Old 11-11-03, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want a criterion of Altman's Nashville,with a boatload of commenteries
Old 11-11-03, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

!

Originally posted by slop101
Any chance that the Criterion Altman could be Short Cuts?
I sure hope it is! I could do without ever sitting through 3 Women again after watching my bootleg tape more than 3 times for several papers in a film class... but Short Cuts I've been dying to see again!
Old 11-11-03, 07:19 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally posted by Ed Crane
Yeah, that John Ford news is just plain neat.

The Searchers!
I can't imagine Warners will license The Searchers to Criterion. It seems perfect for one of those two-disk editions they've (Warner)been releasing lately (Citizen Kane, Casablanca, Singin' In the Rain, etc.).
Old 11-11-03, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Here's the whole thing.

Back in the laserdisc era, Criterion was one of the first companies to recognize the demand for films shown in their proper aspect ratios, so you can thank them for the black bars that preserve a film's original theatrical image. Criterion also pioneered the use of supplementary material, so you can thank them for audio commentaries and still galleries as well. But all of this came at a price for the independent company, inevitably passed on to the tiny laserdisc consumer base.

"It used to be that we had to scale our work very, very carefully, since there were barely enough laserdisc players to break even after just making a decent master," says Criterion president Peter Becker. "We were certainly early, aggressive pioneers in the development of the special features that have become the standard bells and whistles on a lot of DVDs, but in those days, we could afford to do, say, an elaborate edition of `Silence of the Lambs,' but our edition of `La Strada' really had nothing on it. In fact, if you go back and look at our laserdiscs of the great international classics, many of them have little on them at all in terms of special features."

"I also go back and look at what we sold of certain releases," he added. "`Andrei Rublyov' is a very important film, arguably Tarkovsky's masterpiece, and I think we sold maybe 660 copies of that on laserdisc. When you have to break even on 660 copies, let alone make a profit, it tells you why the list price on something like that had to be $99."

Restoring classic films

Given the massive success of the DVD format, Criterion has had an easier time restoring and distributing classic films from their catalog. "At the height of the laserdisc market, there were maybe a couple of million active players," says Becker. "DVD outstripped that number in its first year. On DVD, the cost barriers aren't nearly as high as they were on laserdisc, so there's the possibility of introducing a lot of new customers to these films and for us to do a level of work that we could never have afforded to do on laserdisc. We didn't have the tools to do nearly as much restoration work then as we do now. Now we're doing most of our digital restoration on a high-definition level and contributing to actual film restoration, so that films can be brought back out in theaters. All of that was [previously] beyond our reach."

In fact, a restored print of Gillo Pontecorvo's "The Battle of Algiers" hits theaters this January before an eventual DVD release. In the meantime, Criterion's most recent DVD releases are as impressive and eclectic as ever. David Cronenberg's mind-bending "Naked Lunch" arrives as a two-disc edition, while Steven Soderbergh's strange "Schizopolis" comes as a single disc packed with special features as surreal as the film itself, such as a commentary track with the director interviewing himself. Jean-Pierre Melville's "Le Cercle Rouge" and Yasujiro Ozu's masterpiece "Tokyo Story" get the double-disc treatment. "A Film Trilogy" and "The BRD Trilogy" are extensively packaged boxed sets dedicated to Ingmar Bergman and Rainer Werner Fassbinder, respectively. Each justifies the long-standing Criterion nickname "film school in a box."

Everyone benefits

Of course, nowadays Criterion is just one of many companies releasing special editions on DVD, but Becker thinks the high standards Criterion set and continues to maintain benefits everyone. "Important preservation work, which was once done by the Academy or under not-for-profit circumstances, is now being carried out by for-profit institutions," he says. "It's really a quite extraordinary moment in that way. Because people are now putting on supplements and seeking out archival elements, and it's really re-invigorated the archives. Everybody's improving their catalog systems and in turn taking in a fair amount of licensing capital that wasn't there before, just because people are taking an interest. It's going to be hugely important for film history."

Given the constant search for the best possible materials -- a pristine print of Carl Dryer's "The Passion of Joan of Arc" was famously found in a Norwegian asylum, and a DVD edition of Jean Renoir's "The Rules of the Game" was postponed until early next year after an original negative was discovered at the last minute -- Becker isn't always at liberty to say just what will and will not show up on DVD from year to year.

"[Laurence Olivier's] `Richard III' has been a monumental effort, and we'll be doing some Robert Altman this year, Samuel Fuller's `Pickup on South Street,' Fritz Lang's `The Testament of Dr. Mobuse' and a dual edition of Ozu's `Floating Weeds' and `A Story of Floating Weeds.' Then we'll be doing some work on [John] Cassavetes and John Ford, plus more Godard, Kurosawa, Renoir . . . and a long-awaited Italian masterpiece. But I don't want to jinx myself, because we haven't got all the stuff we need to finish it."
Old 11-11-03, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally posted by wendersfan
They take really great movies (Grand Illusion, Seven Samurai, Contempt, etc.) and turn out fantastic special editions for them.

