Community
Search

Rocky Box Set question

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-03, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rocky Box Set question

This might be too old for the search, cause I didn't find anything...

How can you tell if the Rocky box is the corrected set or not?

Thanks,

Res
Old 11-18-03, 12:49 PM

Most of the old sets had the uncorrected Rocky IV, there has been a re-release of this title unannounced to anyone, this IS anamorphic. Rocky 2 is still not anamorphic, yet it is in Japan...
Old 11-19-03, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Guess I'll keep putting it off until they get II fixed.
Old 11-19-03, 09:10 AM

Originally posted by reservoirdog
Guess I'll keep putting it off until they get II fixed.
2006 is the 30th anniversary of Rocky so I guess that would be the earliest you would be able to purchase a rerelease. At the moment there are know plans to rerelease it. Why wait for a rerelease of the Rocky box set. If your a fan of the Rocky films go out and get it now. Am a huge Rocky fan and the set is great. So what if Rocky 2 isn't anamorphic and Rocky 4 doesn't have subtitles on the original release. It's still a good box set. I would love to see special editions with behind the scenes and commentaries on all the films but thats probably not happening until Stallone and the studio deside the time is right. Bottom line Your still getting Rocky 1 special edition with all the extras and the four sequels. GO FOR IT!!!
Old 11-19-03, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just buy them indivually and forget the box set. Rocky V sucks anyway.
Old 11-19-03, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
anyway to just get the box? I bought the movies seperately.
Old 11-19-03, 11:41 PM

Originally posted by SERPICO7
2006 is the 30th anniversary of Rocky so I guess that would be the earliest you would be able to purchase a rerelease. At the moment there are know plans to rerelease it. Why wait for a rerelease of the Rocky box set. If your a fan of the Rocky films go out and get it now. Am a huge Rocky fan and the set is great. So what if Rocky 2 isn't anamorphic and Rocky 4 doesn't have subtitles on the original release. It's still a good box set. I would love to see special editions with behind the scenes and commentaries on all the films but thats probably not happening until Stallone and the studio deside the time is right. Bottom line Your still getting Rocky 1 special edition with all the extras and the four sequels. GO FOR IT!!!
SO what?? MGM needs to fix these issues! Rocky is the only one with the special edition, the other releases are bare bones! I am very disapointed with the effort MGM put into these, these films are some of the most successful they have ever had! I see these low budget horror movies get better treatment from MGM. This set could have been so much better, and had the mistakes corrected!
Old 11-19-03, 11:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by SERPICO7
Just so you know, the new release (the anamorphic one) of Rocky 4 DOES have the subtitles. I own this and owned the original (from the box set) and I can definitely confirm they fixed the subtitles.

Here are two threads that discuss this:

At DVDTalk

At HTF

I picked up the corrected disc at CC for $9.99 a few months ago and replaced the one that came with the box set...

Zack
Old 11-20-03, 08:17 AM

Originally posted by Rockybalboa
SO what?? MGM needs to fix these issues! Rocky is the only one with the special edition, the other releases are bare bones! I am very disapointed with the effort MGM put into these, these films are some of the most successful they have ever had! I see these low budget horror movies get better treatment from MGM. This set could have been so much better, and had the mistakes corrected!
I agree with you. I love the rocky films and I wish they would have atleast done special editions for Rocky 2 and Rocky 3 but what can you do about the lack of interest by the studio in making the box set better. The ultimate extra features for me would have been the making of with behind the scenes stuff for all the films with commentaries from all the actors. Am happy with the box set because its better then watching it on VHS but your right it's not a very well done box set by a long shot but its better then nothing. Am just happy because I know longer have to watch the films on VHS. What really surprises me is Sylvester Stallones lack of participation in the DVD. Sly could have done commentaries on all the films and that would have improved the box set. If Stallones career keeps going down hill he may soon have alot of time on his hands to do the commentaries.
Old 11-20-03, 09:10 AM

Originally posted by chanster
Just buy them indivually and forget the box set. Rocky V sucks anyway.
Rocky V doesn't even exist in my mind.

Brett