Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

How do you research your next "blind buy"?

Old 10-13-03, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The "what "level" of DVD collector/buyer are you?" thread inspired this question. I'd like to know how you research your next dvd purchase, particularly if you're not sure of what to get.

Just post the links or resources you use the most. Here are mine:

http://www.dvdcompare.org.uk/comparisons/ (to compare different regions)

http://www.amazon.com/

http://www.allmovie.com/ (to see what else the director has done - it's also a good way of branching into similar areas, eras, genres, etc -- better than imdb, imho....)

http://www.compare.dvdbeaver.com/ (screenshots of different regions)

http://pub125.ezboard.com/fcriterioncollectionforumfrm1 (Criterion forum)

http://www.dvdtalk.com/ (get the best deals, of course!...)
Old 10-13-03, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I usually always go here first :
http://www.dvd-basen.dk/uk/home.php3?soeg=r1&mvis=ok

Then I'll do a search on all the open forums on DVD Talk to get some more info on the title.
Old 10-13-03, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

1. Go to store
2. Look at back of case
3. Look at price
4. Buy

No research involved
Old 10-13-03, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also don't research this. If I'm just looking to find something to watch for the night, I just kind of look through the DVD's the store has and if I see something and I say 'hrm, I really wanted to see that', I'll just pick it up.
Old 10-13-03, 11:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How do you define "blind buy"? For me it's something I haven't seen before, but it's certainly something I've heard about or has been recommended. If it's already out on DVD I'll Netflix it first to see if it's worth picking up, otherwise I'll read through reviews and see what people have to say about it (usually use www.imdb.com). Sometimes I'll get lucky and can get it from Netflix during the first week when the deals are still good If I'm reading you right though, it seems "blind buy" to you is going out and buying something just to buy something. Personally I don't think I'd ever do that as I already have too many unwatched (or completely unwatched [docs/commentaries/etc]) DVDs to needlessly add to the collection
Old 10-13-03, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Yeah you know, I never thought I'd ever have any unwatched DVD's in my collection a long time ago. Now I have quite a few.
Old 10-13-03, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I tend to do more blind buying of items that are on sale and it has been recommended to me or I've read favorable reviews.

I also see lots of movies and listen to the commentary on most of my DVD's. Sometimes, the interview or commentary will refer to other movies that were influential, genre-defining or generally interesting to me so I will do some research on them on this forum and amazon. If it still looks good, I'll give it a try.

I also netflix and skip around quite a bit, trying out new directors, actors, decades even. It is sort of like surfing on the internet. One movie leads you to a another and before you know it, you are watching a movie much different than the one that started you off.
Old 10-13-03, 01:29 PM

All my "blind buys" have been based on word of mouth from friends (I hate hate hate hate movie "critics" and never read a review other than a general synopsis)

I also check out movies a director/writer/actor I like has done, and just if it's in a genre I like and looks interesting. It's mostly instinct, and I've only gotten a truly bad movie (IE one that has nothing entertaining at all in it) less than a handful of times.

Last edited by SideShow; 10-13-03 at 01:40 PM.
Old 10-13-03, 01:50 PM

Originally posted by tofu
1. Go to store
2. Look at back of case
3. Look at price
4. Buy

No research involved
Perfect answer! 100% correct
Old 10-13-03, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
I pretty much know my blind buys before they come out. They tend to be things that either didn't play close to me, or for some other reason I didn't get to see in the theater, but really wanted to. Some movies, I want to see, but don't expect to much from, those get to be rentals (Italian Job is an example of this--I want to see it once, but would be surprised if I like it enough to own it).
Old 10-13-03, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Basically my "blind buys" are tied to directors/writers/actors that I have already seen and enjoy their body of work. If the price is right I will make the rare totally blind purchase (but only after checking out reviews and comments at http://www.imdb.com). Otherwise I rent first and wait for used copies or for the price to drop before buying.
Old 10-13-03, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The local "art house" theater sucks here- understaffed, bad facillities, awful hand-me-down prints of films that have already been playing for over 3 months in other cities, and they don't always get the film in that I want to see anyway.

Thus a lot of my blind buys those kind of films that peek my interest but won't play in the multiplex but I still want to see when they finally come out on DVD. For example, Casa de los Babies, Pieces of April and The Station Agent are 3 films I've recently heard about that are potental blind buys for me six months from now.
Old 10-13-03, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by nemein
How do you define "blind buy"? For me it's something I haven't seen before, but it's certainly something I've heard about or has been recommended...
I'm a bit more restrictive with my definition of "blind buy:" I would consider it the purchase of any DVD of which one had no knowledge of the film/TV production itself (though the actors, writers, director may be familiar) before seeing it on the store shelf/rack/bargain bin.

Though I have been tempted to do what tofu & pdjennings do with their blind buys (especially when going through the bins at WalMart or the foreign section at Borders last weekend during the 25% educators sale), I'm too cautious (...okay, cheap.) If I do find something that I'm unfamiliar with which peaks my interests, I'll start at the All-Movie Guide website to get some basic information, when check for on-line reviews here and at other DVD sites before making my final purchase decision.
Old 10-13-03, 06:23 PM

I will do an absolute blind buy (no knowledge about it at all) if it's by a writer or director I really enjoy. After that I will read the back of the DVD and check it out on IMDB, and may check to see if there's a review on the DVD on this site and a few others. If the price is cheap enough I may pick it up without checking it out. Most of my blind buys are indie, foreign or "genre" titles and I usually get some enjoyment out of them.
Old 10-13-03, 08:03 PM
SeeNo Member

Originally posted by mcarver
Basically my "blind buys" are tied to directors/writers/actors that I have already seen and enjoy their body of work. If the price is right I will make the rare totally blind purchase (but only after checking out reviews and comments at http://www.imdb.com). Otherwise I rent first and wait for used copies or for the price to drop before buying.

