Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

New reason for capital punishment . . .

Old 10-09-03, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My package from DDD arrived today offering the promise of a great evening of veiwing pleasure watching my new Lion King PE DVD. I brought it in to open it and realized that it felt kind of light . . .

Then I noticed the loose side panel on the package . . .

Then I noticed . . . that the packing slip (that shows through the address window) didn't have anything supporting it . . .

Some !?&$#*@! opened up my package and stole my Lion King DVD in between the warehouse and my mailbox!!!

Much to their credit, I called DDD immediately, and they said they would send another one as soon as thier next shipment came in. Chalk it up another great experience with DDD.

It still doesn't change the fact that I'm pissed off about my DVD getting stolen.
Old 10-09-03, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, if the mailman or someone from the PO stole it, that's a serious crime. Not just DVDs, but all mail in general. I'd imagine it just fell out due to poor packaging.
Old 10-09-03, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Vision Society
Wow, if the mailman or someone from the PO stole it, that's a serious crime. Not just DVDs, but all mail in general. I'd imagine it just fell out due to poor packaging.
Could be, but I doubt it . . . the side flap had been glued originally, but was torn away and then tucked back in. It was actually a little difficult to get it open. Doesn't seem accidental to me.

Has anyone else ever experienced this? I don't think I've ever had a problem with the post office before
Old 10-09-03, 06:26 PM

I bought Mon Oncle DVD from a half.com member with good feedback last year and when I got the package it was empty with the packaging slip inside. The envelope had a big slit in the bottom and then was taped back up. Apparently, someone stole the DVD. I got a refund from the seller but I was sure pissed because I can't find that DVD anywhere now for a decent price.
Old 10-09-03, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I got my copy of Scarface from DDD today, and all four sides were taped TIGHT w/ packing tape. I couldn't help but think taht if I paid for shipping it would be hand delivered in an armored truck. That sucks that yours got pilfered, but I've never had a problem w/ DDD and their packaging.
Old 10-09-03, 06:45 PM

A few months ago I placed an order with DVD for 5 discs. When I finally got the package delivered, it seemed very light. I opened it up and lo and behold it was just about empty. The disc were not there, the invoice was not there. The only thing in the box was the advertising leaflets they send with it.

Further inspection of the box showed that it had been opened and re-taped by someone.

To their credit, DDD did refund the total amount to my credit card. It as going to be 2-3 weeks before they would have the titles in stock again (they were some older classic movies) so I instead went the Columbia House route -- which ended up being much cheaper anyway.
Old 10-10-03, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I received a DVD from DDD yesterday. As I went to open it, I noticed that one end had already been opened and tucked back in. Now there is NO WAY that it opened by itself. The tape that DDD uses is thick and it was sealed. Someone deliberately opened the box. However, the DVD was still inside. Perhaps whoever opened it did not want An American Werewolf in Paris, a movie that doesn't get the respect it deserves?
Old 10-10-03, 11:27 AM

Originally posted by DVDude!
Perhaps whoever opened it did not want An American Werewolf in Paris, a movie that doesn't get the respect it deserves?
Apparently not.

On another note, I'm surprised at how many people here are reporting stolen dvd's through the mail. Tampering/stealing mail is a very, very serious federal crime. I'd like to have The Lion King for free too, but I'm not willing to risk time in a fed penetentary for it.
Old 10-10-03, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by DVDude!
Perhaps whoever opened it did not want An American Werewolf in Paris, a movie that doesn't get the respect it deserves?
Yeah, seriously, you guys need to start ordering better movies or I'm gonna have to start shopping at your houses.

Friggin' jackals.

K
Old 10-10-03, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
I've had opened packaging from them before, but it didn't have the thick tape on it either, so I just assumed they used crappy glue that came off, or didn't get the tape. The DVD was there.

It's certainly possible that someone opened your DVD, but it seems unlikely considering the huge number of packages they have to go through.
Old 10-10-03, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

There is a lonley mail clerk digging through the packages that come in everyday. He sorts through them, looking for the DVD shaped ones. He knows that one day he will find that sealed copy of Salo. Then he can quit his job that he hates so much. Then his life will be complete.
Old 10-10-03, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I honestly think one of the many PO workers that I have actually takes all my DVDs and only delivers the ones she doesn't want to keep. almost every package I get has been opened and resealed. the glue has either been redone or the thick tape has been cut. I have even recieved a dvd without a box. just the packing slip taped to the DVD. and every time you turn around the PO wants to raise the cost of shipping.
Old 10-10-03, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Ginwen
It's certainly possible that someone opened your DVD, but it seems unlikely considering the huge number of packages they have to go through.
I am not completely ruling out an accident, but the glue was clearly pulled from the box (cardboard was torn away at the glue spot) and the side flap (which is ~2" long) was tucked back in. In the condition it was in when I got it, I can't imagine that it would have just come out on it's own. I'd like to trust the USPS more than that, but the evidence is pretty much pointing in the other direction.
Old 10-10-03, 01:41 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

[i]Originally posted by ChrisHicks
I honestly think one of the many PO workers that I have actually takes all my DVDs and only delivers the ones she doesn't want to keep.
It sounds like you need to call up your local postal inspector to get the postal workers in your area under observation. As noted above mail theft is a serious federal crime.
Old 10-10-03, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Re: New reason for capital punishment . . .