A Criterion La Bete Humaine would be awesome. Just the thing to go with Rules of the Game.
I suppose then The Rock and Armageddon are "really great movies".
Old 11-11-03, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by wfujosh
Exceptional or landmark movies for their genre is probably a better description. Both of those movies do fall under that description. Even if you don't like them, they were important movie releases.
Old 11-11-03, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wonder what works of John Cassavetes Criterion is planning, so much to work from. I would love Gloria and Woman Under the Influence. Stunning work by Rowlands.
Old 11-11-03, 08:30 PM

Originally posted by wfujosh
Well, that's certainly arguable

There are two basic reasons why they did The Rock and Armageddon - 1) Michael Bay is, like many of use here, a Criterion freak, and really wanted to work with the company to do special editions of his films, and 2) Criterion makes a lot of money from those releases, so they can afford to do things like the Brakhage DVD, which probably won't turn a profit ever. Besides, I didn't say the only thing Criterion did was release "really great movies"
Old 11-11-03, 08:31 PM

Originally posted by talemyn
Exceptional or landmark movies for their genre is probably a better description. Both of those movies do fall under that description. Even if you don't like them, they were important movie releases.
I never understand when people say this. Are they such huge Criterion fans that they really allow themselves to believe it? Those are two completely forgettable movies that are no better than most summer action blockbusters. Armageddon was particularly bad.
Old 11-11-03, 08:38 PM

Originally posted by kingtopher
I never understand when people say this. Are they such huge Criterion fans that they really allow themselves to believe it? Those are two completely forgettable movies that are no better than most summer action blockbusters. Armageddon was particularly bad.
I think most Criterion "fans" are pretty sanguine about the quality of the two Bay films. The thing is, while those are probably the two most notorious releases the company has done, some of their other films are pretty weak too. I Am Curious: Yellow, anyone? I guess you could argue that it's an historically important film, but I think most people agree it has little artistic merit. I think I'd rather watch The Rock again, personally. Armageddon, maybe not.
Old 11-11-03, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts
Thanks so much for posting the full article. I learned a lot about Criterion and their thought process from this. In addition, I didn't have to register for the Chicago Tribune.

Again - Thank YOU!

danwiz
Old 11-11-03, 09:50 PM

Originally posted by wendersfan
Well, that's certainly arguable

There are two basic reasons why they did The Rock and Armageddon - 1) Michael Bay is, like many of use here, a Criterion freak, and really wanted to work with the company to do special editions of his films, and 2) Criterion makes a lot of money from those releases, so they can afford to do things like the Brakhage DVD, which probably won't turn a profit ever. Besides, I didn't say the only thing Criterion did was release "really great movies"
From what I read, by Brakhage got a warm response.
Old 11-11-03, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally posted by talemyn
Landmark movies?

Big-budget, overbloated, action blockbusters have been done to death before these 2 films - and much better to boot. How exactly are these "landmark movies"?

This is just a Criterion fan's excuse to justify why these titles are in the collection. They're bad films which aren't important in any way, shape or form.

The only reason they're in the collection: $$$$$$$$.
Old 11-11-03, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Coral
Landmark movies?.... They're bad films which aren't important in any way, shape or form.

I doubt there is a person on this forum who couldn't point to some title on Criterion and make an argument against it. People have pointed to The Blob, Carnival of Souls, Flesh For Frankenstein, etc. Just because something is unimportant to you doesn't necessarily mean it is unimportant. You don't like it - don't buy it. Move on.
Old 11-11-03, 11:41 PM

I'd personally like to see more mainstream Criterion SE's in addition to the obsure foreign titles (Fear and Loathing, Naked Lunch, Rushmore, Do the Right Thing, Brazil, etc.)

I'd buy a MASH criterion, and I'd pick up The Searchers in a heartbeat.
Old 11-12-03, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by kingtopher
I think it's funny that people are automatically assuming that I am a "Criterion Fan". All you would have to do was click my collection links to see that I own exactly 8 Criterions: Armageddon, Brazil, Chasing Amy, Monty Python's Life of Brian, Robocop, The Rock, Time Bandits, and Traffic. I bought them because they were movies that I enjoy (on one level or another) and the Criterion versions offered something (whether it be special features, audio and/or video quality, etc.) that other versions did not. I would hardly consider myself to be a "Criterion Fan".

That being said, people are also mis-reading my comments. I did not say that they were "landmark movies" . . . I said that they were "landmark movies for their genre" and that is an important distinction. For example, the Star Wars Trilogy (Ep. 4-6) were not great movies over all (much of the acting was poor, a good chunk of the dialog is pretty cheesy, etc.), but it does not stop the movies from being landmark in both the areas of epic film and science fiction (now there is a thought - The Star Wars Original Trilogy- Criterion Collection . . . hmmmm).

