Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Nemo: #1 DVD (sales) for 2003

Old 11-20-03, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow! Nemo is #1 in DVD sales for the year. I guess everyone found Nemo in the DVD department.

TTT has been on the chart for 5 weeks, but has already been surpassed by Nemo in just 2 weeks.

http://www.dvdfile.com/news/sales_st...can/index.html

Pixar can tell disney how to write their new contract.
Old 11-20-03, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
With the exception of say Star Wars which has such a huge fan base. I think any family movie is going to beat out the competition. Let's face it, even DVD collectors without children have nieces, nephews, other family members and can even like them themselves. My uncle has no kids and collects every Disney film that comes out. The appeal is just to great and wide that even the best SE can't compete. I'll take care of any dilemma by getting both for my collection.
Old 11-20-03, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought it already set the record for best selling DVD of all time with 14million in the first two weeks it was out.
Old 11-20-03, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Without Pixar, Disney would be no better than Dreamworks in the Animation department. Their in house animated features have fallen to direct to video quailty in recent years.
Old 11-20-03, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by darkside
Without Pixar, Disney would be no better than Dreamworks in the Animation department. Their in house animated features have fallen to direct to video quailty in recent years.
Yeah, its quite sad when a company famous for animation has to resort to another company to make its best films.

Sadly, The Mouse House has been disintergrating for some time, hopefully they can stop the rot before its too late.
Old 11-20-03, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow. 3 replies before we get a Disney sucks/Pixar rules post. Im off to notify the world record people.

Last edited by RyoHazuki; 11-20-03 at 09:59 PM.
Old 11-21-03, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Threadcrap alert????

I should've screened this before watching it with my 3 year old son. He was extremely upset when mommy died, and freaked out when Nemo was taken away from his dad. He didn't stick around for the happy ending.

If memory serves, Bambi killed me as a kid.
Old 11-21-03, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Kromax

If memory serves, Bambi killed me as a kid.
That's because you were no match for a fawn with a .44

That's OK Godzilla avenged you in Godzilla vs Bambi.

Next time stick to Barney or The Wiggles.
Old 11-21-03, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by Lucian55
Disney sucks/Pixar rules

....cookie?
Old 11-21-03, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Disney began rotting as soon as Eisner got a total grip! Disney is nothing but crap at this point and Eisner has pissed on Walt’s grave. Best you could do to honor Walt is get the Disney treasures, get the DVDs of older stuff like Sleeping Beauty and Alice in Wonderland, and find a Song of the South DVD.
Old 11-21-03, 09:59 AM

Thats not surprising! Nemo was pixars best. Disney's evil pixar is so good now that they shouldnt have to be connected with disney. down with Eisner!!!. Once he becomes un frozen I think Walt will have a lot to say about the state of his company! (well rumor has it that hes frozen)
Old 11-21-03, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Libby
Thats not surprising! Nemo was pixars best. Disney's evil pixar is so good now that they shouldnt have to be connected with disney. down with Eisner!!!. Once he becomes un frozen I think Walt will have a lot to say about the state of his company! (well rumor has it that hes frozen)
How is Disney evil? Why is it thought of with less regard than any other studio? How is, whatever it is that they have done to piss off so many purists, any worse than what MGM or Universal has done? Can some one explain it to me without getting emotional?
Old 11-21-03, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by garolo
How is Disney evil? Why is it thought of with less regard than any other studio? How is, whatever it is that they have done to piss off so many purists, any worse than what MGM or Universal has done? Can some one explain it to me without getting emotional?
Cuz it's the popular/"cool" thing to do. Along the same lines as:

- Luca$ sucks/raped my childhood/greedy bastard/insert-your-own-home-made-inflammatory-comment-here

- Michael Bay is the biggest hack blah blah blah

You kinda learn it the longer you stay on forums such as these.
Old 11-21-03, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Kal Jedi
Cuz it's the popular/"cool" thing to do. Along the same lines as:

- Luca$ sucks/raped my childhood/greedy bastard/insert-your-own-home-made-inflammatory-comment-here

- Michael Bay is the biggest hack blah blah blah

You kinda learn it the longer you stay on forums such as these.
I've been lurking and actively posting here for over 2 years. I understand the purist's point of view regarding Lucas. I don't understand the vitriol towards and vehemence against Disney the company. I don't care one way or the other. I side more towards WB in my like of animation. Other than being cool to bash why the constant jabs? It can't just be because of Song of the South, can it? The PC changes in some of the movies? Other studios have done the same or worse. So, why the bashing? I'm just curious.
Old 11-21-03, 01:35 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Meanwhile OT popular family films almost always sell best. They have the widest audience appeal the the most replay value.
Old 11-21-03, 02:26 PM

Originally posted by darkside
True Dat.

It angers me that Disney is even allowed to plaster their name on Pixar's movies. When does that contract run out?
Old 11-21-03, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

RIGHTFULLY SO!
Old 11-21-03, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Why is it so hard to get sales or shipping unit data on DVDs? Makes you think they don't want to admit how much units they are selling/shipping.

The linked site just shows ranking and some index, no sales figures.

Sometimes, a first week's (or even the first day with Nem) figure or yearly figure is shown but that's about it. If I'm wrong, please let us know about sale figure info and where to get it.
Old 11-21-03, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Did you ever see the Far Side cartoon with the dog and his master where it talks about "what we say" vs. "what they hear"? I'm starting to feel that way about Disney and George Lucas bashers.

What they say:
Disney sucks! Disney is all that is wrong with the world. Disney is spiritually murdering our children. Disney has died inside since the days of original Mickey Mouse clips.
What I hear:
Disney blah! Disney blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. Disney blah blah blah blah blah. Disney blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah Mickey Mouse blah.
Old 11-21-03, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No surprise. I bought it, my friends my bought, I just know so many people that bought it. I never saw it in the theatres but this movie had great word of mouth. So bought it, watched it, and it wasn't too bad.
Old 11-21-03, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Give Disney credit, they were smart enough to sign Pixar to do 5 movies (6 if you include TS2).
Old 11-21-03, 09:20 PM

I should've screened this before watching it with my 3 year old son. He was extremely upset when mommy died, and freaked out when Nemo was taken away from his dad. He didn't stick around for the happy ending.
After undoubtedly 20+ viewings, my 3yo has never even mentioned the Mom. (he literally JUST walked up to me with Nemo in his hands...) She's there for no more than 5 minutes of the movie, and you never see her again. They never show anything happening to her, so I don't think he's ever put two and two together. Nemo getting taken from his dad has never bothered him either. It'd be an awfully short movie if you take that part out.

Of course, Jurrasic Park has been one of his favorite movies for a couple years, so Nemo's not going to bother him...
Old 11-21-03, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was amused that some folks were arguing that TTT would be the best selling DVD this year in another thread. The buying power of TTT fans is nothing compared to that of mom and dad. I think that's why The Land Before Time 72 just came out straight to video last week.
Old 11-22-03, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 695 Likes on 429 Posts
Originally posted by Libby
well rumor has it that hes frozen
[ELAYNE_BENES]GET OUT![/ELAYNE_BENES]
Old 11-22-03, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by talemyn
Did you ever see the Far Side cartoon with the dog and his master where it talks about "what we say" vs. "what they hear"? I'm starting to feel that way about Disney and George Lucas bashers.

What they say:What I hear:

I have that Ginger cartoon on my fridge! Thanks talemyn. It's really funny when one looks at it that way.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.