Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

How is Shatner's commentary on "Star Trek V"?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-03, 06:59 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone heard it yet? What do you think? How does it compare to his commentary he did with Nimoy of Star Trek IV?
Old 10-15-03, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

ehhh, it's ok. It's split between himself and his daughter Lisbeth Shatner. Everyone knows that Trek 5 was rife with problems of every sort but unfortunately, there's no great discussion on what really went wrong. I really wasn't expecting a bashing session but it would have been nice to hear point-counterpoint on the issues. The supplemental materials on disc 2 actually shed more light on the subject of the film's problems than the commentary track.

Shatner and daughter talk about the use of stunt men for Shatner when and where. The "Rockman" controversy, the cost of production and amazingly enough, the cost of acting talent for the film. While no names where mentioned his comments on the innapropriateness of larger salaries for members of the cast (paraphrasing here) was shocking nonetheless. Lots of dead space as well

I really wish that Paramount had given Shatner the money and free reign to put together the film he envisioned. I am definately in the minority here but I find Trek 5 extremely entertaining. There are scenes in this film that really embody the truest essence of Trek.

Back on point:
The commentary tracks for Wrath of Khan, Search for Spock and the Voyage home are much more interesting and stand up to repeat viewings. Trek 5's commentary track on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the highest, rates about a 3.5.

The menu screens for this SE are incredible and easily the best yet of the Trek Se's produced. It's been stated before by someone else but I'll say it again, the menus screens look FAR better than the actual SFX employed throughout the entirety of Trek 5.

Whoever they used was in over his head and the film definately suffered because of it.
Old 10-15-03, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by buckee1
I am definately in the minority here but I find Trek 5 extremely entertaining. There are scenes in this film that really embody the truest essence of Trek.
I'm with you buckee1! I like ST:V as well. I still remember how shocked I was, when I walked out of an opening night screening, with a bunch of diehard ST fans (I'm a casual fan, myself), thinking that we all had a great time, only to be told over and over again how much everyone hated the film!

I'll take ST:V over ST:III any day!
Old 10-15-03, 12:23 PM
Suspended

As a casual fan, I did not enjoy Star Trek V. I own 1-4 only. I liked 6 also though.
Old 10-15-03, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hear ya. I could never understand why fans thought ST:III was so good.

With that being said, I will own all of the SE DVDs.
Old 10-15-03, 12:31 PM
JM1

I took the decision to buy this, because I have bought all of the other SE's so far, and thought it would be time to re evaluate it.

Not watched it yet, so cannot comment on the commantary.

But I did watch the extras, and the main making of doc is very honest in the discussions about the production problems, especially in the effects dept.
Old 10-15-03, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Although I find ST:V the worst of the ST movies, it's still not a bad movie when compared with ALL possible movies. It just looks bad when sandwiched between IV and VI. Some may argue that Insurrection or Nemesis may be worse. I won't go there. But, I find myself being more interested in ST:V than what's on my "Matrix: Reloaded" DVD.

Back to topic: I find that the commentary with Bill and Liz Shatner is pretty sparse. Bill and Leonard Nimoy are much more interesting. But, it seems like Bill is the only person that's really close to saying that ST:V isn't the film he wanted to make. He was naive enough to buy into the people around him saying that it's the best ST movie ever. So, I think for $17.99, this DVD is worth it even though they don't fully admit that it was a financial flop. But, I think time has been kind to ST:V. The Circuit City I went to actually SOLD OUT of the DVD.
Old 10-15-03, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by JM1
I have bought all of the other SE's so far
and for that reason, it was a no brainer for me.
Old 10-15-03, 05:49 PM

Originally posted by DavidH
I could never understand why fans thought ST:III was so good.
At least two sequences from that film come to mind:

The Stealing of the Enterprise,
and the Battle with the Klingons/Destruction of the Enterprise.

Granted, there are also some memorable scenes in V, such as the campfire scenes and the scenes in the forward observation lounge (where the windows do not correspond with any windows on the exterior of the filming model, incidentally), as these scenes helped to solidify and enhance the friendship between Kirk, Spock, and McCoy.

