Community
Search

Matching Vacation series

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-03, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Matching Vacation series

UPDATED PICS WITH JJE-187'S SUGGESTIONS, ENLARGED SUITCASE ON VACATION:

I don't like the look of the three new National Lampoon's Vacation series releases with the border around the front, especially for the fact that they don't match European Vacation which does not have a border.

Starting with the original full screen version covers, plus the widescreen (and only) version of European Vacation, I made all of the spines more closely match each other, lining up the logos and titles. For Vacation and Christmas Vacation I updated the special features and menu shots from the new versions onto the old versions. For Vegas Vacation, also using the full screen cover, I changed the back and spine from white to black, moved the DVD logo from the right to left side of the front cover and added National Lampoon's to the front and spine. For all three of these movies I also changed the aspect ratio boxes from fullscreen to widescreen. For European Vacation, the only other change I made was that I changed the DVD logo on the front cover to match the other 3 movies. Plus I made it so each movie says Chevy Chase above the title, without any other actors names. Let me know what you guys think. Turns out that the special feaures "suitcase" on Vacation was originally too small to be seen when printed, so here's an update, with a bigger version.

And here are some close-ups of the updated special features and menus for parts 1, 3 and 4:

Much better now, I think

The text under the red box says "*Subtitles only" refering to the * next to Espanol.

And for anyone happening to own the Japanese R2 NTSC widscreen Vegas Vacation, like me:

Last edited by marioxb; 10-19-03 at 05:08 PM.
Old 10-15-03, 10:14 AM

I could use these once I find the box set somewhere.

Looks good to me.
Old 10-15-03, 11:03 AM

Cool. Thanks. I think I'll send em to DVDcoverart.

Here are the menus for both the Japanese Widescreen and Original US Fullscreen editions.

The menus (and features) for the widescreen and fullscreen English Vegas Vacation releases are identical, with the exception of the widescreen R1 not having the "Recommendations" option.

It's also kinda interesting to note that the menu shot on the back of the cover of the original release says "The Cast" instead of the "Explore the Gallery" and "Return to the Movie" instead of just "Return to Movie". I just left that menu shot alone, kinda for nostalgia or whatever, as that menu doesn't appear on any release, and it's close enough to the menu that actually appears.

Anyone notice that they removed all text-based special features on Vacation and Christmas Vacation? For example, on the original release of Vacation, I could see every movie that Anthony Michael Hall was in, plus his bio. On the newer release, all I can see is that he plays Rusty Griswold in this movie. Why would they remove something that was already there? It really can't take up that much space to add a few more menus that don't lead to any clips or whatever.

Last edited by marioxb; 10-19-03 at 05:15 PM.
Old 10-15-03, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I would like to see a custom Vegas Vacation with "National Lampoon's" added above the title on the front & spine.

Do you think you could line up the National Lampoon logo on all of them? They look kinda off with them being different.

I am hoping someday someone, who doesn't have anything better to do, might make a complete matching set for ALL the National Lampoon movies on DVD....even the Bad Ones

Last edited by JJE-187; 10-15-03 at 09:58 PM.
Old 10-15-03, 10:45 PM

Yeah, that would be a big job to make matching covers for every National Lampoon movie! I was thinking of adding National Lampoon's to Vegas, but wasn't sure it would be "right". But it doesn't really matter if its a real National Lampoon or not does it, I suppose? Though I followed all of your suggestions and agree that it does look better this way.

Do you own the new Vegas Vacation JJE? (Actually it doesn't matter anymore as I have since watched a friend's copy and made the necessary comparisons.)

Last edited by marioxb; 10-19-03 at 11:14 PM.
Old 10-15-03, 11:34 PM

Nope. In fact I don't own any of the Vacation films, yet. I plan on picking up the box set someday though.
Everything else look great. If you do line up the covers I would use European Vacation as the base. Line up all the rest to match it.
Old 10-16-03, 02:43 AM

Heh, that's exactly what I did. Though then some of the titles were too close to the National Lampoon part. So I ended up leaving "European Vacation" where it was and moving "National Lampoon's" up. Those were some great suggestions! I can't believe how much better they look now!

And I also re-did the front cover for Vegas Vacation. I removed "Beverly D'Angelo" and "Randy Quaid" from the cover before to make it match the others with only Chevy Chase listed. I thought it looked too empty once erasing those two names, but now with "National Lampoon's" added, it looks much better.

Last edited by marioxb; 10-19-03 at 11:18 PM.
Old 10-16-03, 04:43 AM

Those look great mario. 1 thing you might wana toy around with is the color of the National Lampoon's logo. The gold/brown colour doesn't look right on Christmas & Vegas, maybe if you changed the logo color to match each film better. Red for Christmas, Green for Vegas & maybe white for Vacation
Old 10-16-03, 02:21 PM

I only have one question .. when/where can I download them?
Old 10-16-03, 02:36 PM

Hopefully DVDcoverart.com will take them. I will try and send them in soon!

Last edited by marioxb; 10-19-03 at 05:19 PM.
Old 10-18-03, 08:41 AM

Looks like to me somebody has too much time on their hands.

Threadcrapping snipes like this aren't allowed

Last edited by Gallant Pig; 10-18-03 at 05:58 PM.
Old 10-18-03, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by dcswirl
Looks like to me somebody has too much time on their hands.
Yes, You do.
Old 10-19-03, 05:20 PM

OK I think I am finished! Any other suggestions before I go ahead and attempt the dvdcoverart.com thing?
Old 02-02-04, 11:38 PM

Have these all been up-loaded to DVD-CA? I could really use these covers. Randy B A