Community
Search

Universal Monsters dvd set re-released?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-03, 09:06 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Universal Monsters dvd set re-released?

I've heard rumors that the OOP Universal Monsters dvd set will be re-released sometime in 2004. I'm not sure if this set will be exactly the same as the OOP or restored and/or added special features.

Can someone confirm any of these rumors? And if its released next year, around what time of the year will it be?

Thank you...
Old 10-05-03, 10:53 PM

Nothing concrete. I heard rumors that there would be a release to coincide with the release of Van Helsing to theaters on May 7th 2004.
Old 10-05-03, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

perhaps this has been covered elsewhere - buy why exactly did these films (both the set and the individuals) go out of print? It isn't actually expensive for a studio to have an item 'in print', is it?

I guess I don't really understand the way the distribution side of dvds work -- it seems once a disc is produced and special features, restorations, and new musical scores are paid for, that it would benefit the studio to leave it in print as long as possible.
Old 10-05-03, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

There is a nice looking Brazilian release of these (region 1/NTSC). If you are looking for the movies. I don't know how the quality is, I am tring to find that out for myself since I most likely will be picking this release up:

http://www.xploitedcinema.com/dvds/dvds.asp?title=1240
Old 10-06-03, 01:06 AM

i got the Brazilian set a few months ago, and as far as i can tell they are the same as the US set, only difference is there is only 4 double cases to hold the movies,you get a cover on each side of the case and they are double sided inserts which look like are in portugues,the movies are housed in a cardboard coffin which is kinda cool
Old 10-06-03, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Pasolini
I guess I don't really understand the way the distribution side of dvds work -- it seems once a disc is produced and special features, restorations, and new musical scores are paid for, that it would benefit the studio to leave it in print as long as possible.
Unless you are planning on doing a big re-release down the road (ala Disney animation). Then, it actually makes more sense to discontinue the title, allow supply to dry up and demand to grow.

However, since we're talking about Universal, I have no clue. Again, it has been rumored that they are doing a big re-release in May '04. But that doesn't explain why these titles have been OOP for so long (years now), or why the double-feature discs went OOP almost immediately after they were released.

I stopped trying to see logic in Universal's decisions long ago.