Search

Complete details on the LOTR: TTT Extended Edition

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-03, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Complete details on the LOTR: TTT Extended Edition

MAJOR SPOILERS BELOW!!!!
So many I can't possibly use spoiler tags for everything...you've been warned.

The Digital Bits.com was able to watch the Extended Edition of Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers yesterday. Here's what they saw......

Yes... it's true. Matt and I yesterday attended an all-day, marathon screening of New Line's forthcoming The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - Special Extended DVD Edition, which streets on November 18th. And let me tell you... you're going to be blown away.

This extended edition includes more than 43 minutes of new scenes and footage, added by director Peter Jackson just for this DVD release. As with the Fellowship extended cut, these new moments add tremendous depth and development to certain characters, give a greater sense of epic scope to the journey, provide wonderful new moments of humor and greatly enhance the intensity of the major battle scenes. Here's a detailed rundown of the new footage you can expect to see on this DVD:

A new opening scene, after Gandalf's fall in Moria, in which we see Sam and Frodo climbing down a rocky crevasse using the Elven rope (the title The Two Towers now appears at the start of this scene).

Sam and Frodo getting rained on in the mountains as Gollum watches from a cliff above them.

Gollum's good and bad selves fighting over whether or not to lead Sam and Frodo to Mordor.

The Orcs arguing about their orders, and Pippen asking them to give a wounded Merry some water.

More of Saruman the White overseeing the construction of his Orc army, including his ordering the destruction of Fangorn Forest to fuel his furnaces, as well as the Wildmen pledging allegiance to him.

More of the villages of Rohan being plundered by the Wildmen.

Éomer finding a mortally-wounded Théodred at the scene of a great battle with Saruman's Orcs.

More of Gríma Wormtongue banishing Éomer from Rohan.

More of the Orcs fighting over whether or not to eat Merry and Pippin, including the realization that they believe the two Hobbits are carrying the Ring.

Gollum complaining of his hunger in the Dead Marshes, eating a worm and playing on Frodo's knowledge of the Ring.

Leoglas talking about the trees in Fangorn Forest, and how Elves first raised them into intelligent creatures long ago.

More of Gandalf the White's return in Fangorn, in which he talks about what's happening in Edoras and how, because of Merry and Pippin's arrival in the forest, the Ents are going to wake up and fight.

Treebeard reciting Ent poetry to Merry and Pippin, which puts them to sleep.

Gandalf telling Aragorn about events to come on the way to Edoras: "Sauron fears what you may become." Gandalf says Sauron doesn't suspect that the plan is to destroy The Ring rather than use it.

Merry and Pippin drinking a potion in Fangorn that causes them to grow, then getting trapped in the roots of a tree until Treebeard saves them.

Treebeard telling Merry and Pippin why there are so few Ents left - they've lost the Ent wives.

Wormtongue spitting on Aragorn's outstretched hand before he escapes after being spared in Edoras.

Théodred's funeral at Edoras, with Éowyn singing in tribute of her cousin.

Aragorn calming a horse named Brego in the stables of Edoras with Elvish talk, as Éowyn watches.

Saruman grumbling about Gandalf's reappearance, then learning of Aragorn's existence from Wormtongue.

King Théoden promising that they'll return to Edoras before leading his people to Helm's Deep.

More of Faramir capturing Frodo and Sam.

Aragorn and Théoden talking about Éowyn on the road to Helm's Deep.

Aragorn and Éowyn talking about his great age over a bowl of bad stew.

Extended flashback moments of Aragorn and Arwen together in Rivendell.

More intense footage of the battle with the Warg Riders.

Éowyn checking on the meager food stores upon arrival at Helm's Deep.

More of Faramir telling Sam and Frodo of Boromir's death, and of finding the Horn of Gondor broken.

A major new flashback scene in which we see Boromir and Faramir after reclaiming Osgiliath for Gondor. We learn that their father, Denethor, disapproves of Faramir. Denethor tells Boromir about a meeting that's been called by Elrond in Rivendell. Denethor suspects that the Ring has been found. He sends Boromir to the meeting, with instructions to bring the Ring back to Gondor to save their people.

Faramir's men beating Gollum briefly before questioning.

Aragorn and Éowyn talking before the battle of Helm's Deep. Éowyn says she wants to fight at his side, and basically admits that she loves him.

More of the Ent council in the woods - it's already night, but the Ents have only just finished saying "Good morning" to each other.

Much more intense footage during the battle at Helm's Deep.

The trees of Fangorn Forest marching to Helm's Deep, to get revenge on the Orcs.

The Orcs fleeing Helm's Deep, only to be swallowed up by the trees which have blocked their escape.

A very funny moment between Legolas and Gimli in which they brag to each other about the number of Orcs they've each killed in the battle. The result? A tie (sort of).

Merry and Pippin discovering a pantry filled with food after the battle at Isengard.

And finally, Faramir leading Frodo and Sam out of Osgiliath. Sam tells Faramir that he's finally shown his quality - the very best. Faramir threatens Gollum as to what will happen if the Hobbits come to harm. As they depart for Mordor, Sam is kind to Gollum for the first time, telling him that Frodo only meant to save him by letting Faramir's men take him prisoner.

