Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Have your DVD buying preferences changed recently?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-03, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

By this I mean from movies to TV shows or anything else. Basically I have like five shows I watch (it used to be 12). Like the rest of you, I have a long day, and I like to relax, and TV is usually the way, but TV sucks so much right now, I finally just decided to get a few box sets of shows I follow but missed (like S1 of West Wing and Alias). I enjoyed them so much that now I think I'm going to move away from movies and get DVDs of TV shows now and past and watch them instead of the endless reality and comedy crap on TV today. Has anyone else moved towards this because TV sucked so much it made you angry enough to shun it?
Old 12-02-03, 12:29 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah I was actually thinking about starting a thread on this! I still buy a lot of movies, but I find I have become flat out addicted to TV on DVD.
Old 12-02-03, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have definitely stopped buying as many movies blindly than I used to. Granted, my collection is getting a little large now so that plays a factor. I really have gotten addicted to TV on DVD, I have started watching shows I never would have watched on TV. Perfect example is Buffy and Angel. I mocked people I knew that watched it while it was on TV. Now I am an addict. I bought Buffy on a fluke since it was cheap for S1 and I was craving a HS based show since I had just finished my My So-Called Life set, buffy seemed to mix that with cheesy horror so I said WTF I will give it a shot. There are other shows I plan on buying blindly like Alias and possibly West Wing (I have never seen any eps of these shows).

I also got addicted to Britcoms and British dramas. I love shows like The Office, Spaced, and revisiting old favorites like The Tomorrow People (use to air on Nickelodeon many years ago).

I don't watch much regular TV nowadays, though I have been watching more than I have in the last few years. I find myself saying that I will just wait for it on DVD instead of worrying about catching it at the times it airs. Carnivale on HBO a perfect example.
Old 12-02-03, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've scaled back on buying DVDs a lot lately. My last real big day was back in October and even then, only three discs were for me, and only one was a movie.

My last few purchases have either been wrestling or TV shows. I don't know what it is, but lately, I've just been in the mood to watch TV shows. I've got finals coming up, as well as the holidays, so I just don't feel like I've got enough time to invest in a movie right now, but less than 30 minutes is perfect and that's why I'm watching so many TV shows on DVD lately.
Old 12-02-03, 01:36 PM

I have nearly stopped buying move DVD's completely, aside from the odd one or two. Its Music and TV DVDs all the way for me.

This week, for instance, I bought - Pearl Jam - Live, No Doubt - Live and Foo Fighters DVDs and thats it. This time last year, that would have been unthinkable
Old 12-02-03, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

With more and more classic movies being released (thank you WB), I find myself buying more movies these days. The DDD coupons are really not helping matters either. I'm surpirsed that I haven't got a call from the credit card company to verify that my card hasn't been stolen.
Old 12-02-03, 02:06 PM
Banned

Nope. I'm not gonna buy a TV show on DVD just because its on DVD.
Old 12-02-03, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I seem to be buying a lot more TV shows on DVD these days. I've also been loading up on catalog titles that have gone down in price recently. What I haven't been collecting too much lately are newer films, cuz frankly most of what Hollywood's been churning out has sucked.