DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Finding Nemo Sets New One Day Sales Record! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/328316-finding-nemo-sets-new-one-day-sales-record.html)

RyoHazuki 11-06-03 07:23 AM

Well Im glad someone beat Spiderman but I didnt want Nemo to be the one.

aperry 11-06-03 08:50 AM

Nemo is great, a movie I could watch 50 times!

Mine... Mine! Mine!!! Love those seagulls!

RobCA 11-06-03 08:56 AM

Originally posted by eau
I got my copy from Target on Tuesday, contributing 1 to the 9 millions record ;)
Me 2! :D

Rob

Nefarious 11-06-03 09:36 AM

I think they are stretching it a bit with the "chances of shortage" ploy.

The two stores I've been to still had hundreds of copies and this is two days after release. Just slick marketing to try and create a perception of buy now as you may not be able to find it later.

F For Fake 11-06-03 09:41 AM

Wow, with so many copies in circulation, these things should be hitting the second-hand shops any day now. I'll wait a bit and pick one up for about $7 a few weeks down the road.

nemein 11-06-03 10:00 AM

Originally posted by DVD Polizei
8 Mil copies in one day is a lot. If you average that out, it means that roughly 3% of the population has a copy in their homes

Actually, that means .001% of the population has the movie, and they are selling them all on eBay at inflated prices. :D

:confused: 8 million copies, US pop est is ~290M so actually both of you are wrong -ptth- it's about ~2.75%. Considering I think the stat is still about 3 people/household (couldn't easily find the #of households in the US) that means roughly 8% of the households have a copy of Finding Nemo now -eek-

talemyn 11-06-03 10:34 AM

Originally posted by nemein
:confused: 8 million copies, US pop est is ~290M so actually both of you are wrong -ptth- it's about ~2.75%. Considering I think the stat is still about 3 people/household (couldn't easily find the #of households in the US) that means roughly 8% of the households have a copy of Finding Nemo now -eek-
Unless of course, everyone was like Lucian . . .

Originally posted by Lucian55
There was a line of about 10 people at my Disney Store at 11am yesterday. Disney can thank me for 8 of those 8,000,000 units.
So divide by 8 . . .

3 carry the 3 . . .

then . . . oh . . . wait . . . damn . . .

Well . . . a lower percentage anyway . . .

ctyankee 11-06-03 12:15 PM

Originally posted by gerrythedon
I was off by 1million:)... PIXAR rules!!!

[2nd post]
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...5&pagenumber=1

Looks like this is correct the math day.

8 million sold but the thread you posted to was how many DVD would be sold first day/week.

As 80 percent sold were DVD - 20 percent vhs that means

6.4 million copies DVDs sold.

Nice estimate - ya beat mine. Hopefully they will report full sales for the week.

Groucho 11-06-03 12:17 PM

Wow, I had no idea there was such demand for kiddie movies.

PJsig08 11-06-03 01:07 PM

I knew this was coming...this was a HUGE movie this summer loved by everyone. Hell, even people my age (early 20s) loved it.

Picked it up as a blind buy and really enjoyed it. Funny movie, geared towards adults in many scenes.

Engel07 11-06-03 04:08 PM

I heard from the news that they're having shortage problem in keeping up with the demand on the DVD. It would be nice if they stop making them...then maybe my collection is worth something :)

ThriceDamned 11-06-03 07:10 PM

"Disney had a big fish story to tell Wednesday as its Buena Vista Home Entertainment division reported that eight million VHS and DVD copies of Finding Nemo were sold on the first day on the shelves, representing $150 million in revenue. The figure far surpassed the previous record holder, Columbia TriStar's Spider-Man, which sold 7 million copies on its first day. The previous record for an animated film was Disney/Pixar's Monsters, Inc., which moved 5 million copies on its first day. " (imdb.com)

That should clear up the confusion regarding the all time sales records.

shaggy 11-06-03 10:44 PM

I'm not surprised, the Walmart by me was sold out, that is pretty rare. Amazing film and DVD, bring on the Incredibles

aperry 11-07-03 12:22 AM

Originally posted by PJsig08
even people my age (early 20s) loved it.
Yeah, you old fogies... :lol: