Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Johnny Be Good dvd edited PG-13 version!!!

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-03, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bad news for fans of this film. The dvd despite the R rating on the packaging is really the PG-13 version which cuts out the nudity & quite a few other things

A thread on HomeTheaterforum.com as well as imdb.com(shown below) confirms this. So if you have not bought the dvd,but were planning to(like myself),avoid at all costs!

HTF: Got it last night, it's edited. I'm keeping my laserdisc version. The whole 'old tex' scenes (strip club) is heavily edited, and the scene after they stop to pick up more beer (and run into the old football player, can't remember his name) is completely cut (where they're all drunk with girls back at a frat house).

IMBD: I just bought the new Johnny Be Good DVD yesterday and was very excited when I put it in this morning...until I noticed that it is not the same VHS edition that I had grown to love in past years. Tons of scenes have either been altered or completely edited out. Very dispointing!!!

Strange that the R rated version was recently on cable quite a few times. So if you have the old R rated VHS or Laserdisc. Hold onto them!

Last edited by Julie Walker; 10-11-03 at 01:47 PM.
Old 10-11-03, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 10-11-03, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Johnny Be Good dvd edited PG-13 version!!!

Originally posted by Julie Walker
Bad news for fans of this film. The dvd despite the R rating on the packaging is really the PG-13 version which cuts out the nudity & quite a few other things

A thread on HomeTheaterforum.com as well as imdb.com confirms this. So if you have not bought the dvd,but were planning to(like myself),avoid at all costs!

Strange that the R rated version was recently on cable quite a few times. So if you have the old R rated VHS or Laserdisc. Hold onto them!
Wow....that is really pathetic.
Old 10-11-03, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
It's in Full Frame too, correct?
Old 10-11-03, 03:46 PM

crappy news.
Old 10-11-03, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 944 Likes on 362 Posts
WTF?! What possible reason would they have for doing this?
Old 10-11-03, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

anyone want my copy?
Old 10-12-03, 12:08 AM

Such a great classic movie that has been butchered on its DVD release. I would love to see an Anamorphic Widescreen DVD that is completely unedited.
Old 10-12-03, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sounds like they used the wrong master. Kind of like the Swamp Thing situation, but with the opposite result...
Old 10-12-03, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not a fan of the movie, although early Uma might make it worth it, but it is a shame when any film gets treated this way.
Old 10-12-03, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Sunday Morning
anyone want my copy?
How much do you want for it ?
Old 10-12-03, 09:22 AM

Received 114 Likes on 93 Posts
Lame. Thanks for the heads-up though!
Old 10-12-03, 02:59 PM

Actually I think this movie was released thearically as PG13 and then stuff was added to the video release to make it R rated.
Old 10-12-03, 03:08 PM

I doubt footage was filmed after production/theatrical release just to make it R rated.

Since the film bombed. A studio would not bother risking more money on the film by filming addiotional footage for video release.

More than likely. It was originaly R rated,then the studio wanting to cash in & get as many people as possible into the theater(teens etc),cut it down to get a PG-13. Then since that verion bombed as I don't think it was widely released. They decided to put the footage back into the film & sell it as R rated to get more people interested in it.
Old 10-12-03, 05:52 PM

FYI, anybody who does thier research will find that the rated pg-13 version is the correct released version as in theaters. according to leonard maltin, in any edition of his video guide. he confirms that the film is pg-13,and that it was re-edited to get an R release.and that r rated scenes were added for videocasette.
Old 10-12-03, 06:17 PM

According imdb, it was PG-13 theatrically and R video release: http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0095409/
Old 10-12-03, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's the original theatrical poster, it's hard to see but that's definitely a "PG-13" in the lower left corner:

http://www.impawards.com/1988/johnny_be_good.html

Furthermore, Ebert's review from 1988 gives the rating as PG-13. So until we hear more information we should treat both cuts as equally valid.
Old 10-12-03, 11:10 PM

Of course the 'R' rated scenes were added for the VHS release. Yet they were most likely cut to get a lower rating in the first place.

A good recent example would be Miramaxes Get Over It which is a teen comedy that was originally rated R & then cut to get a PG-13. The deleted scenes that would have given it an R are included on the dvd(not sure if all of them are there though). Watching that film,it felt very compromised to tone down various sexual inuendoes & possible nudity..& it felt like it should be R rated,yet was an edited down PG-13 version tease. The film is ok,has some amusing moments,but could have been just a tad better if left intact.

Besides alittle nudity is always a good thing

So just because it was released in theaters with a PG-13. Does not mean it is the 'correct' version. I'm sure most fans of the films prefer the uncut R rated version & not the compromised PG-13 version.

Since Saturday Night Fever was also released in theaters with an R & PG rating. Should the PG cut be made available on dvd when it's not the directors intended version? Again the PG version of that was a compromise to get more kids into the theaters.

I'm pretty sure that is also the case with Johnny Be Good. Rather than risk theaters not letting under 17 year olds into the film. They choise the PG-13 route via editing,then restored the footage for home video. Neither worked to huge success(movie quality is debateable),yet it has developed a small cult following over the years...& of course the R rated version is what people are seeing.

So you can understand why those who grew up with the film on video may be upset that it's an edited down version.

Of course you may say "Well what about those who saw it in theaters & want that version?". Frankly some additional nudity & other material is not going to 'ruin' the film in a revisionism way & I'm sure most people would be exicted to see a more explicit version.

If Kill Bill is released unrated only(doubtful unless Miramax splits from Disney). I would have NO complaints at all of "I want the censored version I saw in theaters!".

There is a huge difference between cuts for ratings & complete & totel destruction(aka revisionism) of a film years after the fact.

Johnny Be Good is a case of studio politics taking adult material & attempting to tone it down for the kids only to then attempt to cash in on video with a more explicit & most likely originally intended version.
Old 10-12-03, 11:18 PM

Pearl Harbor is another good example. It was compromised via cutting to get a PG-13 for theaters,then thankfully restored to R rated form on dvd. Which is the better version or the one the director always intended? Why the R rated version of course.

Also just because a film is not listed as being originally X or NC-17 on the MPAA site & then edited to get an R rating or lower does not mean the films were 'not' cut at all.

You have to remember the MPAA threatens filmmakers with a rating ahead of time before the final decision is made & a file is made on the films rating. They may say "This is edging into NC-17 territory,now if you wnt an R,you are going to have to take stuff out"..& leaves the studio deciding whatr to cut & what will hopefully then give it a lower rating.

Yet as for directors cuts. They are usually the first version submitted for a rating(unless studio decided to cut it beforehand just to be safe) for a rating & then compromised,hacked & re-edited to get a 'acceptable' for the studio rating.

Yet the majority of films that they threaten with NC-17s are never listed on the site.

Look up the Friday the 13th films..& they all say rated R with no hint that they were all originally given an X before cuts were made.

Or An Officer & a Gentlemen which also suffered cuts to a sex scene to avoid an X...& the same for Don't Look Now.

You won't find a mention of Dead Alive originally being NC-17 before being massacred to get an R. The listing for that makes it sound like a very gruesome film in R rated form,when in fact all the gore is cut down to G rated levels!

So you can not always trust the MPAA website with your ratings information whn dealing with films cut for ratings reasons