Still, I find Star Trek III far more entertaining than V, if nothing else, for the scenes I mentioned above.

Last edited by Commander Dan; 10-15-03 at 05:52 PM.
Old 10-15-03, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 89 Posts
I bought all the other films the week they came out but have yet to get ST:V though I plan on getting it. Just been preoccupied with a bunch of other titles this month.

Anything with the entire original cast is entertaining to me. I agree it has it's embarrassing cringe worthy moments but unlike the last few NG movies, I always find myself enjoying it.

It would be nice if these Special Editions included more of the other cast members aside from Nimoy and Shatner. Out of the bunch I really enjoyed Nicholas Meyer's commentary. Looking forward to VI.
Old 10-15-03, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Shatner commentary was mediocre. Wise move having his daughter included as she seemed to recall more than Bill. (Liz: "That actor's name is blah blah" Bill: "Is that right?")

I'm quite surprised they didn't discuss the Hollywood writer's strike which affected the film a lot, nor did they mention Sean Connery originally being signed to play Sybok (who subsequently had to drop out when the delay caused by the writer's strike caused a scheduling conflict...the planet Sha-Ka-Ree is an homage to him).

Of course the conspiracy theorist part of me thinks maybe those lulls in the commentary are parts where Shatner is bitching about the studio for screwing him over the budget and then removed by the studio before the DVD was pressed.
Old 10-15-03, 09:55 PM

Originally posted by CrumpsBrother
I like ST:V as well. I still remember how shocked I was, when I walked out of an opening night screening, with a bunch of diehard ST fans (I'm a casual fan, myself), thinking that we all had a great time, only to be told over and over again how much everyone hated the film!

It had been several years since I last watched Trek5 but after watching it last night (great DVD, by the way) I still feel it's the one Trek movie that most closely resembles the original TV series. The character interaction and humour just seems to tap into the old spirit of the show. Yes, its flawed in places but overall, I still really enjoy the film.

But Trek3 rocks, don't you doubt it! Christopher Lloyd is one nasty Klingon! Trek3 is to the Trek series what Empire Strikes Back is to Star Wars... Dark and heavy.

I know, I know... this should be moved to "movie discussion"...

Last edited by Damage; 10-16-03 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-16-03, 04:23 AM

Originally posted by Numanoid

I'm quite surprised they didn't discuss the Hollywood writer's strike which affected the film a lot, nor did they mention Sean Connery originally being signed to play Sybok (who subsequently had to drop out when the delay caused by the writer's strike caused a scheduling conflict...the planet Sha-Ka-Ree is an homage to him).
I don't think Connery was ever actually signed. Only considered.
Old 10-16-03, 09:56 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by Damage
It had been several years since I last watched Trek5 but after watching it last night (great DVD, by the way) I still feel it's the one Trek movie that most closely resembles the original TV series. The character interation and humour just seems to tap into the old spirit of the show. Yes, its flawed in places but overall, I still really enjoy the film.
This is the one thing that I've been saying for a while now - Star Trek 5 may have failed as a movie, but at least it failed as a Star Trek film. The last 4 Next Generation films arent even that.
Old 10-16-03, 03:04 PM

I am looking forward to this DVD (it's been ordered and should arrive any day now). I'm tired of seeing it judged as the worst Star Trek movie, which it is not. Of the TOS films, it may be my least favorite (some of the comedy is played too broadly), but it is not nearly as bad a film as Generations or Nemesis, both of which had a hand in destroying the Trek franchise.
Old 10-16-03, 03:57 PM

I think what stands out for me with STV is the true feeling of the old Star Trek series and a helluva soundtrack as well. Probably one of the best musical scores in all of TOS movies.

I picked this up the other day and Im looking forward to watching it again.
Old 10-16-03, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

it's shatnertastic!
Old 10-16-03, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I havent seen this film for many years and I watched it tonight w/ the commentary on and it wasnt bad. Not the best commentary but definitly not the worst I have ever heard. And now looking back on the film, it really wasnt all that bad as I remember. Sure, its no Kahn film or even FC but its not that bad. I have seen worse movies this year that make this movie oscar worthy so maybe everyone should give it another try.