Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Rip-off Alert - George of the Jungle (widescreen)

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-03, 07:46 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it's worth starting a new thread about current DVD rip-offs. For years, I have owned a copy of the fullscreen Disney "George of the Jungle" and searched in vain for its widescreen version. I finally found one advertised on amazon.ca. Some $ 35 CAN and a couple of weeks later, it turns out they are offering the same old fullscreen version but they are advertising it as "widescreen". A recent check with the Disney site reveals that no widescreen edition was ever available in region 1. Why? is another story. The Disney people are not talking to their public, as usual.
Old 11-13-03, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts
It was available on laserdisc.
Old 11-13-03, 07:49 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arachnophobia advertises on the back of the package it is dolby digital 5.1. Turns out when you play it, it is only in dd 4.0. How dumb is that?
Old 11-13-03, 08:03 PM
Suspended

George of the Jungle

I own a laserdisc player but where will I ever find a "George" laserdisc? It's practically impossible. And why should I settle for the lower quality? The real question is: After all the money Disney made off of poor Brendan Fraser, why don't they put out a decent DVD edition instead of the really crappy (I own it too) "George of the Jungle 2" (in widescreen, this time, direct-to-video widescreen no less!)?
BTW, madmoose: It is quite acceptable to preserve an original 4.0 mix by rechannelling it in 5.1. It's probably done all the time. The only disc that was honest enough to admit it that I know of, though, is "The Robe". And, in the end, the only difference would be that the surround info is in mono and that there is no dedicated SW channel, which is very hard to notice, most of the time. Besides which, the surround sound of giant insects falling from a tropical tree behind your back in "Arachnaphobia" is quite creepy enough, thank you very much.

Last edited by baracine; 11-13-03 at 08:08 PM.
Old 11-13-03, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
Ebay has one going for 6.99 as we speak.
Old 11-13-03, 08:27 PM
Suspended

George of the Jungle

To Milo: That's "George of the Jungle 2", milo, "2"!! Don't you think I checked?! There are hundreds of "George of the Jungle 2" (widescreen) being unloaded on eBay at $ 6.99 as we speak... It's that bad!
Old 11-13-03, 08:54 PM

I know I know. I'm threadcrapping here. And I apologize. I'm not picking on you baracine. "George of the Jungle" is an entertaining movie, but.......

I started two threads in the past month questioning the progress and/or planning of an "Everybody Loves Raymond" Season Set Collection. This is arguably one of the finest TV shows in recent times. And I think I got maybe one or two replies.

But a "George of the Jungle" thread gets six replies in less than an hour.

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Old 11-13-03, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Everybody loves George of the Jungle.
Old 11-13-03, 10:07 PM
Suspended

Threadcrapping...

I just learned the meaning of the word tonight and it happens to me the same night! Listen, Tarnation, I'm just as surprised as you are. It seems that not only does everybody love George of the Jungle but when you get ripped off trying to get a better version of a DVD you love, that's an emergency and it's worth sounding the alarm... Besides, Raymond sounds like he's going to be on TV forever... Don't you think getting the true classics on DVD is more of a priority, like "Ren & Stimpy", for instance?
Old 11-13-03, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Threadcrapping...

Originally posted by baracine
I just learned the meaning of the word tonight and it happens to me the same night! Listen, Tarnation, I'm just as surprised as you are. It seems that not only does everybody love George of the Jungle but when you get ripped off trying to get a better version of a DVD you love, that's an emergency and it's worth sounding the alarm... Besides, Raymond sounds like he's going to be on TV forever... Don't you think getting the true classics on DVD is more of a priority, like "Ren & Stimpy", for instance?

Its not like you bought it from some person on a street corner, email Amazon.ca, they should take it back and give you a refund.

