Got Snow White PE (Canadian packaging?)

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-03, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered Snow White Platinum last weekend (figured I should while I still could) and just received the package. I ordered 3 since that would allow me to use a $5 off coupon and was planning to sell the extra 2 on eBay for a profit. Well, I opened up the package and the covers have a circle covering up part of the queen that says "Version francaise incluse". Other than that I think the only difference is a small Canadian flag on the back and some text that says it's only authorized for sale in Canada. It's not a very big difference from the American packaging, but it bugs me and I'm worried it will decrease the eBay value a lot. I had no idea there was alternate packaging when I ordered it and the picture on the website clearly shows the American version. Any thoughts on the situation?
Old 11-01-03, 03:15 PM

you will lose on ebay...I wouldn't buy it if I knew it had canadian covers and art...if i ordered it without knowing (as in it wasn't posted on the auction) I would demand a rufund.

In your case however...you won't get one unless you use ebay, or find one second hand.

bottom line you lost
Old 11-01-03, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can't speak for Snow White, but my copy of Beauty and the Beast is the Canadian version. It is identical to the US release. I don't think the discs differ in any way, they just have that sticker there so that French speaking Canadians know there is a French language track on the disc. The cover art and back of the case are all still in English, correct? If so, I see no problem. So what if there is an extra sticker on the outside of the shrink wrap.

Megatron, why would this be such a big deal to you?

Good luck selling them on ebay, hope you score big

Dan
Old 11-01-03, 07:31 PM

Wait a year. When you list it make sure you mention that it's identical to the US version and it's for Region 1 DVD players. It's already fetching around $35 on eBay...just wait.
Old 11-01-03, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Doesn't anyone else feel like saying "that's what you get for doing something like that"?
Old 11-02-03, 07:57 AM

Canadian cover art for disney is nearly the same as in the US. Only difference is the yellow sticker that says: "Version francais include". I don't know what this fuss is all about anyway. I don't give a rats ass about a cover being bilingual. Is this some kind of xenophobic reaction towards the french in general?
Old 11-02-03, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Elrond
Canadian cover art for disney is nearly the same as in the US. Only difference is the yellow sticker that says: "Version francais include". I don't know what this fuss is all about anyway. I don't give a rats ass about a cover being bilingual. Is this some kind of xenophobic reaction towards the french in general?
I don't get it either. I've got a few bilingual covers from Canada and I couldn't care less.
Old 11-02-03, 11:39 AM

Well, I just checked the completed items on eBay and I guess the Canadian ones are going for as much as the U.S. ones, so I suppose I'm fine.
Old 11-02-03, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Actually, I HATE those stupid bilingual covers too... BUT, in the case of the Disney animated dvds, the only difference is that little circle (about the size of a penny) on the front, and a TINY little Canadian flag at the bottom on the back. This is about as insignificant as you can get and doesn't bother me much. I own several of them. I think lowly of you for trying to take advantage of others by re-selling them, but that's your right of course. This particular title is still quite previlant in stores and the profits to be had are very little at this point. Like someone already stated, you'd be better off waiting a year or so before selling them to make anything on them. Whaen you doeBay them, I would just make sure you do a scan of the actual dvd itself and put it in the auction, not even mentioning it. If anyone asks what it is, then tell them. There would be no discrepency in what they are getting though if the picture of it is right there.
Old 11-03-03, 12:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just remember, there's far fewer Canadian disks out there than US ones. So sell it as the rare limited edition.
Old 11-03-03, 05:46 PM

Originally posted by Feathers McGraw
Just remember, there's far fewer Canadian disks out there than US ones. So sell it as the rare limited edition.
Hey, that's a great idea! You should be in marketing.
Old 11-03-03, 09:34 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
I've ordered a few Disney discs from Overstock.com (a U.S. company) and they were all the Canadian versions. AFAIK the discs are EXACTLY the same, since the US versions have French language tracks too.

I wouldn't worry too much about ebaying - you can still get a decent price for them on there. Just be SURE to mention that they have the canadian markings on the cover.