Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Should Television Shows come out on DVD after the show has been cancelled/ended?

Community
Search
View Poll Results: Should Television Shows come out on DVD after the show has been cancelled/ended?
Yes, So It gives companies more time to think of features
22.22%
No, I want my show on DVD right NOW!
77.78%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Should Television Shows come out on DVD after the show has been cancelled/ended?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-03, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking that companies should not release shows till they are cancelled or have aired the final season of the show because it is from my own observation that shows that are cancelled/ended have a better shot of having more features because the companies know how many seasons a show has had. Like

Dark Angel for example, It was cancelled (which many did not like)
and I looked at the features and it is loaded with stuff.

I think they should do this to most of the shows except for The Simpsons.. because it has like 14 or 15 seasons. So There is plenty of time and room to fit stuff

So what do you think? Should companies wait or keep making them while they are still in production?
Old 10-03-03, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts
I think it depends on the show. Take Alias for example, it's still on the air and there were a ton of features on the DVD. Plus, it is helpful for some shows to be released while it's still airing so people have a chance to catch-up.

Some shows like Sports Night or My So-Called Life, were already cancelled and there wasn't a feature in sight.
Old 10-03-03, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Some shows (like ALIAS, 24) would likely be cancelled a hell of a lot sooner if it wasn't for DVD releases, bring in additional revenue and additional viewers.

It depends on the show. In general, I prefer for shows to have ended their run... just so the market isn't flooded with a bunch of mediocre shows that will be forgotten in a year or two. But I definitely understand that some serialized shows need big DVD releases to bring in viewers and let people 'catch up'.
Old 10-03-03, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well there's some shows like Simpsons and Seinfeld that are obviously going to be on the air forever, lol. So I think there are a lot of shows like that, which should be released on DVD beforehand, but a show that's only run for so long, like Family Guy, and etc etc, definitely needs released. I want The Critic, NOW!!!
Old 10-03-03, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by mzupeman2
Well there's some shows like Simpsons and Seinfeld that are obviously going to be on the air forever, lol.
Yeah, but they haven't made a new Seinfeld episode in years. Probably the primary reason we haven't seen Seinfeld on DVD yet is it's still making huge bank in syndication.
Old 10-04-03, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
For sitcoms, yes. But for shows like 24 and Alias, it's good to come out after the season is over to help people "catch up" who missed episodes.
Old 10-04-03, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It really depends on the show as others have suggested. JuryDuty has a valid point especially in regards to Alias & 24.