Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Night Gallery: any info on a possible release?

Old 10-10-03, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm so surprised that this has not made it to DVD yet. Any info or plans to release to DVD as a set?

Sonicflood
Old 10-10-03, 12:36 PM

Sorry I don't have any info for you but this would be a great DVD set to pick up.
Old 10-10-03, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I remember reading somewhere (I don't believe it was on DVDTalk) that Columbia House was going to release the episodes on DVD (in their TV division), but they weren't going to do any resoration to the shows. The person/company who owned the rights didn't think this was acceptable. I'm hoping this means that it WILL come out sometime.

I'll try and find where I read that, but that's what I know.
Old 10-10-03, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 423 Likes on 256 Posts
Originally posted by Numes
I remember reading somewhere (I don't believe it was on DVDTalk) that Columbia House was going to release the episodes on DVD (in their TV division), but they weren't going to do any resoration to the shows. The person/company who owned the rights didn't think this was acceptable. I'm hoping this means that it WILL come out sometime.

I'll try and find where I read that, but that's what I know.
I read the same thing at the Night Gallery link that Sonicflood posted in his Other Night Gallery thread.

A few years ago, Columbia House Video Library released a 15-volume set of VHS videocassettes through their mailorder service, which did not present the complete series. They are now out of print, although individual volumes occasionally appear in eBay auctions. Columbia House investigated releasing the series on DVD, then back-burnered the project when Universal Studios, the owner of the property, demanded a complete remastering before it was transferred to the new medium. They tried to come to an agreement on who pays the costs, but never got very far. Universal Studios has started releasing some of its classic TV series directly (Baretta was released last year), and this currently seems the likeliest route for Night Gallery to appear on DVD. To help push them along in this direction, we suggest you take a few seconds of your time and request it. To do so, print out these directions for a roadmap and follow this link:

http://www.universalstudios.com/home...ml/contact_us/

When you get here, you'll be greeted by a paragraph of legal rigmarole about how you understand that Universal Studios can't accept any of your ideas for movies. Click on "I Accept" at the bottom. You'll jump to a menu page. The first item is THEME PARKS. Scroll past it to the second item, ENTERTAINMENT. Click on the subhead listing of HOME VIDEO AND DVD. This will take you to their "Frequently Asked Questions" page. The first sentence says, "If you have not found the answer to your question in our FAQs list, please click here to CONTACT US." Click on that link. This will take you to a short form where you fill in your name, your e-mail address, and your message. For the message, tell them you'd like to see boxed set releases of the uncut, complete television series, Rod Serling's Night Gallery. If you would like to see any special features or extra goodies (such as trailers or extra footage), you might mention this, too.
Old 10-10-03, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The original uncut shows air nightly on Encore Mystery also. You could make your own DVDs...
Old 10-10-03, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 423 Likes on 256 Posts
They're also showing the pilot a couple of times this month.
Old 10-10-03, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Steve Phillips
The original uncut shows air nightly on Encore Mystery also. You could make your own DVDs...
Right, but aren't the ones shown on TV edited for time/syndication? I read that there were some pretty big cuts with the ones on TV (now).
Old 10-11-03, 12:44 AM

NOT the ones on Encore, not only are they full length (50 min for the long ones), but I would say that they HAVE been restored (compared to the Columbia House tapes) they look EXECELLENT.

I have all of them sitting on the harddrive (100gb) waiting till I have time to make purple platters out of them... and with my track record the day I finish THEY WILL GET A RELEASE DATE ANNOUNCED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-13-03, 11:24 AM
Ven

Well now that NBC merged with Vivaldi/ Universal to form NBC Universal, perhaps some additional dvds will see the GE light of day.
Old 10-13-03, 12:09 PM
Banned

It wont happen. I've done lots and lots of research over the last few years and they are locked up with the door nob broken off. Resoration to this series would cost a but load. Your talking about maybe 2 shows per disc. Which equals around 18-19 discs. The resoration alone would take a good year to do. And if that happened they def wouldnt release it as a box set. considering the amount of discs. It would be best for you to just make your own set off of tv. If you dont have the capabilites give me a email I've allready made a set. Its really nice with menus and everything.