Raiders/Temple of Doom is in 5.1 right?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-03, 10:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know they were originally mono, then changed to stereo, but I am wondering what they are on the DVD? 5.1 or stereo?

Thanks!!
Old 10-21-03, 10:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its in 5.1 DD
Old 10-21-03, 10:24 PM

Thought so, thanks!
Old 10-21-03, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Raiders/Temple of Doom is in 5.1 right?

Originally posted by Masamune
I know they were originally mono, then changed to stereo, but I am wondering what they are on the DVD? 5.1 or stereo?

Thanks!!
"Raiders" and "Temple" were never originally in mono. Both originally had six-track mixes for their 70 mm releases and Dolby Durround for 35 mm.
Old 10-22-03, 06:51 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They were released theatrically in mono.
Old 10-22-03, 10:43 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by jough
Originally posted by Mr. Salty
"Raiders" and "Temple" were never originally in mono. Both originally had six-track mixes for their 70 mm releases and Dolby Durround for 35 mm.
I love the discrepency here, given that in the early eighties digital systems weren't the norm (no, DTS, Dolby Digital, SDDS). Theatres ran the gambit from mono speakers to 5.1 setups for 70mm/ 6 track engagements. Lucas and Ben Burtt have always embraced the technology in cinema sound, now and back then. The Star Wars trilogy as well as the Indy series were mastered in multiple ways to accomodate the various theatres and their soundsystems: mono, two-channel, 4-channel and 6-channel. sound.
Old 10-23-03, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by jough
Then explain how it is that in the summer of 1981 I watched "Raiders of the Lost Ark" in 70 mm six-track Dolby Surround at the Old Orchard theater near Chicago. Twice.

And just to clarify something in Giles' post, digital is not synonymous with multi-channel surround. There have been movies mixed and released in surround formats for decades.
Old 10-23-03, 09:21 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Mr. Salty
Then explain how it is that in the summer of 1981 I watched "Raiders of the Lost Ark" in 70 mm six-track Dolby Surround at the Old Orchard theater near Chicago. Twice.

And just to clarify something in Giles' post, digital is not synonymous with multi-channel surround. There have been movies mixed and released in surround formats for decades.
yeah, sorry didn't realize that I stated it that way. What I meant to say was that before DTS, Dolby Digital, SDDS, Kodak's now defunct Cinema Digital Sound system, the only way to hear 6-track sound was seeing the 70mm print of a film. The Washington DC engagements of all the Indiana Jones trilogy films were 70mm prints. The largest screens in DC: the Uptown, Avalon, Cinema were all outfitted to exhibit 70mm film, (currently only the Uptown and the restored AFI Silver Theatre can feature this format. [Recent 70mm screenings of 2001, Lawrence of Arabia, Passage to India, Dr. Zhivago, and Baraka were shown at the AFI]).

On a DVD note, and since Mr. Salty mentioned this, it is also wrong to assume that just because a film is denoted as having Dolby Digital sound also doesn't mean that the film is multi-channel sound. DD sound can improve the overal sonic toneality of a film's soundtrack, and can be implemented on films that are mono, two channel, 4-channel sound, 5.1 and 6.1 soundtracks.

Last edited by Giles; 10-23-03 at 09:27 AM.