What do you all think of this DVD Rack?

Community
Search

What do you all think of this DVD Rack?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-03, 04:17 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pretty nice. I prefer black racks myself. I'm more into "modern' looking stuff, than the more classic wood stuff.
Old 10-08-03, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply, talemyn. Mounting them really wouldn't be an option. Too much hassle and plaster walls are a pain in the arse. However, it's a moot point now because of the overlap issues pointed out by flix1. I think I'll have to pass. Rats.
Old 10-08-03, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,488 Likes on 1,678 Posts
Originally posted by talemyn
This is smaller (only 58 DVD's), but I really like the way it looks and you could easily customize it (stain, paint, etc.). Put 4-6 of these together on a wall and it would look really good. Plus it's SO CHEAP . . . $19.99!!! Man do I love IKEA.

JÄRNA - Glass-door wall cabinet

I have 2 shelves similar to this from IKEA but they are dark grey. Also, the glass door is one piece that swings open (or you can choose not to install it). They mount on the wall but so far I've been nervous about trying that. I have one of the shelves filled with CDs and it is very heavy. Would the studs in the walls support this OK? I tried to find mine on IKEAs site to post a picture but I couldn't find it. They look very nice but if you have hundreds of DVDs you will need alot of them.
Old 10-09-03, 09:40 PM

Originally posted by mikewendt
That's a good one... This is the one I've been thinking about.

http://www.racksandstands.com/asp/sh...P1005&catid=16
hey mike, if you end up getting this, let me know.
I'm thinking about getting this one also.

thanks,
Sathlin
Old 10-11-03, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You could build a home entertainment center using unfinished birch, kitchen wall cabinets, like I did. I used wall units because of space considerations, but wall cabinets are deep enough to store DVDs two deep. My cabinets also had holes for adjustable shelves, although they only came with one shelf per cabinet.

Bought six and stacked them three high for two side "units." Painted the exterior flat black to match my TV and HT components. Built a platform out of 2x6's and 3/4" plywood to raise the TV, and covered it with glossy black self-adhesive floor tiles. Placed one "unit" on each side of the TV. Then I attached three shelves above the TV, between the two "units for the HT components to sit on.

I still have to make some extra shelves, and although I had the advantage of using power tools, it could be done with just hand tools.
Old 10-11-03, 12:29 AM

I buy these units for our stores, but I wouldn't give them a thumbs up. Prepac are known for fairly poor quality particle board. The finish is quite cheap as it is just a sticker type laminate that can peel. It's fairly rare to get an unmarked set, and most usually have some minor chips/scratches. The markup on their units is substantial. Before shelling out, I'd encourage you to try and seek out a sample of their product locally.
Old 10-11-03, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's a good one... This is the one I've been thinking about.

http://www.racksandstands.com/asp/sh...P1005&catid=16
That's the one I have, the one in oak and black. I bought it about three years ago, from this site. (You can see a semi-recent pic of mine here) The backing has come loose in a few places, but other than that, I've been very happy with it.

Rob

Last edited by RobCA; 10-11-03 at 12:50 AM.
Old 10-11-03, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's a beautiful rack...similar to one I bought at the Oak Warehouse recently. Anyone who likes this look and lives in the Bay Area...the Oak Warehouse has units similar to this in custom sizes you can order. Mine holds about 500 DVDs with dimensions of about 5'x4'...cost was $169 plus tax.
Old 10-11-03, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like it.
Old 10-11-03, 02:27 PM

Originally posted by flix1
Question: How do you get to the DVD (or DVDs) that end up behind the overlap between the 2 doors, if you have the unit fully loaded, without removing a bunch of DVDs?

I've also been looking at units at IKEA lately. I have 1000 DVDs to store, and prefer them to be in enclosures, rather than exposed.

This item holds 60 DVDs, comes in different colors, with dark or clear glass.

KAXAS - Wall Shelf

I do love this wall shelf! I've been looking for it for a while and when they became available online I ordered one. The shipping was steep $30 for a $30 shelf but I am so happy with it that it doesn't really bother me at all. It is very cool for storing the most frequently watched DVDs. I was a little nervous about mounting it (it is rather heavy, especially with 60 DVDs in it) but with proper hardware we didn't even need to mount it to the studs...
Old 10-17-03, 11:47 PM