So that's a rundown of all the new footage. As far as the bonus discs, we only stayed to watch Disc Three. But what we saw included incredibly in-depth documentaries on J.R.R. Tolkien's development of the story of The Two Towers, in the context of The Lord of the Rings as a whole, how the filmmakers struggled to adapt this second book and the changes they had to make in order for the story to work on-screen, and the incredible efforts of actor Andy Serkis, the team of special effects artists at Weta Digital and the writers to bring the character of Gollum to life. You might think you know how much work was involved in creating the first digital character to give a realistic dramatic performance on film, but it was even tougher than you can imagine.
Old 10-29-03, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't wait
Old 10-29-03, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Will it have DTS?
Old 10-29-03, 04:39 PM

Yes. It will have DTS 6.1 ES.

Old 10-29-03, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yes... it's true. Matt and I yesterday attended an all-day, marathon screening of New Line's forthcoming The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - Special Extended DVD Edition, which streets on November 18th. And let me tell you... you're going to be blown away.
That's all I need to read. Seriously, I haven't anticipated a DVD as much as this one for a while...
Old 10-29-03, 05:06 PM

Yes yes yes!

My main issue with TTT (other than it being a fantastic wonderful film) was that it didn't have a quite a few key scenes... I'm glad to see that those scenes are in this version! YAY!
Old 10-29-03, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Old 10-29-03, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
My head is spinning....but in a good way
Old 10-29-03, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally posted by TomOpus
My head is spinning....but in a good way
Exactly!!!

20 more days, 20 more days....
Old 10-29-03, 05:43 PM

Wow! 43 minutes!! Isn't that more than they put back into Fellowship?
Old 10-29-03, 05:54 PM

By almost fifteen minutes, yes.
Old 10-29-03, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
The EE of Fellowship was great, but it was mainly just icing on the cake. The EE of the Two Towers looks to substantially improve the story.

Can't wait!
Old 10-29-03, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
208 mins for FOTR
222 mins for TTT
and already 220 mins for ROTK (probally over 4 hours with a extended edition,
Old 10-29-03, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awesome! I'm drooling in anticipation already!
Old 10-29-03, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

this is gonna be off the quadnizzle for shizzle, I can't wait for this one.......ofcourse my ass probably can wait.
Old 10-29-03, 07:03 PM

SSSSWWWWEEEEEETTTTTTTT!

DTS-ES

And two discs of features...
Old 10-29-03, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

To slightly shift the topic of the thread . . . I was just watching FOTR:EE last night AND thinking ahead to when my TTT:EE will arrive AND thinking ahead to the eventual release of ROTK:EE, and I came to the realization that . . . and please . . . nobody kill me . . . the LOTR Trilogy will be the best trilogy released to date . . . possibly the best movie release in general . . . and that includes the Indy Trilogy, the upcoming Matrix Trilogy, and the eventual Star Wars Original Trilogy. I think I'd be willing to say that, even without the extras, it would be in the running for the greatest DVD release ever.

The movie is just phenominal on all levels (technically, dramatically, artistcally, etc.). It takes my breath away every time I watch it.

I can't wait for my copy of TTT:EE to arrive (had to include that to make it related to the original thread ).
Old 10-30-03, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Complete details on the LOTR: TTT Extended Edition

Originally posted by covenant

Treebeard telling Merry and Pippin why there are so few Ents left - they've lost the Ent wives.

More of Faramir telling Sam and Frodo of Boromir's death, and of finding the Horn of Gondor broken.

The trees of Fangorn Forest marching to Helm's Deep, to get revenge on the Orcs.

The Orcs fleeing Helm's Deep, only to be swallowed up by the trees which have blocked their escape.

A very funny moment between Legolas and Gimli in which they brag to each other about the number of Orcs they've each killed in the battle. The result? A tie (sort of).

Well that pretty much covers all the missing scenes from the book that I can think of. I'm especially happy that the tree's at Helms Deep footage mad eit back in. I'm a happy Panda!
Old 10-30-03, 08:05 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow. Did they add more scenes to this second movie than they did with the first? I wonder if they saw how well it went over the first time, and they decided to add even more this time.
Old 10-30-03, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I cannot wait to see the Huorns kill some orc after Helm's Deep.
Old 10-30-03, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There are even more detailed spoilers at IGN DVD's review, which was just posted today.
Old 10-30-03, 11:29 AM

Re: Re: Complete details on the LOTR: TTT Extended Edition

Originally posted by Panda Phil
I'm especially happy that the tree's at Helms Deep footage made it back in.
I wonder if this means that the Ent attack on Isengard will take place earlier in the film. I think it would almost HAVE to happen before the Helm's Deep battle now, or the Ents won't have time to march to Helm's Deep before the fight ends.
Old 10-30-03, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by MoviePage
There are even more detailed spoilers at IGN DVD's review, which was just posted today.
Link? Quote? Don't tease us like that . . .

Last edited by talemyn; 10-30-03 at 11:39 AM.
Old 10-30-03, 11:48 AM

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/457/457178p1.html?fromint=1
Old 10-30-03, 12:12 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Static Cling
Wow. Did they add more scenes to this second movie than they did with the first? I wonder if they saw how well it went over the first time, and they decided to add even more this time.
I think it was more that there was just more too put back in, as the two towers is the longest and most detailed part of the book.

Hell even with the stuff added in, the end 25% or so the book will be covered in ROTK.

Anyway, this EE sounds great, can't wait for it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.