cleaning dual layered discs

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-03, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok...i have a bit of a dilemma here on a couple of dual layered discs i own. specifically "The Twins Effect" and "X2: X-Men United" (Japanese R2 edition). It seems to have trouble with layer change on both of these discs so i suspect there must some dirt or dust affecting it to play properly. is there any way i can clean it up so i can watch it properly?
Old 10-12-03, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It could be anything; not least, player incompatibility or defective bonding. I would try an exchange if I were you
Old 10-12-03, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm siding with Squirrel God on this one.
Old 10-12-03, 11:46 PM

problem is, my XMen dvd is imported from Japan so i doubt warranties or exchanges are valid in Canada.

someone told me about dipping it in boiled water but i have some doubts about that one.
Old 10-12-03, 11:50 PM

Originally posted by tinlunlau
problem is, my XMen dvd is imported from Japan so i doubt warranties or exchanges are valid in Canada.
That's one problem with importing.

someone told me about dipping it in boiled water but i have some doubts about that one.
I've heard of that with Xbox DVD demo disks but not DVD movies... but it may work I suppose.
Old 10-13-03, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Can't you contact the Japanese supplier you bought it from and send it back to them for exchange?
Old 10-13-03, 08:32 PM

Originally posted by Squirrel God
Can't you contact the Japanese supplier you bought it from and send it back to them for exchange?
too much trouble...
i've been told that there's a thing called Dr. Dvd that can clean it up.
Old 10-13-03, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!

Boil it..... it can't hurt unless you overcook.

See here:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hlight=Boiling
Old 10-14-03, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i've been told that there's a thing called Dr. Dvd that can clean it up.

Don't use it. Those devices are only for when a DVD is scratched up so bad that it can't play. It basically wet sands the scratches out. It also can mess up a disc, and is kind of a last ditch effort to get a nonworking disc working again. Doesn't sound like that's your issue.

If you look at the disc and don't see any dust on it, there is no dust on it. There's no such thing as invisible dust that you can't see that will interfere with the DVD player. In other words, if the disc looks OK, the disc is probably OK. As stated already, it sounds like the player is just having problems with the layer change, which isn't unusual in the least.
Old 10-14-03, 02:58 PM

Originally posted by renaldow
Don't use it. Those devices are only for when a DVD is scratched up so bad that it can't play. It basically wet sands the scratches out. It also can mess up a disc, and is kind of a last ditch effort to get a nonworking disc working again. Doesn't sound like that's your issue.

If you look at the disc and don't see any dust on it, there is no dust on it. There's no such thing as invisible dust that you can't see that will interfere with the DVD player. In other words, if the disc looks OK, the disc is probably OK. As stated already, it sounds like the player is just having problems with the layer change, which isn't unusual in the least.
then again, i do see small scratches on my X2 dvd.
i thought about buying the American DVD in late November when it comes out just for the sake of the extras. the japanese dvd was light on the extras since it was a one disc release.

is there a device designed to clean dual layered discs other than Dr. DVD?
Old 10-14-03, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

is there a device designed to clean dual layered discs other than Dr. DVD?
Nope
Old 10-14-03, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts
There are several threads about cleaning DVDs, SEARCH is a really nice thing to utilize before posting these kinds of questions.

Amazing that you bought the Japanese R-2 version. Here I sit, in Japan, and me and even my Japanese Friends are waiting for the R-1 version of this DVD on 11/25 for all of the additional extras it will have compared to the Japanese version.
Old 10-15-03, 04:24 PM

Originally posted by danwiz
There are several threads about cleaning DVDs, SEARCH is a really nice thing to utilize before posting these kinds of questions.

Amazing that you bought the Japanese R-2 version. Here I sit, in Japan, and me and even my Japanese Friends are waiting for the R-1 version of this DVD on 11/25 for all of the additional extras it will have compared to the Japanese version.
well, it didn't cost much so i picked it up for the hell of it. i'm still planning to grab the R1 edition as it's out. i bought it for the curiousity of how it's been treated in Japan....and the japanese dub voices.
Old 10-15-03, 06:01 PM
Suspended

Before you neuter your X2 disc, try playing it on another DVD player. It could just be a dirty player lens. A good player, or any player for that matter, should have no problem reading a disc w/ a bit of dust or finger print. Although I always blast the disc surface and disc tray clean w/ compressed air before I put the movie in.
Old 10-15-03, 07:36 PM

It's probably a problem with your player being incompatible. I have a similar problem, though not with the layer change. I have the region free version of "The Twins Effect" and it skips during playback on my SONY DVP-S360 and my Daewoo 3000N. But I had no problem playing the film on my dvd-rom at all. Hope this helps too.
Old 10-15-03, 09:40 PM

Originally posted by FuzzyBallz
Before you neuter your X2 disc, try playing it on another DVD player. It could just be a dirty player lens. A good player, or any player for that matter, should have no problem reading a disc w/ a bit of dust or finger print. Although I always blast the disc surface and disc tray clean w/ compressed air before I put the movie in.
i've tried that already. the results are worse on the PS2.
Old 10-15-03, 09:42 PM

Originally posted by PopUpStopper
It's probably a problem with your player being incompatible. I have a similar problem, though not with the layer change. I have the region free version of "The Twins Effect" and it skips during playback on my SONY DVP-S360 and my Daewoo 3000N. But I had no problem playing the film on my dvd-rom at all. Hope this helps too.
my player plays "The Twins Effect" a little better than most players i've tried it on. the layer change played perfectly, it's just the finale battle where it screws up. it'd either jump to the main menu or start having a bit of hiccups while it plays.
Old 10-16-03, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

2 players. Denon 2200, 2900. Mmmmmm.........