Community
Search

Pitch Black ReRelease next year?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-03, 09:55 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pitch Black ReRelease next year?

With the chronicles of Riddick coming to movie theaters next year I was wondering if they where re-releasing pitch black on dvd. Was thinking about buying the current version out their, but only if they aren't doing another one in the next couple of months. Thanks for any help.
Old 12-01-03, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pitch Black could really use a re-release to include the excellent making-of documentary (really a mini-movie) called Into Pitch Black.

Universal is really big into cross-promotion--that is, releasing or re-releasing DVDs to help promote other higher-profile projects. That's why, for example, a compilation of the TV series The Incredible Hulk came out at the same time as the DVD of the recent movie and why the Battlestar Galactica boxed set came out in advance of the new Sci Fi Channel miniseries.

That being the case, a re-release of Pitch Black would seem better than likely.
Old 12-01-03, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I don't know it I'd call it likely. Pitch Black was not a big movie, so a re-release wouldn't likely be that cost effective. But one never knows...
Old 12-01-03, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If they do they will probably wait to see how far Riddick will go... if they do the other films or not. Then maybe they will redo it. I think its fine the way it is now but I could always use more.

Now if I could just get the IRON GIANT SE now instead of later...
Old 12-01-03, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jericho
I don't know it I'd call it likely. Pitch Black was not a big movie, so a re-release wouldn't likely be that cost effective. But one never knows...
Pitch Black made only $39.2 million at the U.S. box office, but it cost only $23 million to produce. By that standard, it was a bigger movie for Universal (via the now-defunct USA Films) than Hulk, which didn't even break even here.

In DVD rentals alone, Pitch Black made more than $32 million. DVD sales were ostensibly higher.

Based on this, along with Vin Diesel's popularity and the possible cross-promotion (which is the core of Universal's business model), I stand by my conjecture that it is more than likely that Pitch Black would be re-released at some point, especially if a tie-in movie is in the works.

Last edited by rasalas; 12-02-03 at 10:59 AM.
Old 12-01-03, 11:39 PM
Banned

boy oh boy oh boy would i luv this this is 1 of my fave movies EVER so i would gobble up another release!
Old 12-02-03, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What woulkd they add, the current release has 2 commentaries and some nice Making ofs.
Old 12-02-03, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by harosa
What woulkd they add, the current release has 2 commentaries and some nice Making ofs.
Calling them "nice making ofs" is being generous. One is a 5-minute fluff piece, the other is that incredibly awful 20-minute "Raveworld Pitch Black Event." I'd be interested in reading what you liked about them.

As noted in my original post, the DVD did not include the hourlong documentary Into Pitch Black. A fresh take on a traditional making-of--much like The Curse of the Blair Witch, which also aired on the Sci Fi Channel, did for The Blair Witch Project--it extended the movie with new footage as it also primed interest in the then-upcoming movie. David Twohy, who directed Pitch Black, was a creative consultant for Into Pitch Black.
Old 12-02-03, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As rasalas says, Universal is huge into the cross promotion, so at the very least you'll see a repackaging. But, yes, I expect they'll re-release it with a few extra goodies.
Old 12-02-03, 11:50 AM
Banned

maybe a director's cut of the Pitch Black Rave Party?

Old 12-02-03, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would like to see the stuff they had on the internet, the comic, and I seem to recall something about a female bounty hunter going to the planet and thinking that maybe Riddick ate the other survivers.
Old 12-02-03, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Pitch Black: None More Black Edition (featuring all-new forced trailers!)
Old 12-02-03, 02:45 PM

rerelease dvd? And Miss that great RAVE footage!? You just wont know what your missing.

Probably the dumbest extra ever included on a DVD

Last edited by rushmore223; 12-02-03 at 02:47 PM.
Old 12-02-03, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally posted by rasalas
Pitch Black made only $39.2 million at the U.S. box office, but it cost only $23 million to produce. By that standard, it was a bigger movie for Universal (via the now-defunct USA Films) than Hulk, which didn't even break even here.

In DVD rentals alone, Pitch Black made more than $32 million. DVD sales were ostensibly higher.

Based on this, along with Vin Diesel's popularity and the possible cross-promotion (which is the core of Universal's business model), I stand by my conjecture that it is more than likely that Pitch Black would be re-released at some point, especially if a tie-in movie is in the works.
Yeah, but I'm sure the Hulk will make much more than Pitch Black in pure revenues. The costs in Pitch Black are sunk costs, and I don't know if Universal sees any real profit in a re-release. Of course they could slap on a little making of for the Adventures of Riddick to the current disc and call it an "Ultimate Edition". That's more to Universal's tune.
Old 12-02-03, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heck, with Enough and The Net rereleased, I never count anything out!

I'll keep my ears open.
Old 02-26-04, 08:20 PM
Banned

Davisdvd posted that Universal announced that they are re-releasing Pitch Black with a new title- The Chronicles of Riddick: Pitch Black and will be featured in both R and Unrated releases.
Old 02-27-04, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And an ANIMATED prequel! I am there for that one... bring it on!
Old 02-27-04, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Unless it has the documentary that was on Sci-Fi Channel along with extras that are worth a damn, im not buying it.
Old 02-27-04, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I can confirm that they are rereleasing Pitch Black on DVD this summer, and from the info I got, it was going to be a new release with new bonus materials. Universal is also doing a lot of cross-promotional stuff with Chronicles of Riddick, as people above had posted. They doing a 30 minute anime short that will tie the storylines of Pitch Black and Chronicles of Riddick together, and I think they are also planning a release of a video game soon, too.
Old 02-27-04, 05:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

From davisdvd.com

To promote of the upcoming theatrical sequel The Chronicles of Riddick, Universal Home Video will re-release the excellent Pitch Black on June 1st. Now retitled The Chronicles of Riddick: Pitch Black, the disc will be available in R-rated and Unrated Director's Cut editions, each in separate anamorphic widescreen and fullscreen releases (that's four separate discs, folks). Extras have yet to be fully announced, but expect the commentary tracks and making-of featurette from the first release plus a preview of the feature film. Retail is $26.98. Note that these discs will come with Dolby Digital 5.1 tracks, so if you want DTS you'll have to pick up the soon-to-be discontinued initial release available. Due on June 15th will be the animated prequel The Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Fury. This disc will come with a 1.78 anamorphic transfer, Dolby Digital 5.1 audio and an inside look at the feature film. Retail is $14.98.
Old 02-27-04, 05:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
At this point though I think it's probably worth waiting for the inevitable boxset that'll come after the CoR is released on DVD.
Old 02-27-04, 08:11 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Bill Geiger

Note that these discs will come with Dolby Digital 5.1 tracks, so if you want DTS you'll have to pick up the soon-to-be discontinued initial release available.
typical , Universal could at least encode the film in it's original 6.1 (Dolby Digital EX soundmix)
Old 02-27-04, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I'll stick with my DTS thank you.
Old 02-27-04, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I second that . . . will stick with my DTS.
Old 02-27-04, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by needlz
I second that . . . will stick with my DTS.
No DTS= No Sale.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.