Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

LOTR:ROTK EE (might be the longest yet) (poss. spoilers)

Community
Search

LOTR:ROTK EE (might be the longest yet) (poss. spoilers)

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-03, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
LOTR:ROTK EE (might be the longest yet)

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=16462

We have a lot of great DVD material this time around. As we crafted the movie, we reduced it from an over 4 hour running time, down to 3.12 (without credits - about 8 mins long). This was done by us. There were no studio cutting notes

That's just a snippet from the entire "controversial" email over Christopher Lee and the 7mins removed from the ROTK Theatrical version of Siruman's death.

Anyway, just a guess, I think the ROTK EE is going to be longer than the other two EE movies. I'm thinking about an hour is going to be added to the EE version of ROTK (from reading this article and others), to a 4:15min version of the film.
Old 11-16-03, 10:43 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Of course it will be the longest, the theatrical cut is longer than the other two.
Old 11-16-03, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pretty interesting considering they never shot the
Spoiler:
Scouring of the Shire
- Return of the King is much shorter than the other two books.

Last edited by Ephemeral_Life; 11-16-03 at 02:57 PM.
Old 11-16-03, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Ephemeral_Life
Pretty interesting considering they are cutting out the Scouring of the Shire - Return of the King is much shorter than the other two books.
Yes, but ROTK still has a fair amount of material to cover from The Two Towers book.
Old 11-16-03, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't believe the scouring of the shire was ever intended to be in the film (at least from early stuff I read). I know that it was essential to get Saruman killed by Wormtongue, but to me it just seemed to drag alot in the book. I hope that the pacing of ROTK will be better than TT, but regardless it should be a great film and I can't wait to see it.
Old 11-16-03, 12:03 PM

Originally posted by reubs82
I don't believe the scouring of the shire was ever intended to be in the film (at least from early stuff I read). I know that it was essential to get Saruman killed by Wormtongue, but to me it just seemed to drag alot in the book. I hope that the pacing of ROTK will be better than TT, but regardless it should be a great film and I can't wait to see it.
That's correct, it was never filmed.
Old 11-16-03, 12:19 PM
Retired

Scoring of the shire was never filmed, and Saruman will not be in the theatrical cut of ROTK at all. They did film a scene where Wormtongue kills him, guess it will be on the EE only.
Old 11-16-03, 12:37 PM
duz
DVD Talk Special Edition

It was filmed (sort of) but not as the scouring. In one of the scenes in FOTR there is forshadowing of The Shire under attack. PJ said that is the closest to the scouring as the movie will get.
Old 11-16-03, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by duz
It was filmed (sort of) but not as the scouring. In one of the scenes in FOTR there is forshadowing of The Shire under attack. PJ said that is the closest to the scouring as the movie will get.
It was when Frodo was looking in the pool/fount in Lothlorien.

Excellent news on the length . . . the longer the better . . . bathroom breaks be damned!!!

BTW . . . careful with the spoilers, guys . . . might be some people who don't know the story . . .

Last edited by talemyn; 11-16-03 at 01:56 PM.
Old 11-16-03, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If I may gently suggest...

there might be one or two humans on the planet that actually don't know about the Chris Lee debacle (and may not want to know the spoiler).

So perhaps you should put some spoiler tags in your first post.
Old 11-16-03, 11:51 PM

Spoilers?? The books have been out forever. Talking about these movies shouldn't be in the same league as spoilers for other movies. If you haven't read or know what goes on in the books by now, then stay away from these theads completely until you've seen the movie.
Old 11-17-03, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by SBrooks1
Spoilers?? The books have been out forever. Talking about these movies shouldn't be in the same league as spoilers for other movies. If you haven't read or know what goes on in the books by now, then stay away from these theads completely until you've seen the movie.
The thread title indicates nothing about discussing the story/plot details of the film . . . just discussion about it's length. It's fairly reasonable to expect people who don't know the story might come in and read. If this thread were in "Movie Talk" I would agree that it might be more of an "enter at your own risk" kind of thing, but it's not.

Anyway, it was just a suggestion as a courtesy to other members. No reason to get upset.
Old 11-17-03, 12:08 AM

I'm not upset at all buddy. I just get annoyed by the whole "spoilers" thing.
Old 11-17-03, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by SBrooks1
I just get annoyed by the whole "spoilers" thing.
And I get upset about having movies spoiled without warning.

I'd like to respectfully ask a mod to add a spoiler warning to the thread title.
Old 11-17-03, 03:17 AM
Banned

Yeah because we know EVERYONE has read the books
Old 11-17-03, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So, is there NOTHING else about the palantir? That's just stupid if it is so. That will be my first dislike of PJ's rendition if true. I suppose Saruman could be cut out of that scene, it's more a Wormtongue scene anyway. Anybody know anything?
Old 11-17-03, 09:21 AM

Originally posted by Spiky
So, is there NOTHING else about the
Spoiler:
palantir?
That's just stupid if it is so. That will be my first dislike of PJ's rendition if true. I suppose Saruman could be cut out of that scene, it's more a Wormtongue scene anyway. Anybody know anything?
I am sure they'll establish that in some way - maybe narration. It's too important for him to drop the whole thing completely.
Old 11-17-03, 01:04 PM

Originally posted by Spiky
So, is there NOTHING else about the palantir? That's just stupid if it is so. That will be my first dislike of PJ's rendition if true. I suppose Saruman could be cut out of that scene, it's more a Wormtongue scene anyway. Anybody know anything?
Yes, Jackson said that 7 minute scene will feature Saruman and Wormtongue, but will be saved for the DVD.