After all if they claim it was widescreen and it wasnt then its their fault.
Old 11-14-03, 06:45 AM
Suspended

Amazon.ca

Exactly. My refund is on the way. But the false hope, the frustration! And Amazon.ca had the gall to send me a form letter explaining the difference between Fullscreen and Widescreen! I could kill!!
Old 11-14-03, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by milo bloom
Ebay has one going for 6.99 as we speak.
HEY don't tell him about that I'm the only bidder on it right now, and I want it
Old 11-14-03, 07:40 AM
Suspended

eBay

C'mon, guys! I checked. There is no "George of the Jungle" Widescreen DVD offered on eBay for the very good reason that there is no such product. You are referring to "George of the Jungle 2" starring a Fraser lookalike with the improbable name of Showerman.
Old 11-14-03, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I...AM...SHOWERMAN!!!!

Old 11-14-03, 08:53 AM
Suspended

Showerman

I'm so glad that's settled... Just don't drop the soap.

Last edited by baracine; 11-14-03 at 09:19 AM.
Old 11-14-03, 11:58 AM

...guess I'll have to check this flick out...
Old 11-14-03, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: George of the Jungle

To Milo: That's "George of the Jungle 2", milo, "2"!! Don't you think I checked?! There are hundreds of "George of the Jungle 2" (widescreen) being unloaded on eBay at $ 6.99 as we speak... It's that bad!
That's a WS GotJ 1 LD on ebay. Use the category breadcrumbs so you're searching only in laserdiscs and search for George of the Jungle.

And Tarnower, not everybody loves Raymond. Some of us want him dead. Oh, so dead.

Old 11-14-03, 12:18 PM
Suspended

The laserdisc...

Gee, thanks, Milo. I thought you guys were joking. I might actually be tempted by the laserdisc if only because Disney is not exactly responsive to consumer requests and there might very well never be a "George" widescreen edition on DVD, just like there never was one for "Death Becomes Her" after all those years.

And Tarnower: The only comedy series I have ever wanted to own on DVD is "Absolutely Fabulous" because it wasn't shot around the same kitchen sink for 26 consecutive weeks. You just think you love Raymond when actually you're addicted to the same whiny presence everyday around the same time in your living room, just like you go for potato chips when you're hungry. It's comfort food for the brain. And yes, like ignorance and poverty, "Raymond" will always be with us.
Old 11-14-03, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Numanoid
I...AM...SHOWERMAN!!!!

Didn't Black Sabbath sing that?
Old 11-14-03, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The laserdisc...

Gee, thanks, Milo. I thought you guys were joking. I might actually be tempted by the laserdisc if only because Disney is not exactly responsive to consumer requests and there might very well never be a "George" widescreen edition on DVD, just like there never was one for "Death Becomes Her" after all those years.

And Tarnower: The only comedy series I have ever wanted to own on DVD is "Absolutely Fabulous" because it wasn't shot around the same kitchen sink for 26 consecutive weeks. You just think you love Raymond when actually you're addicted to the same whiny presence everyday around the same time in your living room, just like you go for potato chips when you're hungry. It's comfort food for the brain. And yes, like ignorance and poverty, "Raymond" will always be with us.
Wow, you both hate Raymond and love AbFab. I'm still mulling over your Kill Bill vs The Mummy Returns thread, but I'm starting to think you're not half bad. Well except for the Brendan Fraser obsession. That's just creepy.
Old 11-14-03, 04:02 PM
Suspended

Brendan Fraser

What can I say? I'm a translator by trade and I learned that Fraser, who is English Canadian, speaks fluent French. In this country, this quality, in a non-politician, is just the mark of a truly great guy!
Old 11-15-03, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll admit I think rented GotJ years ago on video and halfway enjoyed it. If Disney ever did a re-do, I might consider it.
Old 11-15-03, 11:31 AM
Suspended

George of the Jungle 2

If by "re-do", you mean a sequel, they already did and it's not nothing to write home about, since it doesn't even star Brendan Fraser.

If you mean a new (widescreen) DVD edition, I'm with you.
Old 11-15-03, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have the WS laser and the FF DVD. You can never have too much GOTJ