Community
Search

Edison's Frankenstein and Creepy Classics

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-03, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Edison's Frankenstein and Creepy Classics

I'm interested in buying Edison's Frankenstein and the only place Online that I can find it is at Creepy Classics.com. Has anyone ever purchased anything from them before? Are they "safe" to deal with? Is there anywhere else Online to buy this DVD?

Thanks,
Andrew

Edison's FRANKENSTEIN (1910)/NOSFERTATU (1922) - Double Feature
FRANKENSTEIN (1910) Thomas Edison produced this film enigma back in 1910. It's made film history as an early Frankenstein film AND for being a "lost film" for decades. Only one complete 35mm print of this film is known to be in existance. It was discovered by archivist Alois F. Dettlaff. For years Mr. Dettlaff only would allow it to be screened at private functions. It was shown twice at the "Monster Bash Movie Convention" near Pittsburgh, in 1997 and 1999. But, it has not been widely available. It's a bizarre little film with simple effects and make-up that were ingenious. The "creation" scene is still grotesque and creepy as the monster is assembled through alchemy in a flurry of smoke and you see limbs and claws twisting to life. It's only about 14 minutes long and is cinema magic and history. FINALLY, this is the official sanctioned Dettlaff release of this classic! The "First Frankenstein" is paired with the "First Dracula," 1922's NOSFERATU (also from 35mm). This film was made in Germany with Max Schreck as the evil vampire. Schreck means "terror" in German. The count travels across the ocean to invade o new land of fresh blood. Still creepy and atmospheric, this film has scared people for decades.The granddaddy of Draculas. Still atmospheric and eerie. Max Schreck as the gaunt, unworldly vampire king. A silent cob-webbed scream! (ADA DVD/$20)

http://www.creepyclassics.com
Old 10-30-03, 06:52 AM
Defunct Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't comment about Creepy Classics, but I know a little about Frankenstein (1910). As the description states, this film was presumed lost for years, then in 1980, a film collector came forward with a print that he had purchased in the 50's. Since this was the only remaining print, the collector wanted an outrageous sum for it. (I can't remember how much right now. I just remember thinking "Yeah, right." when I read about it years ago.

I know that the collector did not want this released on video tape, presumably since it would have decreased the chances of his selling the print. I recall hearing a rumor a year or two ago that he was looking to have it released on DVD, but discounted it.

This sounds like the real thing, and I'd love to get a copy. Unfortunately, I can't find it anywhere on line either. I can only assume that this is something that Mr. Dettlaff did on his own and isn't marketing through a major distributor. (Though I could be wrong.)

Thanks for pointing this out Valeyard! I didn't know it was avalible.

-Videophile
Old 10-30-03, 08:12 AM

Ron Adams, who runs Creepy Classics and hosts the annual Monster Bash horror convention in Pittsburgh, is a friend of mine and one of the more repsected dealers in the classic horror film community.

The DVD he's selling is authorized and produced by the owner of the only extant copy of the film -- a wacky old guy who likes to go around dressed as Father Time -- quite an eccentric character. Among his eccentricities, he is very suspicious and worried about getting ripped off. So for now the only vendor who sells this disc is Creepy Classics, because he knows and trusts Ron.

As a result, the Edison Frankenstein disc has become Ron's all-time best-seller (by a landslide). I've seen the disc, and it's a much cleaner than the VHS version of the film that "Father Time" was marketing a few years ago, which had a scrolling watermark and other visual noise. (The owner was originally holding on to the film, hoping to sell it for $1 million. Eventually, he figured out that wasn't going to happen, so now he's marketing it himself.)

If you'd like more references for "Rondo" aka Ron Adams and Creepy Classics, ask anybody at the Scarlet Street website, or the Monster Kid community. He's a good egg.
Old 10-30-03, 08:23 AM

Here ya go-the 411 on this fellow Alois Felix Dettlaff:
http://www.lrsmarketing.com/adventures/adventures.htm

Old crank? Nut job? Self-inflated ego from a guy that got married to the right woman?(for a short time? )
Combo plate I guess.......

Last edited by funkydjmcescher; 10-30-03 at 08:32 AM.
Old 10-30-03, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll also gladly vouch for Ron and Creepy Classics, for what it's worth.
Old 10-30-03, 05:16 PM

Thanks for the heads up on Edison's Frankenstein, I've been looking for this title on disc. I'll pick up it tomorrow at Ron's booth at Chiller.
Old 10-30-03, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My DVD-R of "The Hypnotic Eye" was purchased from Creepy Classics, and it was the best dub I've ever seen of it. I've bought from them for a couple of years, and they're very friendly and they mail promptly. I recommend them highly.
Old 10-30-03, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Thanks to everyone for their input. I think I'm gonna dive in.

Andrew