Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Buying Sopranos Season Sets BLIND - based on 1 Episode

Old 10-05-03, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well a few weeks ago I saw my FIRST episode of The Sopranos and I loved it! I looked on line and I think its called: The Pine Barrens. I thought it was hilarious, violent, and well written. Ive been wanting to see some more episodes, but since I have a large family environment around me that gathers at 7 PM for dinner, I cant watch it around that time. So I want to buy the sets. Before I do though, I wanted some opinions and thoughts on the Sopranos and if the viewing of that one episode is a good representation of the series. Basically, is the series worth the investment? I did the same with Band of Brothers and saw one ep (Replacements) and loved it so I bought the set blind and havent regretted it!

Also, Ive seen the season sets of the Sopranos at Pawn Shops for $29.99 and at DVD trade stores (better condition, guaranteed) for $49.99. Not too bad I guess, consider theyre alot more brand new.
Old 10-05-03, 10:56 PM

Well, you saw what was easily one of, if the not THE BEST episode. However, I would recommend buying the whole series. It is awesome and has wonderful rewatchability. They work just like a movie and I have probably watch the whole series 5 or 6 times. it's awesome.
Old 10-05-03, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I bought it blind without seeing any episodes, and have loved it ever since. Go for it. If you don't like it, you can sell it on eBay or something and probably only be out a few bucks.
Old 10-05-03, 11:48 PM

The Pine Barrens was the first episode I had seen of it when it originally aired on TV... from then on I was hooked.
When they eventually came out on DVD, I bought them, and currently I own Seasons 1-3 and have season 4 preordered @ Amazon.com for $65 shipped.
Besides my Akira Kurosawa Criterion boxset, and my Band of Brothers box set, they are some of my most cherished DVDs, because as stated earlier, they work just like an awesome gangster movie, and they have wonderful replayability.
It's gets two thumbs up from me.
Old 10-06-03, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've seen all the episodes on HBO, but haven't picked up the DVDs (they ain't cheap). The Sapranos is easily one of the best shows on TV. This purchase is a no brainer if you can afford it.
Old 10-06-03, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought Season 1 on DVD after it came out based on all the hype, sine I don't have HBO at home. I must say i got hooked and The Sopranos is easily one of the best shows on television in recent years, or ever, hahaha. GREAT series!
Old 10-06-03, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You really can't go wrong!
Old 10-06-03, 02:58 AM

Hey I found a packet of ketchup...gimme that
Old 10-06-03, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Teehee
Old 10-06-03, 04:06 AM

You really can't go wrong with The Sopranos. I got the set without even seeing one episode (no cable, just broadcast). I must say that the first episode was OK, but as it went on, the show got better and it is probably one of my all time favorites now. I must say that this is one purchase that I will NEVER REGRET getting blind.

I remember seeing seasons 1 - 3 for 49 bucks at Costco, but I'm not sure they still have it anymore. You can look around for it and maybe you can get lucky.

I'm definitely looking forward to season 4 this October.
Old 10-06-03, 04:54 AM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Seasons 1-3 are probably the most watched DVDs in my house... You won't regret the purchase, trust me!
Old 10-06-03, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Pine Barrens as mentioned before, was probably the best episode. You cannot go wrong with the Sopranos. It's an excellent series.
Old 10-06-03, 12:52 PM
Banned

Seasons one and two are great. Season three is weak. Season four is complete garbage. So, unless you intend to collect the entire series, stay away from season four.
Old 10-06-03, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Season 3 and 4 are good, not as good as the first two seasons but they are still good seasons. I can see how they are 'weak' compared to the first two, but to call them garbage is well... garbage.
Old 10-06-03, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I am a big Sopranos fan, I have watched it since it's premiere and have all the released DVDs. That said, I have never liked the Pine Barrens episode really. I can not understand why everyone loves this episode so much.

Definitely buy the sets, you will not be disappointed.

And I agree with mzupeman2, 3 and 4 may be a weaker seasons but they are still good TV. Even when The Sopranos is bad it is still better than most TV shows.
Old 10-06-03, 01:59 PM

Hey I found a packet of ketchup...gimme that
Mix it with the relish!
Old 10-06-03, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by fnordboy
I am a big Sopranos fan, I have watched it since it's premiere and have all the released DVDs. That said, I have never liked the Pine Barrens episode really. I can not understand why everyone loves this episode so much.

Definitely buy the sets, you will not be disappointed.

And I agree with mzupeman2, 3 and 4 may be a weaker seasons but they are still good TV. Even when The Sopranos is bad it is still better than most TV shows.
Man, I"m with you I HATE the Pine Barrens episode, but I still recommend the blind buy, because it's a tremendous series. Bobby Bacala is the only good thing in that episode for me.

And a minor quibble, as anyone who knows Jersey knows, the Pinelands are flatlands, but they take this guy into the mountains. For a show that's so comprehensive regarding Jersey, that's the only geographical continutiy error I've ever come up with. But they set the bar so high, I cut them slack.
Old 10-06-03, 03:41 PM

Anyone know if the B&M's are going to have a "Buy all 4 sets, save x $" special going on when this one comes out? I still have yet to pick up any of them, and it would be great to do so while still saving money in the process.

That post might've been more appropriate in the Bargains forum, so my apologies.
Old 10-06-03, 04:18 PM

Pine Barrens is not a "typical" Sopranos ep, as they stay with the A story a lot more than normal. I really liked that ep, but I don't know if I would call it the best ep of the series. It would be tough to say what is the best ep, as they are pretty consistent in quality. That said, I liked that last two or three episodes in S3 a lot.

The one Sopranos ep I have not liked is the one where they go to Italy, in S2. Never have liked that one.

Also, I like S3 much more than S2. S2 took too long to get moving and didn't pick up steam until the fourth or fifth ep.
Old 10-06-03, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Unfortunately, "Pine Barrens" was easily the best episode of the past two seasons. Didn't Steve Buscemi direct that one?

Season 4 was a particular let down, season 3 has mostly excellent episodes but a few clunkers. The first two seasons are excellent top to bottom, front to back.

Season 1 is, IMO, the best overall and one of the best seasons of any show ever.
Old 10-06-03, 06:52 PM

I think "College" is David Chase's favorite episode. If I remember correctly from watching the interview with him.

I can't wait to sit down and enjoy Season 4 because I only watched the first few episodes when it aired on HBO.
Old 10-06-03, 07:06 PM

I bought it blind too, except for the rave reviews from friends and a few websites that I frequent. Never regretted it for a second, it's a phenomenal series. I thought "Pine Barrens" was one of the best episodes too, but there are a lot of others that are really good. I'm definitely picking up Season 4, despite what I've heard about it so far.
Old 10-06-03, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 298 Likes on 197 Posts
Buy it in good used condition and you can't go wrong--if you don't love it, you can sell it for what you paid for it.

tasha
Old 10-06-03, 10:31 PM
Banned

I said that season three was weak. I only called season four garbage. I stand by that statement. Season four feminized the show by virtually removing violence and sex from most episodes. It took nine episodes to get a good one. In a thirteen episode season that does not work. In addition, the season finale was pathetic. I don't watch the Sopranos to see a soap opera about divorce. This show used to have a buzz. After season four that is gone forever.
Old 10-06-03, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I never liked the "college" episode (thats the one where Medow confronts Tony in the car about being in the mafia right). I don't know, it seemed too slow for my taste and the Father Phil scenes nearly put me to sleep. But still recommened the blind buy.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.