Best Studio Ghibli boxed set?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-03, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have US DVDs or tapes of about half the Studio Ghibli releases, but my wife really wants ALL OF THEM, esp this new return of the cat. I've seen half a dozen different box sets though, even ones at DVD Planet, and everybody says that all of them are bootlegs. I don't understand how selling bootlegs could be so widespread, and worse it doesn't change my wifes want a hoot, so any clues on which of the boxed sets are the best?

Obviously I know I don't want the VCD, but I have seen 4 DVD sets, 6 DVD sets, 12 DVD sets, and at all prices from $28 plus air mail from hong kong, to $75 shipped from US. Whats a good set? or even who is a good seller?
Old 10-30-03, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
The only one I've held in my hands is the 6-disc set. I've watched a few of the movies. It seems like a nice set but you have to play with the menus since most of it isn't in english.

I didn't get to play with the discs too much, but I believe they are barebones. 2 movies per disc... except one is a music video. The one that I really liked (that I never saw before) was Nausicaa and I believe it's getting a R1 release soon. Most of the other movies are available now for R1.

I'm sure there are others who can give more/better info on this set.
Old 10-30-03, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Any DVD box you find, as far as I know, is a bootleg. If you want them all as a set, you can buy the Japanese Laserdiscs, which have drastically come down in price as the DVDs come out.

As for the ones not out in the US, you can buy them from amotokyo.com or amazon.co.jp. Note these will be region 2, so you need a region free player.
Old 10-30-03, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,193 Likes on 1,498 Posts
Those Ghibli box sets are definitely bootlegs, and I'm afraid that talking about where to get such sets would be against forum rules.

Be patient, more R1 Ghibli discs are on the way next year.
Old 10-30-03, 06:09 PM
Registered

They're all bottlegs.

Bootlegs - Bad
Thread - Closed