:

Malata 520
Panny S35
Cyberhome 300
Denon 1200
Old 12-07-03, 11:47 PM

in chap 24...at about 1:09:48...during the conversation following Brett's death. Rip says she will go in the vent. it's during the response from Dallas where the defect occurs. just as he starts to scratch his right shoulder area....his next few words are dropped as the picture gives a brief stutter and freeze. it then moves on with no probem. if it's the layer change...it's very different from other changes. in fact...it did it only maybe 2 out of 3 times. a layer change would always do the same thing...I think.
Just tested for this and found no problem. Using a MALATA 520, as well.
Old 12-08-03, 12:43 AM

Originally posted by celluloidwisdom
Just tested for this and found no problem. Using a MALATA 520, as well.
thanks for checking, CW.
Old 12-08-03, 07:41 AM

Originally posted by sicklerice
I noticed annoying skipping all through the new Alien Director's Cut.

It's esspecially annoying when Yaphet Koto and Harry Dean Stanton are skipping merrily around the mess hall as the chestburster was popping out. It ruined the effect of the scene.

Also, why did they have to change it so that Ripley is now skipping happily and singing to herself as she heads from the unnecessarily complex self destruct mechanism to the escape pod.

Thank goodness the scene with the Alien skipping around with H.R. Gieger were only included as a deleted scene.
Damn that Ridley $cott! All he cares about is $$$!!!
Old 12-08-03, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"Alien" doesn't even come on for me
Old 12-08-03, 12:49 PM
Cool New Member

Have all you guys who have had problems checked the discs to make sure they are clean? I've had DVDs pixelate or freeze up on me before and come to find out it was just a thumbprint that was easily wiped clean. Also, does anyone know if some players have problems with branching spots? Would older or cheaper players take a second to process the branch and give a branch a "layer break" effect? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.