Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Yes,won the Star Wars trilogy on laserdisc!!!

Old 10-11-03, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got word that they are being shipped as I write this.

I won the original versions on ebay all in one package for only $37 with shipping!

Yes they are the original widescreen releases(aka the first WS laserdisc versions). So the quality may not be the greatest. Yet I'm sure the quality will be tolerable..& having the original versions in OAR is what matters most to me at the moment.

Though for those who have seen these laserdiscs. How good or bad are they qualitywise?

It will be great to see the real trilogy again & not the crappy SE versions or the pathetic 'new' trilogy which so far has been just terrible!
Old 10-11-03, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Want a cookie? or is that to boring for you?

You can usually find the original trilogy on LD for about 20-40 bucks. depends where you look. I have a few copies myself and the lowest I picked up a set was for 10 bucks for all three. this was at a flea market.

I've always said it, If you want to see the original trilogy, get it on LD. Owning it myself I have stopped caring if Lucas decides to bring the OT non SE to dvd.

as for the quality on the LD.. well it depends on which one's you got really. for the most part I don't recall any of them having crappy quality. there were a few different releases of the Original Untouched version on LD before the SE's kicked in.

lets see.. is it by chance this one?

cause if it is, then you got yourself a nice set.

then again your discription stated original release. so I'm assuming these?

either way, the quality is the best your going to get for the OT on a disc format.

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 10-11-03 at 12:38 AM.
Old 10-11-03, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Weren't the original releases CLV discs? If that's the case the picture quality isn't as good as the CAV DC set.
Old 10-11-03, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I sure hope they aren't the first Laserdisc release, because those are pretty poor. If you got the box set, you did real good, but I doubt this was the case as it usually goes for $80-$120 on Ebay.
Old 10-11-03, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I picked up the Definitive Collection off eBay for $45, beautiful condition, just some minor shelf wear on the bottom of the case.

Now, just need to get a laserdisc player so I can watch them.
Old 10-11-03, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,350 Likes on 997 Posts
The first widescreen releases use the artwork in the second picture, with a Fox Widescreen banner at the top. They are acceptable quality, but the best quality for the least money is the Faces Trilogy. They have the Darth, Stormy, and Yoda faces. If you can ask the buyer, try to get the Kuruay (sp?) pressings.

I think those ones in the second picture are the fullscreen versions.
Old 10-11-03, 10:47 AM

There were two WS single title releases of the Star Wars Trilogy in the US; the first (list price = $70 each!), which sounds like what you won, are the least desireable. Picture quality and sound were, at best, average for their day and rather disappointing compared to all subsequent releases. The second are the THX releases, which is what you should strive for, but they're generally (but not always!) more expensive. The Defintive Collection (pictured above - also THX) is an option too, but ask if a.) there's any rot, as this set was prone to it. b.) if side 3 of The Empire Strikes Back contains the scene of Leia welding, which is right at the beginning. The original release missed these this scene, which amounts to about 10 or 11 seconds. All THX releases look and sound great; the SE box set, which you hate, is the best.

Actually, the first WS release isn't quite OAR; it's cropped a bit on the sides, but it's close enough.

Your cost, with shipping, is very good.

I realize that you, and many others don't like what Lucas has done to these films. I don't either. But I know that Greedo shot first so the change doesn't bother me. The SE box set is so much better in picture and sound (especially in the bass region - reference quality - and overall clarity) that I strongly suggest that you overcome your dislike of the "enhanced" trilogy, ignore the changes, and get it.
Old 10-11-03, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by BigT
I realize that you, and many others don't like what Lucas has done to these films. I don't either. But I know that Greedo shot first so the change doesn't bother me. The SE box set is so much better in picture and sound (especially in the bass region - reference quality - and overall clarity) that I strongly suggest that you overcome your dislike of the "enhanced" trilogy, ignore the changes, and get it.
Nice . . .
Old 10-11-03, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
I strongly suggest that you overcome your dislike of the "enhanced" trilogy, ignore the changes, and get it.
Right after you overcome your dislike of chewing on tinfoil... pouring salt into your eyes... and exposing your genitalia to a pan of water set at a gentle, rolling boil.

Once you've done all of that, I can hook you up with a nice colorized version of Casablanca on LD, too.
Old 10-11-03, 12:21 PM

Well I will NEVER over come my dislike for the SEs. Even if they had the best quality in the world. You could not get to me to purchase & sit through those versions again

So I will take my chances with the original superior versions in at least acceptable picture & sound quality.

All the remastering & sprucing up of the sound in the world could never get me to purchase/view the SEs again!

Now if Lucas were a smart lad & release both versions in the same set or even seperately. I would gladly purchase them on dvd(the originals that is).

