Community
Search

Monkees S2 release date!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-03, 01:21 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Monkees S2 release date!

Cool - I cant wait. I've not seen the show in years, but I found myself really enjoying season 1.

Details are thin right now, but Rhino confirms that The Monkees - Season 2 is definately on the way. Expect a 5-DVD release to hit on November 18th. And that's all they are able to tell us...so far. We'll have more for you just as soon as it's available, so stay tuned.
Old 10-10-03, 01:31 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Some of these TV Box Sets are way too overpriced. Loved the show, but the cost is prohibitive.
Old 10-10-03, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I only paid $44.99 for Season 1 and if I can get a price in that area for Season 2 then I will pick it up. I've been wondering when Rhino will make the official announcement--I just hope there are some excellent extras. I also hope that Mickey Dolenz will be involved with this set. I really missed him on the S1 set.
Old 10-10-03, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by vegasbaby
Some of these TV Box Sets are way too overpriced. Loved the show, but the cost is prohibitive.
It was only $53 at Deep Discount DVD, as decent a price as it gets for box sets these days. But anyhow, this seems kinda like short notice to be a real release date, but Rhino has been kinda flakey in the past...here's hoping.
Old 10-10-03, 03:00 PM

I still have the Columbia House Vhs collection, all 58 episodes, Head, and the tv special 33 1/3 Rpm.
If anyone knows someone that might be interested in buying them let me know. I would like to upgrade to Dvd.

Davey M.
Old 10-10-03, 03:28 PM
Suspended

Overpriced? 50 bucks for a five disc set with 13 hours of entertainment? Seems pretty reasonable to me.
Old 10-11-03, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Outstanding news! Just picked up Season 1 a couple weeks ago, and was asking about this in a previous thread. This was one announcement I was definitely waiting for. I'll probably get the same discount on this one that I got on the first one, which will make it around $50. Much better than paying $400+ for a VHS box set. Man, these next couple months are really gonna take their toll on my budget.

K
Old 10-11-03, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hey, just out of curiosity, El-Kabong, but where did you get that quote from?

K
Old 10-18-03, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For those interested, this is up for pre-sale on Amazon.com for $55.99 and at DeepDiscountDVD for $53.17.

And here's a pretty pic:

I so can't wait for this set. I haven't even seen a lot of these episodes in so long.

K
Old 10-20-03, 09:42 AM
Suspended

More details from tvshowsondvd:

The 5-DVD boxed set of The Monkees - Season Two has been announced by Rhino Home Video. List-pricing at $79.95, this will feature all 26 uncut, original broadcast episodes from the second season. As a bonus, the TV special "33 1/3 Revolutions Per Monkee" is included in this set! You'll also find it loaded up with commentary tracks from all four Monkees, an exclusive interview, plus vintage TV commercials. Yowzaa!

Episodes on this 675-minute DVD set are: "It's A Nice Place To Visit" (9/11/67),
"The Picture Frame" (9/18/67),
"Everywhere A Sheik, Sheik" (9/25/67),
"Monkee Mayor" (10/2/67),
"Art, For Monkees' Sake" (10/9/67),
"I Was A 99 Lb. Weakling" (10/16/67),
"Hillbilly Honeymoon" (10/23/67),
"Monkees Marooned" (10/30/67),
"Card Carrying Red Shoes" (11/6/67),
"The Wild Monkees" (11/13/67),
"A Coffin Too Frequent" (11/20/67),
"Hitting The High Seas" (11/27/67),
"Monkees In Texas" (12/4/67),
"Monkees On The Wheel" (12/11/67),
"The Christmas Show" (12/25/67),
"Fairy Tale" (1/8/68),
"Monkees Watch Their Feet" (1/15/68),
"Monstrous Monkee Mash" (1/22/68),
"The Monkees' Paw" (1/29/68),
"The Devil & Peter Tork" (2/5/68),
"Monkees Race Again" (2/12/68),
"The Monkees In Paris" (2/19/68),
"Monkees Mind Their Manor" (2/26/68),
"Some Like It Lukewarm" (3/4/68),
"Monkees Blow Their Minds" (3/11/68),
"Mijacogeo - The Frodis Caper" (3/11/68),
and the BONUS TV SPECIAL "33 1/3 Revolutions Per Monkee" (4/14/69)

This will street date on November 18, 2003. Presented in 1.33:1 video that was remastered from the original 35mm prints, you'll also find that a 5.1 Surround Sound mix is lavished on each of these shows. Enclosed is an informational booklet that features lots of behind-the-scenes Monkees information.
Old 10-20-03, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Rockin' good news, but pretty queer that they held on to all this info until a month before it's release.
Old 10-20-03, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The fact that all four Monkees will be participating in this set makes me very happy indeed and the packaging looks excellent, just like the first season set. I am eagerly anticipating November 18'th--I swear this day is going to kill my monthly budget. Between this and the LOTR gift set I'm gonna be out more than $100.
Old 10-20-03, 01:49 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by devilpants
Rockin' good news, but pretty queer that they held on to all this info until a month before it's release.
Not that unusual - Rhino is pretty tight lipped with their information prior to about a week or two before release. I've seen it happen with the Transformers boxed sets for the whole run, and I've seen it on the last couple of MST3K sets.

Originally posted by PalmerJoss
I swear this day is going to kill my monthly budget. Between this and the LOTR gift set I'm gonna be out more than $100.
You think you've got it bad?!? Transfomers last week, The Hulk TV show, Indy and Battlestar Galactica this week, next week Loony Toons - and then two weeks off before I get hit by Monkees! And I wont have a job after this Friday!

Looks like it's Top Ramen for me. . . . .

Last edited by El-Kabong; 10-20-03 at 01:55 PM.
Old 10-26-03, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by El-Kabong
More details from tvshowsondvd:

As a bonus, the TV special "33 1/3 Revolutions Per Monkee" is included in this set!
Wow. I thought maybe they'd do something like this, and I'm so glad they did. I never even got a chance to pick up the VHS version cuz it was always just a little too expensive for my tastes, and eventually I just stopped buying videos... right around the time I started buying DVDs. This is perfect. Both seasons and a TV special on DVD for about 1/4 of what the VHS box set would've cost when they were still making 'em.

K
Old 10-31-03, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by PalmerJoss
I also hope that Micky Dolenz will be involved with this set. I really missed him on the S1 set.
Yes the his absence from the S1 set was a major downer. I really enjoyed the audio commentary tracks on some of the first season episodes but it would be nice if some interviews are featured on Season 2.

Last edited by Samuel; 11-03-03 at 07:57 PM.
Old 11-03-03, 07:03 PM
Cool New Member

Saw this additional info on the 2nd season box set in case any one was still on the fence about getting it!

Even more extra features have been announced for "The Monkees: Season Two" DVD set that will be released on November 18... Brian Auger commentary on "33 1/3 Revolutions Per Monkee," Bob Rafelson commentary on selected episodes, photo gallery, "Glen Cambell Hour" footage, NBC News archives, Gerry Sheppard interview, episode trivia, and play all romps, as well as bonus material with Butch Patrick, Billie Hayes, Ruth Buzzi and Coslough Johnson. Also, it has been confirmed that Mike Nesmith's commentaries on the set include "Fairy Tale," a classic episode that is widely loved by Monkees fans where Nez dresses in drag as Princess Gwen

I wonder if the Glen Campbell footage is the "complete" version. A cut of their singing portion has been circulating for years amongst the fans on video but the one skit where the guys sing the Beatles "Hello, Goodbye" song has never serviced.

Now if we can only get the Laugh-In and Johnny Cash show segments on DVD, that would be excellent.