Originally posted by talemyn
My package from DDD arrived today offering the promise of a great evening of veiwing pleasure watching my new Lion King PE DVD. I brought it in to open it and realized that it felt kind of light . . .

Then I noticed the loose side panel on the package . . .

Then I noticed . . . that the packing slip (that shows through the address window) didn't have anything supporting it . . .

Some !?&$#*@! opened up my package and stole my Lion King DVD in between the warehouse and my mailbox!!!

Much to their credit, I called DDD immediately, and they said they would send another one as soon as thier next shipment came in. Chalk it up another great experience with DDD.

It still doesn't change the fact that I'm pissed off about my DVD getting stolen.
This has been happening to me whenever I have something sent to my home address. The local postmaster couldn't be bothered and had me call the FEDs. The thief or theives stole the form that the Feds sent me. Arrrggggh!
Old 10-10-03, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Re: New reason for capital punishment . . .

Originally posted by speedy1961
The thief or theives stole the form that the Feds sent me. Arrrggggh!
I know it must be frustrating for you, but that is really funny
Old 10-10-03, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This has been happening to me whenever I have something sent to my home address. The local postmaster couldn't be bothered and had me call the FEDs. The thief or theives stole the form that the Feds sent me. Arrrggggh!
I'm sorry, but ::

I don't wish that on anyone. Well I do, but your not one of them.
Old 10-10-03, 11:59 PM
Banned

Originally posted by wordtoyamotha
Apparently not.

On another note, I'm surprised at how many people here are reporting stolen dvd's through the mail. Tampering/stealing mail is a very, very serious federal crime. I'd like to have The Lion King for free too, but I'm not willing to risk time in a fed penetentary for it.
Or even a federal 'pound-me-in-the-ass' prison............
Old 10-11-03, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 477 Likes on 281 Posts
I gotta agree with the other posters that that is a really funny story.
Old 10-11-03, 12:30 AM

I hope this is not a trend with DDD. While I have yet to receive a package that has been obviously tampered from them, I have in on instance never received my package at all. Along with some other orders outside of dvds that were not delivered. I was pissed because I had made a large order from DDD that time. Although after a week of dealing with DDD through e-mailing their Customer Service, they reshipped my movies, but they charged me additional for shipping.
Old 10-11-03, 08:11 AM

Why couldn't he be bothered? That's his frickin job! I've found postmasters to be difficult to get a hold of but once you do, the good ones will help you out.
Old 10-11-03, 09:23 AM
Banned

What you need to do is go to your local post office and file a written report of the mail theft. This is a serious crime which can only be stopped if it is reported whenever it occurs.
Old 10-11-03, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by EPKJ
What you need to do is go to your local post office and file a written report of the mail theft. This is a serious crime which can only be stopped if it is reported whenever it occurs.
I found out wher my local Postal Inspector Office is and I plan on letting them know about it. If anyone else is interested, you can find your local PIO HERE.

As for DDD, up until the other day, I had never had a problem with them. They have always provided excellent service . . . including my packages always getting here unmolested . . . and, of course, fantastic pricing. They have been (and still are) my DVD store of choice.

Now if I could just find a new USPS to use.
Old 10-11-03, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Re: Re: Re: New reason for capital punishment . . .

Originally posted by RussG
Why couldn't he be bothered? That's his frickin job! I've found postmasters to be difficult to get a hold of but once you do, the good ones will help you out.
I agree. I have complained ever since I moved to this address about receiving other people's mail in my mailbox to no avail. My mailbox is clearly labeled with my name, address, apartment # and yet I get mail for all sorts of people there. I'm tired of returning to the Post Office on my days off.

The postmaster replied that it (the misdirected mail) could not be helped "because we have no regular mailman for that route. We're using 15 year olds to deliver the mail".

My response:

Old 10-11-03, 12:51 PM

It seems slightly odd to me that DeepDiscount packages would be singled out by thieves for pilfering the contents. I say this because the return address that DeepDiscount uses does NOT utilize the letters DVD or Video. It says simply DDD as the return address. (At least that's been the case with every package I've ever received from them.)

However, it's of course quite possible that some Post Office employees bent on getting their discs for nothing could easily recognize the "DDD" boxes as containing DVDs (just shaking the box will usually tip you off to what's inside; hearing the disc rattling slightly on its hub). And, of course, over the course of time, these bums get to know that "DDD" means: "FREE DVDs FOR THE TAKING!".

Now....I'd think there would be even MORE of this sort of stealing from DVD Empire's packages. I believe it says DVD Empire right on the labeling on their boxes. It's obvious that there's bound to be DVDs inside a box that's coming from "DVD Empire".

Hope this DDD larceny isn't a growing trend.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.