DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Finding Nemo Sets New One Day Sales Record! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/328316-finding-nemo-sets-new-one-day-sales-record.html)

Samuel_M 11-05-03 04:49 PM

Finding Nemo Sets New One Day Sales Record!

Hello:

8 Million DVD/VHS sales in one day!!! The breakdown was about 80% DVD vs. 20% VHS. Not too shabby! ;)

Here is the link to the story:

http://money.cnn.com/2003/11/05/tech...ex.htm?cnn=yes

Enjoy!

Kerborus 11-05-03 04:54 PM

Unbelievable...

I don't understand what sells a movie then. The Disney formula sure seems to do the trick...

Dazed 11-05-03 04:57 PM

I prefer to think of it as the Pixar formula :D

The disney formula doesnt seem to be that great lately.

Either way this is great news for a great film.

joshualane 11-05-03 04:57 PM

It's not the Disney formula... it's the Pixar formula which is far better!

Alien Redrum 11-05-03 05:20 PM

Wow. I would have thought Lion King would have done better.

Go figure.

Iron_Giant 11-05-03 05:29 PM

I bought my copy yesterday at BestBuy for $15.99.

I was there about 90 minutes after BB opened and I could already tell that alot of the Nemo DVDs were gone.

NikePenguin 11-05-03 05:54 PM

I went to CC at lunchtime and they had already run out of the bonus mousepads. I had no trouble getting the bonus radio with Lion King when it came out.

TomOpus 11-05-03 06:06 PM

This is not surprising. I told people at work 3 days ago it will set a one day record. It took over The Lion King as the king of the animated box office. There was no "widescreen" vs "full screen" or "boxset" vs "regular release" battles or decisions.

In a nutsell, it's a great movie, lots of extras, just before Christmas and most places had it for around $15. Pixar just does it right.... again.

TomOpus 11-05-03 06:10 PM

Originally posted by Lucian55
Oh yeah, what had the record? How much?
Well, if you clicked on the link in the first post.... :p

Okay, it was 5 million... Monster's Inc

talemyn 11-05-03 08:27 PM

Originally posted by TomOpus
Well, if you clicked on the link in the first post.... :p

Okay, it was 5 million... Monster's Inc

That's strange . . . this story says something different than the other one . . .

The animated tale sold a record 8 million DVD and VHS copies in its first day Tuesday, breaking the previous high of 7 million set last year by "Spider-Man," according to "Finding Nemo" partners Disney and Pixar Animation.
I wonder which is right? :hscratch:

theneobez 11-05-03 08:42 PM

I am right

Autotelik 11-05-03 08:58 PM

8 Mil copies in one day is a lot. If you average that out, it means that roughly 3% of the population has a copy in their homes. Think about how many people live on your block, and how many of those houses have Finding Nemo sitting around right now.

TomOpus 11-05-03 09:09 PM

Originally posted by talemyn
That's strange . . . this story says something different than the other one . . .I wonder which is right? :hscratch:
Well well... that's fishy (sorry... heh heh)

Darryl 11-05-03 10:11 PM

I have never been a fan of anything Disney released, with the exception of FANTASIA. Pixar continues to amaze. Disney should be grateful for them (although you rarely see anything Pixar related at the theme parks). FINDING NEMO is an excellent DVD, once again Pixar does not dissapoint.

Kerborus 11-05-03 10:30 PM

Well then, get me a pencil and some paper and a few silly celebrity voices...

I mean honestly, Pixar being cool aside, it wows me that Star Wars or Lord of the Rings or ANY other movie other than an animated movie like 'Nemo' has this title.

Is it because kids buy it too? Kids, teens, adults and grandpa? It has to be... A wider audience to sell too?

I for one, won't be buying it... Sorry Disney/Pixar.

SteveL 11-05-03 10:33 PM

Originally posted by TomOpus
Well well... that's fishy (sorry... heh heh)
:lol:

GMLSKIS 11-05-03 11:25 PM

Cool - I knew it would !

BJacks 11-05-03 11:51 PM

Originally posted by Kerborus
Is it because kids buy it too? Kids, teens, adults and grandpa? It has to be... A wider audience to sell too?
Of course. Finding Nemo is a film that appeals to just about every demographic. I saw old guys buying it, teenage girls, janitors, guys in Harley Davidson garb, etc.

NikePenguin 11-06-03 12:40 AM

Don't forget "Finding Nemo" is a current hit especially with the current crop of kids. Lion King is 9 years old. I don't think a lot of high school kids are clamoring for their parents to buy them Lion King!

caiman 11-06-03 01:12 AM

I predicted this when I saw every person at Best Buy holding a copy (sometimes more than one). Couldn't have happened to a better DVD.

cruzness 11-06-03 01:27 AM

Let's face it. It's a great film by Pixar. No widescreen vs. full screen debate. And Christmas is coming. I wouldn' be surprised if early Christmas shopping helped sell another couple of million units.