I also got word from the seller that he included as a bonus a SWs book he found...& that the laserdiscs are all in mint condition!
Old 10-11-03, 01:25 PM
Banned

I've got the THX "Faces" release (CLV) and it's excellent (for a laserdisc). My friend has the first widescreen release (the ones with the original artwork) but, they don't look quite as good.

The "faces" release is the CLV version of The Definitive Collection (which was CAV). Only extreme videophiles can tell the difference.
Old 10-11-03, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
well with cav, you can really go through frame by frame and so forth. it's a slightly better increase in quality. either way you can't go wrong.
Old 10-11-03, 01:38 PM
Banned

Yes, definately an increase in the viewers ability to freeze frame, slo-mo, etc. But not a recognizable increase in picture quality.
Old 10-11-03, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There is an ancient Jedi saying, "you can't polish a turd."

I'll stick with my Faces LDs.
Old 10-11-03, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Pants
Yes, definately an increase in the viewers ability to freeze frame, slo-mo, etc. But not a recognizable increase in picture quality.
As far as CAV vs CAA/CLV goes, I get a little weary of the side flip/disc swaps. I have the "faces" version of all three and it is the release I prefer.

I also have the SE box in 5.1 and enjoy it as well, but prefer the original version(s).
Old 10-11-03, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've got one of the original sets and the quality is fine. The important thing is the OAR and unedited version. I'm one of the few on this board that was old enough in 1977 to see this in the theater and drive at night. So although it's not the panacea of movie making others feel they are, I enjoy the movies and like watching them with my son. Nice purchase JW. Enjoy.
Old 10-11-03, 07:54 PM
Banned

Excellant! I'll have to make do with my letterboxed VHS version until Lucas decides to put on dvd but I'm am beginning to think it will never happen.
Old 10-11-03, 08:01 PM
Banned

BTW, I've got a set of "Faces" THX widescreen VHS tapes for sale. $75 for all three films (includes 3 part George Lucas interview) all in a super cool triple pack box + free shipping. Email me.
Old 10-12-03, 01:45 AM

Laser Discs Comparison Site ???

Never got in to laser discs but would love to own the original versions on laser discs.

Is there any laser discs review sites on the net any more what compare all 3 versions of the movies, Taken from the above comments it sounded like there was 3 versions of the original series.

Friend has Laser disc player what I could borrow.
Old 10-12-03, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Laser Discs Comparison Site ???

Originally posted by BrunnenMatt
Never got in to laser discs but would love to own the original versions on laser discs.

Is there any laser discs review sites on the net any more what compare all 3 versions of the movies, Taken from the above comments it sounded like there was 3 versions of the original series.

Friend has Laser disc player what I could borrow.
Several reviews reside here. You can also download back issues of the excellent laserdisc newsletter

Doug Pratt's DVDLaser website
Old 10-12-03, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 236 Likes on 172 Posts
Re: Laser Discs Comparison Site ???

Originally posted by BrunnenMatt
There were numerous versions of the original movies: Pan & scan, letterboxed, remastered letterbox, CAV, CLV, analog sound, digital sound, box set, imports, etc.

See this page at my site for info on the ones actually worth collecting.
Old 10-12-03, 02:08 PM
SeeNo Member

Originally posted by darkflounder
I picked up the Definitive Collection off eBay for $45, beautiful condition, just some minor shelf wear on the bottom of the case.

Now, just need to get a laserdisc player so I can watch them.

That's like buying a CD when you don't have a CD player.
Old 10-12-03, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by StevenSpielberg
That's like buying a CD when you don't have a CD player.
My first DVD was the silver cover of Tomorrow Never Dies that I had a few months before I got my player. I had heard it would only be a limited issue.
Old 10-12-03, 03:44 PM

My first laserdiscs were Scream:Unrated & They Shoot Horses Don't They SE & This Is Spinal Tap:Criterion almost a year before I found my first LD player for $20 at a pawn shop(it works perfectly).

Granted,those were all $10-$15 each bought over the course of a few months. Yet I had to get those,depsite not having a LD player at the time.

Good thing to,as the store quickly got rid of selling used LDs as no one turned any in.
Old 10-12-03, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Julie Walker
Yes they are the original widescreen releases(aka the first WS laserdisc versions). So the quality may not be the greatest. Yet I'm sure the quality will be tolerable..& having the original versions in OAR is what matters most to me at the moment.
I don't mean to rain on your parade, but you would have been much better off paying a bit more for the THX 'faces' release. The difference between that one and the first WS release is night and day.

The ones you got are certainly watchable, but as some else said, the quality is mearly average... even compared to other titles released at the time. There is a HUGE difference between that one and the later remaster, for both picture and sound.

But, you can always look for a good deal on the Faces discs, get them, and then put your current set up on eBay later. Instant upgrade!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.