Same for me.
Old 10-13-03, 08:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
research and blind buy shouldn't be in the same sentence. a blind buy to me would be to see a title, read the box and then buy it.
Old 10-13-03, 08:32 PM

I usually have read a review of the film, gotten positive word of mouth, and figured out the best price/deal.
Old 10-13-03, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My blind buy criteria:

a) actors/directors I like are involved
b) the movie is not a period drama

That's it.
Old 10-13-03, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by ChrisHicks
research and blind buy shouldn't be in the same sentence. a blind buy to me would be to see a title, read the box and then buy it.
I always considered it as being a purchase without renting/seeing the film before hand. For example, I knew all about who was in the Godfather series, and knew 1&2 are considered some of the best films ever, but had just never seen them before buying them on DVD (my parents were sometimes conserative about what I could watch growing up)- thus the Godfather Collection was a blind buy for me. Granted it was a fairly safe blind buy, because I knew enough about it before hand, but a blind buy none the less because I really didn't know if I'd feel the same as the rest of the world- I still could've hated those films, despite the fact that everyone else loves it.
Old 10-13-03, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Tscott
I always considered it as being a purchase without renting/seeing the film before hand. For example, I knew all about who was in the Godfather series, and knew 1&2 are considered some of the best films ever, but had just never seen them before buying them on DVD (my parents were sometimes conserative about what I could watch growing up)- thus the Godfather Collection was a blind buy for me. Granted it was a fairly safe blind buy, because I knew enough about it before hand, but a blind buy none the less because I really didn't know if I'd feel the same as the rest of the world- I still could've hated those films, despite the fact that everyone else loves it.
This is correct. A blind buy is a movie you've not yet seen.
Old 10-13-03, 11:35 PM

Originally posted by RyoHazuki7
This is correct. A blind buy is a movie you've not yet seen.
it must depend on the person. just because I have not seen the film.....does not mean I'm going in blind. research is nothing more than knowing as much about the film and personel as possible. connections within the film world are many. those ties sometimes affect my purchase decisions but because of previous and gathered knowledge...my eyes are far from shut. maybe I watch with a squint...but I still know what to expect for the most part.

The Living Corpse comes out tomorrow. it's a must buy for me. I've never seen it. I've read over 20 reveiws and write-ups about the film...and the dvd. the genre and style is right up my alley. my eyes are wide open. a little bloodshot...but open.

Old 10-14-03, 12:40 AM
DrS

Roger Ebert's reviews are online, and rottentomatoes.com (sp?) has lots of reviews and links to reviews. Tons of reviews on this site and many of the other DVD sites. Tons of top 100 lists via IMDB, AFI, etc. Top sellers w/in genres at Amazon, etc. as well as stuff listed above.

I blind buy all the time and love the research...

And, BTW, in general I do trust Amazon's ratings. Once the number is decently large, there is surely a diff between 3 and 5 star films.

Have fun!

d
Old 10-14-03, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by DrS
Roger Ebert's reviews are online . . .
Ahhhhhhh!!! Please don't use that name!!! I lost any meager level of respect that I had for that man when he trashed on of my all time favorite movies ("The Power Of One"). Not only did he bad mouth it, but he also called it a "boxing movie" and focused on that as the main part of the film!!! What the hell is that?!?!?!

I've also noticed that anytime he rates something poorly, I can almost be garuanteed to to love it and vice versa.

<deep cleansing breaths>

<silent meditation>

Better . . .

Now as for blind buys, I'm with Ryo on this one (actually, we seem to agree on a lot of things these days ). Some of the most important parts of a film are in the sound and visuals . . . no matter how much you read or hear from others, you are always risking a let down if you haven't actually experienced the movie first hand.

Plus . . . "blind" ==> "can't see" . . . seems to be a simple enough correlation . . .

My blinds are based on reccomendations, reviews, actors, and director . . . and you guys.
Old 10-14-03, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Both definitions seem adequate, it's just how you choose to look at it. Think of a blind date. Before you go on one you try to learn whatever you can about the person, even seeing a picture. Hardly going in blind but still not going in with the knowlege that you are going to enjoy the date let alone like the other person.

For truly blind purchases it usually has to be a genre title, like horror, and it has to have a premise that sounds ineresting. I'll never blind buy a comedy. Bad horror can be entertaining on many levels, a bad comedy can't be entertaining on any. If it'sa zombie movie I haven't seen and the price is right, chances are I'll buy it.

If it's a genre I want to watch more of but won't have the oppurtunity to rent it, I'll buy it without knowing much about it. Lots of martial arts movies fall into this realm.

Most of my blind buys fall into the read about, wanna buy it category. It usaully has to have people involved with that I like, and the premise has to be interesting. I don't go to the theater very often, so a movie that I'd go see, I'd probably buy.
Old 10-14-03, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 251 Likes on 159 Posts
Simple. I don't blind buy.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.