DVD Polizei 11-06-03 02:11 AM

8 Mil copies in one day is a lot. If you average that out, it means that roughly 3% of the population has a copy in their homes

Actually, that means .001% of the population has the movie, and they are selling them all on eBay at inflated prices. :D

gerrythedon 11-06-03 02:18 AM

I was off by 1million:)... PIXAR rules!!!

[2nd post]
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...5&pagenumber=1

eau 11-06-03 02:23 AM

I got my copy from Target on Tuesday, contributing 1 to the 9 millions record ;)

Btw, Pixar rules, and Disney sucks!

PixyJunket 11-06-03 07:20 AM

Nemo > You

RyoHazuki 11-06-03 07:23 AM

Well Im glad someone beat Spiderman but I didnt want Nemo to be the one.

aperry 11-06-03 08:50 AM

Nemo is great, a movie I could watch 50 times!

Mine... Mine! Mine!!! Love those seagulls!

RobCA 11-06-03 08:56 AM

Originally posted by eau
I got my copy from Target on Tuesday, contributing 1 to the 9 millions record ;)
Me 2! :D

Rob

Nefarious 11-06-03 09:36 AM

I think they are stretching it a bit with the "chances of shortage" ploy.

The two stores I've been to still had hundreds of copies and this is two days after release. Just slick marketing to try and create a perception of buy now as you may not be able to find it later.

F For Fake 11-06-03 09:41 AM

Wow, with so many copies in circulation, these things should be hitting the second-hand shops any day now. I'll wait a bit and pick one up for about $7 a few weeks down the road.

nemein 11-06-03 10:00 AM

Originally posted by DVD Polizei
8 Mil copies in one day is a lot. If you average that out, it means that roughly 3% of the population has a copy in their homes

Actually, that means .001% of the population has the movie, and they are selling them all on eBay at inflated prices. :D

:confused: 8 million copies, US pop est is ~290M so actually both of you are wrong -ptth- it's about ~2.75%. Considering I think the stat is still about 3 people/household (couldn't easily find the #of households in the US) that means roughly 8% of the households have a copy of Finding Nemo now -eek-

talemyn 11-06-03 10:34 AM

Originally posted by nemein
:confused: 8 million copies, US pop est is ~290M so actually both of you are wrong -ptth- it's about ~2.75%. Considering I think the stat is still about 3 people/household (couldn't easily find the #of households in the US) that means roughly 8% of the households have a copy of Finding Nemo now -eek-
Unless of course, everyone was like Lucian . . .

Originally posted by Lucian55
There was a line of about 10 people at my Disney Store at 11am yesterday. Disney can thank me for 8 of those 8,000,000 units.
So divide by 8 . . .

3 carry the 3 . . .

then . . . oh . . . wait . . . damn . . .

Well . . . a lower percentage anyway . . .

ctyankee 11-06-03 12:15 PM

Originally posted by gerrythedon
I was off by 1million:)... PIXAR rules!!!

[2nd post]
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...5&pagenumber=1

Looks like this is correct the math day.

8 million sold but the thread you posted to was how many DVD would be sold first day/week.

As 80 percent sold were DVD - 20 percent vhs that means

6.4 million copies DVDs sold.

Nice estimate - ya beat mine. Hopefully they will report full sales for the week.

Groucho 11-06-03 12:17 PM

Wow, I had no idea there was such demand for kiddie movies.

PJsig08 11-06-03 01:07 PM

I knew this was coming...this was a HUGE movie this summer loved by everyone. Hell, even people my age (early 20s) loved it.

Picked it up as a blind buy and really enjoyed it. Funny movie, geared towards adults in many scenes.

Engel07 11-06-03 04:08 PM

I heard from the news that they're having shortage problem in keeping up with the demand on the DVD. It would be nice if they stop making them...then maybe my collection is worth something :)

ThriceDamned 11-06-03 07:10 PM

"Disney had a big fish story to tell Wednesday as its Buena Vista Home Entertainment division reported that eight million VHS and DVD copies of Finding Nemo were sold on the first day on the shelves, representing $150 million in revenue. The figure far surpassed the previous record holder, Columbia TriStar's Spider-Man, which sold 7 million copies on its first day. The previous record for an animated film was Disney/Pixar's Monsters, Inc., which moved 5 million copies on its first day. " (imdb.com)

That should clear up the confusion regarding the all time sales records.

shaggy 11-06-03 10:44 PM

I'm not surprised, the Walmart by me was sold out, that is pretty rare. Amazing film and DVD, bring on the Incredibles

aperry 11-07-03 12:22 AM

Originally posted by PJsig08
even people my age (early 20s) loved it.
Yeah, you old fogies... :lol: