Does anyone outthere live in Miami?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-03, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be going on vacation to Miami soon and was wondering if there are any places with a decent selection of DVDs? Movies that Best Buy or Circuit City would not carry.
Old 10-19-03, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't try to look for Scarface down there..
Old 10-19-03, 05:43 PM

There are tons of Border and Barnes and Nobles down here. They traditionally carry more foreign films, documentaries, special interest, etc. than Best buy or Circuit City. I actually live in West Palm Beach (land of the confused voter), but am pretty familiar with all of south Florida. Don't know of any place else besides above-mentioned stores. Try to get out to Sawgrass Mills Mall, one of the largest shopping mall complexes in the U.S. It's northwest of Miami; actually, in Sunrise, a suburb of Lauderdale. It's well worth the trip.
Old 10-19-03, 06:53 PM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Don't try to look for Scarface down there..

Thanks for the warning but I already have Scarface giftset.

Thanks Tarnower, my plane will be landing in Fort LD. so I will check. I think there's a Borders in Coconut Groove.
Old 10-19-03, 08:39 PM
Cool New Member

yea hes rigth about sawgrass...there is a horror dvd shop on bird road thats worth looking at..i cant remember the name of it though..hehe
Old 10-19-03, 10:25 PM

I'm not positive, but I think there may be a Virgin Records Superstore in Miami, also. When I lived in Orlando, they had one up there and it had a phenomenal DVD section. I think I heard there is one also in Miami. You'll have to look in yellow pages, I guess. But that would also be a store to go browse thru.
Old 10-19-03, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Does anyone outthere live in Miami?

Originally posted by tdilia
I will be going on vacation to Miami soon and was wondering if there are any places with a decent selection of DVDs? Movies that Best Buy or Circuit City would not carry.
This is an interesting concept . . . I don't believe I have ever thought about actively planning ahead to find good DVD stores while on vacation. Let us know how well it goes.
Old 10-19-03, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
31 year Miami denizen.

There is a Virgin Megastore at the Sunset Place Mall in South Miami (a mere five minute walk from where I currently typing these words) with a simply amazing selection of titles. You'll find the entire Criterion Collection, foreign films, animation, anime, etc. there. But be warned: the selection is superb, but you'll end up paying full retail for them.

There is a pretty decent Borders in Coconut Grove, but there's a better one on Kendall Drive and SW 107th Avenue, in (surprise) Kendall. The best Borders around is at the Dolphin Mall, right off of the Florida Turnpike and NW 12th St.

There's not much in terms of "specialty stores"; this is the land of stripmalls and franchises. However, if you're looking for some horror/scifi/anime material I would check out some of the local comic book/gaming/anime/manga stores -- email me for some recommendations there.

Also, many of the stores in the ethnic neighborhoods (Little Havana/Little Haiti/etc.) often stock DVDs from their native countries; I found some fantastic South American discs on a blind buy.

And here's the big plug: if you're living in Miami-Dade County and not renting at LION VIDEO, you're only fooling yourself!
Old 10-20-03, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Matt Millheiser is right. The Virgin Megastore down here has ridiculous prices. You can usually find better deals online. You definately have to check out Sawgrass Mill mall. The place is huge, theres quite a few stores in there that sell DVD's.
Old 10-20-03, 10:42 AM

I live in NY and The Virgin Megastore prices are crazy, everthing is always list price
Old 10-20-03, 10:46 AM

Re: Re: Does anyone outthere live in Miami?

Originally posted by talemyn
This is an interesting concept . . . I don't believe I have ever thought about actively planning ahead to find good DVD stores while on vacation. Let us know how well it goes.
Vacation is actually getting things prepared, I will most likely be moving there within the next 6 to 8 months so it doesn't hurt getting a head start.
Old 10-20-03, 11:51 AM

I find that every now and again Virgin does have some good promo running. A few months back, in the Times Sqaure store, they had a British revivial thing (maybe Branson's own idea??) and they had some good UK movies for around $10 each. I picked up Snatch, Trainspotting and a couple more decent titles. Can't remember if it was $10 each regardless of how many you get or you had a buy at least 3 or 4.

But I do agree that apart from these occasional offerings, prices are steep.
Old 10-21-03, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll do the big plug for my local place I go to here in South Florida. In a town called Lauderhill (aka: sunrise aka: ft. lauderdale depending on what map you look at, what people you ask), there's a comic book store called Tate's Comics. Tons of collectible comics, toys, and some available movie replica props (like the sai that Elektra used in Daredevil) are all available for sale.

When it comes to DVDs, the specialize in cult stuff and foreign stuff, and TONS of anime if that's your bag. I've just been getting into Asian cinema, and couldn't ask for a better place to go. Here's a link to their place, and if it doesn't give you an idea of where they are located, email me and I'll give you specific directions (I live within walking distance of it).

www.tatescomics.com