Hey guys.. does anyone have any experience with this rack? I'm up to about 180 dvds.. with another 15 or so on preorder so I'm about to max out my current rack (left with half a shelf on the bottom)

comes out to about $240 shipped, holds 560 DVDS! and it locks

Old 10-18-03, 11:33 AM

anyone?
Old 10-18-03, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am now thinking of getting one like what I already have, just have 2 of them, but i cant find any place that sell this one now
Old 11-03-03, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Does anyone own or care to comment on the Black storage rack shown in the Media Play Ad yesterday for ~$89. Supposedly holds ~500 DVDs. Thanks!
Old 11-04-03, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,383 Likes on 1,340 Posts
Originally posted by tgenius
Hey guys.. does anyone have any experience with this rack? I'm up to about 180 dvds.. with another 15 or so on preorder so I'm about to max out my current rack (left with half a shelf on the bottom)

comes out to about $240 shipped, holds 560 DVDS! and it locks
The black one looks like an updated version of the one that I have. Mine does not have as fancy door handles and the base is not beveled. I've had it for about 2 years now.

It is sturdy and does hold quite a few DVDs. However, I think you will find that it looks much nicer in the picture than in person. Also, since it is laminated MDF construction, it is overpriced.

When I bought mine, it was the only thing I could find with high capacity that locked (except for the heinously expensive Can-Am cabinets).

One mildly annoying thing is the lock itself. You have to leave a gap in the DVDs on the top shelf to be able to be able to reach in and lock the left door (which is necessary to lock the cabinet shut).

Here is the one that I own:

http://www.allmultimediastorage.com/...ctCode=VS-0287

Had it been available when I purchased, I would have opted for this:

http://www.allmultimediastorage.com/...tCode=OVH-0700

Same basic design but with solid oak front doors. It probably looks much nicer than the laminated MDF doors on the wood-grained style of either the cabinet I bought or the one you are looking at.
Old 11-04-03, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by bmello
Does anyone own or care to comment on the Black storage rack shown in the Media Play Ad yesterday for ~$89. Supposedly holds ~500 DVDs. Thanks!
I dont know this one, do you have a link or anything??
Old 11-04-03, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by REL77
I dont know this one, do you have a link or anything??
Looked for a 1/2 hour and couldn't find a link. Its the "Carina" DVD 1000B shown in Sunday's Ad for $89.99 I'll try to post a scan later.
Old 11-04-03, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"heinously expensive Can-Am cabinets"

Actually I love these. They hold a lot, are stackable, lockable (unlike those presswood can't be opened with a good tug), and look nice. Plus if you have other media types it fits in perfectly.

http://www.can-am.ca/

Last edited by TheV; 11-04-03 at 05:17 PM.
Old 11-04-03, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Nice rack...
Old 11-04-03, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nice rack...
Finally!!! It took almost a month, but somebody finally said it! Well done, mike . . . well done, indeed . . .

Old 11-04-03, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by bmello
I don't get an ad from them anymore. do you have any pics or a link?

edit: disregard this question. I didn't see the one above.

Last edited by ChrisHicks; 11-04-03 at 08:24 PM.
Old 11-04-03, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by TheV
"heinously expensive Can-Am cabinets"

Actually I love these. They hold a lot, are stackable, lockable (unlike those presswood can't be opened with a good tug), and look nice. Plus if you have other media types it fits in perfectly.

http://www.can-am.ca/
I've been thinking these would be the best option with a large collection. I simply don't have enough wallspace that I want to dedicate to lining with shelves so my collection can look pretty. I'm at 560 right now, and I'm about 40 DVD's over what I can fit on the 2 O'Sullivan shelving units I have, and the crummy shelves on them bow when you place 3 dvds on them anyways...

And really, I don't know how anyone can call the Can-Am cabinets "heinously expensive" (not sure who said it originally...), but they are QUITE reasonable when you consider the quality, and options, plus the fact that they are about half the price of other "industrial" solutions...

I'm probably going to end up with 2 3 drawers units and 2 2 drawer units stacked with a nice formica top to match my tables, and VOILA! Instant Mantle and storage all in one!
Old 11-05-03, 09:15 AM

Originally posted by lordzeppelin
And really, I don't know how anyone can call the Can-Am cabinets "heinously expensive" (not sure who said it originally...), but they are QUITE reasonable when you consider the quality, and options, plus the fact that they are about half the price of other "industrial" solutions...

I'm probably going to end up with 2 3 drawers units and 2 2 drawer units stacked with a nice formica top to match my tables, and VOILA! Instant Mantle and storage all in one!
Thanks lordzeppelin, and TheV, some people just don't want to have their DVDs out of sight, but on display, and that's fine. At some point though wall space is an issue. I have a buddy who used to be a DJ, and is still a big CD and vinyl collector, his entire basement apartment is wall-to-wall racks - he has no need for wallpaper or paintings mind

John