Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Interesting trend in America, that applies to DVDs as well?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-03, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buying textbooks overseas can save a bundle

Did you know that you can buy all of the textbooks you or your child need for college outside the U.S. for much less. Why is the U.S. so much more? We’ve been willing to pay the high prices. Apparently, people in Eastern Europe and other developed countries have refused to pay those prices, so the publishing houses have had to lower their prices. It’s not unusual to pay $120 for a textbook these days in the States. That’s ridiculous. So, there are now overseas outfits setting up Web sites that find the book you need and then ship it to you. Amazon.com’s British site amazon.co.uk is one of the participating sites. One textbook mentioned in the Wall Street Journal story costs $146 in America. The same book at the British Amazon site costs $63. Another site is bookcentral.com. The Supreme Court has even weighed in on this one, saying it’s perfectly legal to buy from other countries. Just make sure you check the shipping prices first. You can make up the difference on shipping costs if you're not careful.
Here is an excerpt from an email I received at work. I have noticed this with DVDs for some time now. I don't know were these American companies get the idea that I'm willing to pay MORE for a product. What do you think?

Does anyone have access to the actual wallstreet journal article?
Old 10-28-03, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't think this translates well into a dvd discussion. My experience is that dvds are more expensive in Europe than here in the US.
Old 10-28-03, 08:07 PM
Defunct Account

I agree with Purplechoe. Sometimes you can get a better deal in Canada because of the exchange rate, but it's not huge.

I know that Anime is much more exspensive in Japan than it is here.

I really don't think that DVDs are exspensive. When I started collecting the MSRP was $39.95 on a lot of titles, and $29.95 was the norm.

-Videophile
Old 10-28-03, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts
And here in Japan DVDs are amazingly high priced. Saw an ad for Indiana Jones Trilogy yesterday (to be released on 11/7) - the price is going to be 9,800 yen, or at today's exchange rate, about $89. That's why I buy my R-1 DVDs from the USA! Can't say anything about Europe though. In addition, unless you have an all region player, you don't know what you'd be getting if you bought DVDs from Poland or somewhere?!?!?
Old 10-28-03, 11:35 PM

The two aren't comparable.

Textbook prices (like all higher education costs) have been and will continue to skyrocket well above their value simply because of what is basically a monopoly. Students have little choice but to spend whatever they ask for the books.

DVD's on the other hand, seem to be getting cheaper each quarter. Not only do most of us consider $15.99 for a new release to be perfectly reasonable, but you always have the option to either buy a cheaper dvd or no dvd's at all.
Old 10-29-03, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
The real trend (unfortunately) is that important items such as textbooks and prescription medecines are cheaper outside the U.S., while entertainment items are cheaper here.
Old 10-29-03, 04:10 PM

Originally posted by purplechoe
I don't think this translates well into a dvd discussion. My experience is that dvds are more expensive in Europe than here in the US.
I know I've done some comparisons in the past but maybe I was wrong. Now that I think about it, I believe what I was comparing was the cost the DVDs were being sold at and not the MSRP (more so for box sets).
Old 10-29-03, 05:52 PM

It can be cheaper to get dvd's outside the US, especially Canada. However, recently I got the R2 limited box set of 24 Seasons 1 & 2 from amazon.co.uk for less than the Best Buy sale on both of them.
Old 10-30-03, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by marty888
The real trend (unfortunately) is that important items such as textbooks and prescription medecines are cheaper outside the U.S., while entertainment items are cheaper here.
Well, atleast we have our priorities in order
Old 10-30-03, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Kakkarat
It can be cheaper to get dvd's outside the US, especially Canada. However, recently I got the R2 limited box set of 24 Seasons 1 & 2 from amazon.co.uk for less than the Best Buy sale on both of them.
Well that is a combined set so it would/should be cheaper than a combined sale of two sets. Also, if you look around you can find good deals on R2 UK discs, Blackstar has plenty of £5.99 sales on dvds, which works out to roughly $9 (granted most times they are crap movies). R3 korean releases will generally be cheaper than the R1 release. R2 Japan is never cheap though. Take it from me, and I have bought anime series at 35 - 50 bucks a disc.