As to the specifics of why Armageddon and The Rock warranted their Criterion releases, let me begin by quoting Criterions website the "Armageddon" and "The Rock" movies.

Armageddon
"Despite what you may have heard, Armageddon is a work of art by a cutting-edge artist who is a master of movement, light, color, and shape—and also of chaos, razzle-dazzle, and explosion."

The Rock
"The movie is a triumph of style, tone, and energy—an action picture that rises to the top of the genre because of a literate, witty screenplay and skilled craftsmanship in the direction and special effects."

I think that those descriptions are dead-on for both movies. Are they "merely" summer, action, blockbusters? Well, I don't agree with the merely, but, absolutely . . . they are . . . I would consider "action blockbuster" to be their genre, in fact. And, within that genre, they are both very important for the kind of action that they brought with them. Both movies are spectacular examples of action cinematography. The camera angles, use of lighting, framing, scene composition, etc. are al exceptional, and, quite frankly, "landmark". Additionally, for The Rock, the dialog is crafted at a level of intelligence never seen in a prior, blockbuster-style action movie. It brought the movie to a level higher than any of it's peers at the time (and probably higher than most since).

Criterion describes its collection as "a continuing series of important classic and contemporary films". I'm not going to claim that every Criterion movie is a "great" amongst the world of all movies . . . I can't even say that I like them all, but I do respect the extraordinary achievments that each movie (or the ones that I know, at least) has made in some area of cinema.

As such, I think the both Armageddon and The Rock are both worthy of Criterion releases based on being "exceptional or landmark movies for their genre" of action blockbusters.

Side Note: There are actually a number of points of contention that I have with Armageddon, as an overall movie, that I would be happy to discuss in a more appropriate thread.
Old 11-12-03, 12:50 AM
Suspended

Forget about The Searchers. That's a Warner property. Criterion is probably planning the release of some ancient public domain B&W oater.

I'd put money down that the Altman title will be 3 Women.

Man...Altman, Ford, Fuller, Lang, Cassavetes....times are looking up for Criterion.
Old 11-12-03, 01:17 AM

there is reason to believe that 3 women is coming out. go to the criterion forum for details.
Old 01-19-04, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Der Zorn Gottes

I have no idea what the John Ford could be. Maybe Grapes of Wrath from Fox, but isn't that already confirmed? I don't think Warner or MGM would lend their Ford titles.

I also don't know what the Cassavettes could be. Hopefully, Shadows.
As for the Cassavetes, I've noticed that Shadows, Faces, Husbands, Woman Under the Influence, and Killing of a Chinese Bookie are all released by "Pioneer Video"....so any of them could be it I guess. If I had to guess it's probably Shadows, but I'd personally love to see Killing of a Chinese Bookie first, A Woman Under the Influence second....

As for Ford, eesh....that could be any number of things eh? there's only abouta 100 possibilities....I'm guessing they'll go back and pick a silent or two for a set maybe....but if I had to pick a dream favorite, i'd go with Drums Along the Mohawk - not on DVD as of now and Fox has the VHS rights. That'd work for me
Old 01-19-04, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm willing to bet that the Ford will be Young Mr. Lincoln, which was just selected for the National Film Registry (The Long Voyage Home is also a possibility). I would personally like to see The Informer. All of those seem more in line with the kind of titles Criterion typically goes for.

As for the Altman, I'm nearly certain it won't be Short Cuts. But 3 Women sounds about right - much more cultish. I would love to be wrong though !
Old 01-19-04, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Neat. Thanks for the news.
Old 01-19-04, 06:23 PM
Suspended

Just because something is unimportant to you ...

Well, they are pretty much your typical Bruckheimer crap. Sniff sniff...

Anyways, Criterion's are awfully expensive.
Old 01-19-04, 06:34 PM

My god can we just have one criterion thread without people bringing up The Rock and Armageddon?? There's 227 other movies in their collection that DO fit their criteria!

It's almost like they decided to make them part of their collection so that people could have a convenient weak spot to attack whenever the worth of the Criterion Collection came up.

If the rest of the collection is Smaug then The Rock and Armaggedon are that one uncovered spot on his belly.
Old 01-19-04, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally posted by TopHatCat64
There's 227 other movies in their collection that DO fit their criteria!.
227? I don't think so.

Armageddon and The Rock aren't the only questionable titles in the collection.
Old 01-19-04, 11:12 PM

As for Ford, eesh....that could be any number of things eh? there's only abouta 100 possibilities....I'm guessing they'll go back and pick a silent or two for a set maybe....but if I had to pick a dream favorite, i'd go with Drums Along the Mohawk - not on DVD as of now and Fox has the VHS rights. That'd work for me.
Don't tease me like that...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.