Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Evil Dead Book of the Dead scratched discs!

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-03, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just went and picked up Book of the Dead today from Best Buy and as soon as I took the disc out of the sleeve I noticed tons of light scratches. I took it back and opened another copy, same thing, but wasn't quite as bad. I ended up just taking the better copy, but it still bugs me about the scratches as soon as you take it out of the sleeve they have it in. Did I just open up two bad copies or do any of you that own the set notice the same thing as soon as you take it out?

Pretty crappy way of packaging the disc in the set if you ask me, they could have at least used a plastic holder.

-- Andrew
Old 10-19-03, 02:17 PM
Banned

Ultimately, I love the "Evil Dead: Book of the Dead" packaging, it's very innovative, unique and unusual. However, judged solely on the basis of how it performs as a disc holder, it sucks. As soon as I recieved mine, I removed the disc and put it in a spare AOL case. As cool as the Book of the Dead is, every DVD should be stored on a hub, not in an envelope.
Old 10-19-03, 02:21 PM

I have also put mine in a slim jewel-case to prevent further scratching, still sucks about the scratches it had on arrival. Did yours happen to have any scracthes on the disc when you got it new?

The scratches on mine aren't really that bad, there is only one patch where there is a moderate amount of them and they're all pretty light and don't affect play, but it still ticks me off to get a new DVD that is scratched.

I have also made an inquiry to Anchor Bay about this and have asked for them to send a replacement, so hopefully getting in touch with them about it will be pretty painless.

Last edited by SNKapcom; 10-19-03 at 02:23 PM.
Old 10-19-03, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How much did you pay for it? I ask because Sam's Club has it for $15.82. I just got mine this week, but I have yet to open it up.
Old 10-19-03, 03:06 PM

$19.99 on sale this week at Best Buy. BB usually has it for like $33 and it's $45 on amazon.
Old 10-19-03, 03:37 PM

$20 is a good deal for those without Sams Club memberships... I was going to get it @ Sams Club but my membership just ran out and I didn't want to renew to get a good deal on a DVD when it would cease to be a good deal after paying for the membership in the same day. I'll renew it eventually though when I want to buy something 'big' out there.
Old 10-19-03, 03:39 PM

Yup, here's the link http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....9&type=product
Old 10-19-03, 06:50 PM
Banned

I don't remember mine having any scratches. If there were any, they were minor. In any case, the disc plays flawlessly, but who knows if it could have been damaged had I continued to use the Book to store the DVD.
Old 10-19-03, 07:20 PM

My BOOK OF THE DEAD held the disc for the first day I had it only. I printed up a custom cover and ALL SET!
Old 10-19-03, 07:22 PM

The way I store mine is by putting the DVD in slim jewel case in the plastic tray the set comes in, then the book over top of it, and then I put the yellow top slip on.
Old 10-19-03, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts
Yeah, slimcase for me too. It was a hassle just taking it out the first time. Didn't want to damage anything.

That's a great buy for BOTD. I got mine at DeepDiscount for $30 earlier in the year. No fan should be without one.
Old 10-20-03, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts
I keep all of my Buffy and Angel DVDs in slim jewel cases, because those fold-out packages are a pain in the ass to use.

I have no such problems with my Elite "Evil Dead" SE DVD, though.
Old 10-20-03, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I still have mine in it's case although it does have several light scratches...from a practical point of view both the BOTD and the David Lynch exclusive discs are among the worst type of packaging that are available for preserving a discs longevity.
Old 10-20-03, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Don't forget about the Basic Instinct SE and Total Recall tin .
Old 10-20-03, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just got my copy of BOTD a couple weeks ago and watched it this weekend. I noticed it had some light scratches on the disc from sliding in that sleeve.

I put the disc in a small clamshell type case and won't be putting it back into the book. The scratches are too light to affect playback so I won't worry about it.

I did notice that the layer change on my copy was very long. I actually thought it froze. Is this normal or does my disc have a problem?
Old 10-20-03, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Quake1028
Don't forget about the Basic Instinct SE and Total Recall tin .
I really got scr*wed on that Total Recall DVD. I paid $17.99 (or whatever the sale price when it first came out was) and it came in that cr@ppy tin. Now you can get it for $9.99 in a normal case. I guess it doesn't always pay to buy DVDs when they first come out. They seem to price drop pretty fast these days.

And to stay on topic, I paid $19.99 on the Book Of The Dead the day it came out. It was on super sale at Fry's Electronics. My discs were not scratched.
Old 10-20-03, 09:02 PM

I have the same problem with the Pearl Harbor Vista Series DVD. What the hell were studios thinking? I bet they had a ton of returns by nit picky people complaining about the scratches. I returned mine twice before getting one set with just mild scratches.
Old 10-20-03, 09:08 PM

Wow, I'm glad I heard the problems with the Pearl Harbor Vista and Total Recall LE tin. I was actually thinking of getting those, but I may reconsider after the problems you guys told me about.

I too think it'd be more beneficial to spend the extra 10 cents and add holders with hubs rather than face massive returns of scratched discs.
Old 10-20-03, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have no problems with the Total Recall tin - disk is just fine.

However, I removed the disks from the Pearl Harbor 4 disk set and put them in a single-sized Amaray case that holds 2 disks.

For the Evil Dead Book of the Dead, I put the CD in a round, CD-shaped case (wonderful things those!) - so since the case was only slightly thicker than the CD, it slipped nicely into the back of the plastic packaging that the book sits in
Old 10-21-03, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

You know I always wanted to buy that book of the dead special edition, but has never been a huge priority for me, considering the fact I have the Evil Dead that came with the lunch box. But maybe someday i'll have a few bucks to blow and pick it up.
Old 10-21-03, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Here's what you do:

1. Go to Best Buy and get their exclusive Indiana Jones collection with the 5th DVD that is contained inside a tiny slim jewel case (concealed inside the packaging).

2. Open the Book of the Dead and pull out the sleeve. (It tears off the page as easily as if you were removing a post-it note. No damage done to the page whatsoever.)

3. The Indiana Jones slim jewel case is pretty much the same size as this sleeve. Using Scotch brand double stick tape, apply the jewel case into the middle of the page. The tape is transparent, so you do not see it through the jewel case.

4. Use the bonus Indiana Jones DVD (which is only 10 minutes long anyway) as a complimentary drink coaster.
Old 10-21-03, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I just opened mine and not scratched at all. Just took a slim cd case and slid it behind the Book in the plastic case. Snug fit but it does work .