Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Rock 'n' Roll High School DVD question...

Old 10-13-03, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a question to all of you who've purchased a copy of ROCK 'N' ROLL HIGH SCHOOL, especially recently. I'm a long-time Ramones fan so it was inevitable that I pick this cult classic up. One of the listed features on the back cover states, "collector's booklet, including Johnny Ramone interview, articles, pictures and more!" Sounds pretty good, right? Except my copy did NOT come with a booklet.

I checked DVDtalk's Covers, Cases & Inserts forum and found no specific reference except that all Lions Gate Films DVDs come without inserts. Okay, that jives with what happened to me, but then I read Gil Jawetz's DVDtalk review on the disc where he states, "Additionally, the booklet is filled with interviews with the cast and crew. " Aaaargh!!

I've tried writing Lions Gate Films. Several times. All my email keeps bouncing. I just want to know, am I supposed to have this insert or is it a misprint from an earlier DVD edition?? Can those of you who've purchased this DVD, especially recently, please let me know if they're supplying the much coveted "collector's booklet"??
Old 10-13-03, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I looked in mine & what do you know? It came with the booklet,which I previouslly thought was only an insert & never bothered taking it out,lol.

Oh by the way,Lions Gate did not release the film. Roger Cormans studio Concorde did. Do they have a website? Maybe,never vistied it if they do. So do a search,try contacting them & maybe they will send you the booklet.

Though on another note. Does the dvd include a theatrical trailer at all? I did not see one at all on the disc despite the box stating it included one. Then again,Concorde does make plenty of mistakes on the packaging such as with the Slumer Party Massacre films have photos from different films on the box!
Old 10-13-03, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine has a booklet, too. UPC is 7 36991 21949 6, in case you want to check it against your copy's.

And, Julie, I couldn't find the trailer on my copy, either (Easter egg?)
Old 10-13-03, 04:42 PM

Thanks for the info Julie! I'm wondering if I have a newer edition of the DVD, which is in fact, distributed by Lions Gate Home Entertainment. (It lists the studio as New Concorde though.) The back cover has the URL for Lions Gate Films, so that's where I went for a little customer service... and couldn't find any love.

Julie, if you could check something for me: My DVD release number is listed as 15930E on the spine. Is that the same number as yours? It's also copyrighted 2001 Concord-New Horizons Corp.

As for your trailers question, yes, mine has trailers for RnRHS, Eat My Dust, Battle Beyond the Stars, and Saturday the 14th... all Roger Corman films I believe.
Old 10-13-03, 04:45 PM

Thanks Rev! My UPC is definitely different: 0 57373 15930 9.

I'd gladly trade my trailers for that booklet!!
Old 10-13-03, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wasn't this released twice? Once in a super jewel case and the more recent keepcase edition. It was OOP for awhile.
Old 10-13-03, 05:55 PM

There is no trailer for RnRHS on the Concorde DVD even though it says so on the case. That's unfortunate since the trailer is actually really cool and WAS included on the original DVD release of the film from Slingshot/Lumivision (which was released in both a hard-plastic 'keepcase' version as well as a small CD-type jewel case version). Another title where you need to keep both the Slingshot and the Concorde versions if you're a diehard fan.
Old 10-13-03, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Just checked mine and there's the booklet right there. Didn't know about the trailer not being there.
Old 10-13-03, 06:26 PM

The edition I have - which is the same as TheRev (UPC 36991 21949 6) contains the booklet as well as the original trailer (go to special features, it is clearly listed on its own). The number on the spine on my disc is NH21094D. I found the disc at Circuit City this past summer for $10.99.
Old 10-14-03, 12:46 AM

No trailer on my disc under "Special Features" or under the previews section - and it has the same UPC code and spine # mentioned above by TheRev and Darryl. Seems like there are two versions of the disc floating around and there's no way to tell which one you'll get by the outside packaging.