Back To The Future Collection

Community
Search

Back To The Future Collection

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-03, 04:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Argeed (as the pictures above show), but right now you cant tell that wthout opening the shrink wrap.
Old 11-23-03, 11:52 AM

Try PLAYUSA, I purchased from there and recieved the fixed dvds about a month ago. I had already got the old box set a year ago and it was only until my friend asked me to order him a box set a month ago that I checked and found that the last two films in his box set had been fixed.

So immediately sold my crappy box set and ordered another one keeping my fingers crossed that I would recieve from the same batch as my friend. Luckily now it appears that the old ones have now been replaced as I recieved the fixed one myself.

Hopefully anyone wishing to purchase from them will recieve the fixed ones.

PLAYUSA imports from Canada. Only available from Canada I believe.

Good Hunting.

http://www.playusa.com/playusa.asp?p...1&title=104528

Last edited by Jonam; 11-23-03 at 12:00 PM.
Old 11-23-03, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks Jonam.
Can anyone else confirm this as well?
Also are they shipping bi-lingual covers?

Last edited by tacomantt; 11-23-03 at 04:44 PM.
Old 11-24-03, 12:49 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
It doesn't matter unless you can pay in British Pounds.

From the Play USA site:

Please note we are currently only able to take payment in GBP
Old 11-24-03, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I can't believe it's been a year now and they still haven't made the corrected sets available to the U.S. market. That's unbelievably lame, but considering that they knew about the discs being screwed up well before the original release date and went ahead and streeted the faulty ones anyway, what can we really expect? Universal has consistently gone out of its way to prove its complete contemptibilty toward the public. They seriously need to clean house over there.
Old 11-24-03, 10:09 AM
Banned

I refuse to buy this set until I find the corrected version in a store. I am not going to Reward Universal for this little scam of theirs.
Old 11-24-03, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well I just got the set from NorthAmericanDVD (Canadians) and go the UNCORRECTED set. Called Universal's hotline to get the pre-paid mailers.
Old 11-24-03, 05:31 PM

Originally posted by chanster
Well I just got the set from NorthAmericanDVD (Canadians) and go the UNCORRECTED set. Called Universal's hotline to get the pre-paid mailers.
Same story here.
Old 11-24-03, 06:11 PM

CH sent me v1 aswell. But i used my funcash so there free. I just called to get my mailer sent to my house.
Old 11-25-03, 05:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by jough
It doesn't matter unless you can pay in British Pounds.
Wrong.

Sure you can order from "Play USA". Your CC will do the exchange for you. It's completely transparent to what the currency exchange rate is. I do this all the time. Some CC charge a small exchange fee, others do not.

It's a small world with the internet - and plastic money goes all the way around.

The real problem is if they are indeed shipping green sticker covers and if the cover is bilingual.

-T
Old 11-25-03, 04:15 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
My CC will not do the exchange for me. I can only pay in USD with all three of my cards.
Old 11-25-03, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow.

Do you have Visa or Mastcard?

I use my Visa all the time. Right from Visa's website: Visa offers unsurpassed acceptance at millions of merchant locations worldwide.

I dont have one, but on Mastercard's website: With more than 32.8 million acceptance locations, no payment card is more widely accepted globally than MasterCard.

Is yours a secured card?
Old 11-25-03, 11:47 PM
Suspended

Visa Check Card.

It's all good. I"ll get this set eventually from a U.S. merchant, since I hate those bilingual covers.

All french, no problem. But the bilings tend to be cluttered and hideous.
Old 12-03-03, 12:35 PM

Unfortunately for those who don't like it PLAYUSA have only the bilingual covers.
Old 12-18-03, 07:49 PM

Where ?

Where do I find the corrected set?

Teri
Old 12-19-03, 01:13 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Try: www.futureshop.ca

I think they ship internationally
Old 12-19-03, 08:52 AM
Banned

I watch the all three of the movies just recently, and I couldn't detect any defect from the third disc, as everyone complained. Maybe I purchased the corrected box set, without my knowledge, which is a good thing.
I'll have to go and take a look at the bottom of the disc, and see if there is a: V2 printed.
Old 12-19-03, 12:01 PM
Cool New Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is wrong with the first dvd set? I havn't gotten this cause I didn't have a dvd player. I just got one and I am thinking of getting it.
Old 12-19-03, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts
In a nutshell: There's no real "defect". Just a few frames are misframed. If you didn't know what to look for, you'd probably not notice it.
Old 12-19-03, 07:04 PM

Originally posted by TomOpus
In a nutshell: There's no real "defect". Just a few frames are misframed. If you didn't know what to look for, you'd probably not notice it.
‘Twas my understanding that all of BTTF II & III are misframed (except of course, for effects shots), but that the misframing is only readily apparently in those “few scenes” that are so often mentioned (such as the future-jacket gag).

Am I mistaken?
Old 12-20-03, 12:43 PM
Suspended

You are not mistaken. The entire film is mis-framed, but unless you know what to look for you'll only notice that you're missing key information in a few spots.

Still, the frame looks cramped throughout 2 & 3, and the composition is too tight and poorly framed (due to the "zoom" of the misframing). After watching the two sequels for a bit it was pretty obvious that something was wrong.

Still waiting to pick up the V2 versions at Best Buy. Maybe this Christmas season will run the stores out of the old version, finally, although it appears that Universal may still be shipping the defective version to stores.

I hope this is not the case, but I believe it is.
Old 12-20-03, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You are not mistaken. The entire film is mis-framed, but unless you know what to look for you'll only notice that you're missing key information in a few spots.
Wow, you're right. I hadn't heard this. This is from the FAQ, mentioned earlier in this thread:

I have spoken with several people who have made the comparison between the DVD and the widescreen VHS and Laser releases and it's a LARGE PORTION OF BOTH FILMS that is misframed in one way or another. The theory is that only the hard matted effects shots were correct and the rest had centered mattes left the whole time when they needed to be moved for several shots--- so only shot with VFX would be correct. This means hundred of shots have the potential to be wrong.

The problem does not seem to happen for Part 1, but is glaringly obvious in Parts 2 and 3. It affects the whole films of Parts II & III - The misframing is simply more evident during the 2 and 4 minute sections to which Universal has pointed.
...which would make a lot more sense to me if it weren't for the grammatical errors. I don't understand what this means at all:

"The theory is that only the hard matted effects shots were correct and the rest had centered mattes left the whole time when they needed to be moved for several shots--- so only shot with VFX would be correct."

Last edited by evenswr; 12-20-03 at 01:06 PM.
Old 12-20-03, 01:12 PM
Suspended

I'll re-write that portion for you:

"The theory among casual observers is that only the effects shots are correctly framed, since these were "hard-matted." The shots without digital or post-produced effects were "soft-matted" meaning that the shots were filmed with more information recorded at the top and bottom of the frame, and the frame could be re-adjusted when recording a telecine transfer for home video."

Does that make better sense?

The reason the "full frame" version of the films aren't affected is because these were released with an "open-matte" frame, which shows the entire Super 35 frame, which is shaped approximately like your television set.

You can see a few boom mics in the upper portions of the frame when the open matte versions are shown on television. Those portions of the frame were never really meant to be seen, and the shots were composited and framed in-camera with a widescreen "soft-matte."

Last edited by jough; 12-20-03 at 01:15 PM.
Old 12-20-03, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does that make better sense?
Night and day, thanks!

OK, so now the question is, why? Why are the effects shots "hard-matted?"
Old 12-21-03, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts
Just called the number in the FAQ at 1am central time and got a human being... he gave me all the info on BTTF 2 & 3 and took my info... my mailer is on the way!!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.