Community
Search

Why does FF still exist?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-03, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why does FF still exist?

So . . . I was hopping around looking for the best price on "The Adventures Of Indiana Jones" (so far $44.29 at DDD is the winner) and I couldn't help but notice (and, believe me, I tried) that there is a FF version of the collection that is available. It (and other discussions amongst the various threads here) got me wondering why FF releases still exist? Looking at the display cases in stores, they clearly do not sell as well . . . not by a long shot. Is the influence of the people who "don't like the black bars" that high?

Now there are some people who still have small TV's, so it is somewhat harder to see the details in the picture for them, but I would think that the most sensible way to accomodate these people, and the "bar haters". would be to include both WS and FF versions in every release. Surely it is cheaper to possibly have to add an extra disc to each WS release than it is to release both formats and have piles of FF that never sell or end up getting dumped at a loss.

Can anybody tell me a truely rational reason to keep exclusively FF releases around?

Note: Stanley Kubrick's wishes (and any other director who specifcly requests that their film be displayed in a FF aspect ratio . . . e.g. The Blair Witch Project) are the one exception to this rule. Please don't use them as examples . . . there are already other threads dealing with that discussion ---> http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=319897).
Old 10-03-03, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Cause black bars destroy a movie by making the picture so much smaller. If Im gonna watch a movie I dont want to have black bars taking away my god-given right to see the whole movie. Widescreen is a joke. In fact.......go to hell widescreen.
Old 10-03-03, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One word:

Preference.
Old 10-03-03, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by RyoHazuki7
In fact.......go to hell widescreen.
. . . and it can take color video and anything more advanced that mono audio with it?
Old 10-03-03, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Choice.
Old 10-03-03, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by talemyn
. . . and it can take color video and anything more advanced that mono audio with it?
Why must you patronize my post with you misspellings, half truths, smiley faces and gorilla dust?
Old 10-03-03, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
AUDIO!?!?! Who the hell would ever need it! In my day, we acted with our EYES!
Old 10-03-03, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Okay . . . so lets say that "choice/preference" is the reason why FF are still "needed", that doesn't mean that the FF only DVD release is still needed? Doesn't the combo WS and FF release make more sense? Doesn't it save money in the end (see original post for the arguments for this)?
Old 10-03-03, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

man i thought he was asking about fast forward
Old 10-03-03, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Okay . . . so lets say that "choice/preference" is the reason why FF are still "needed", that doesn't mean that the FF only DVD release is still needed? Doesn't the combo WS and FF release make more sense? Doesn't it save money in the end (see original post for the arguments for this)?
1.33:1 versions compromise disc space, which can mean lesser picture and audio quality.

By the way - just because a 1.33:1 option doesn't sell as well around you, doesn't mean it's not doing well elsewhere. See: WalMart.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with your feeling, but your reasoning isn't well-informed.
Old 10-03-03, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

One reason only: people buy them.
Old 10-03-03, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
1.33:1 versions compromise disc space, which can mean lesser picture and audio quality.
I realize this, but I was even thinking of adding an additional disc, if needed (which also presents extra disc space for more extras ). Doesn't the cost benefit make sense there?

It's along the same lines of making standardized, interchangable parts in product design. If one part addresses the wants/needs of all consumers, even if it does cost slightly more to produce than individual, specialized parts, you lose less money due overstock of one type and/or lost sales due to stock outs of another type. If one part suits all needs, those risks are reduced. Substitute a DVD that offers both WS and FF for the "standardized/interchangeable part" and separate WS and FF releases for the "specialized parts" and I think it translates to the DVD world fairly well.

You can also manage inventory better by only having to predict a single demand as opposed to the combined demand of two substitues. You also free up shelf space for additional DVD titles by reducing the number of overall copies of a single title that is spread out over two, substitutable versions.

Plus you gain good will from the customer by avoiding situations like accidentally picking up a FF when you meant to buy a WS or having to search through multiple stores for a WS release because it is selling out while the FF are collecting dust on the shelves (see the Scarface threads for complaints about that one ).

And finally, it offers the flexibility of adapting to the situation . . . can watch the WS on your big screen TV or the FF on your portable DVD player.
Originally posted by DonnachaOne
. . . your reasoning isn't well-informed.
Ouch . . . . . . did I do better this time?

Last edited by talemyn; 10-03-03 at 01:54 AM.
Old 10-03-03, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

its not like FF is going down in popularity either, it seems every major release gets it now, which is friggin irritating.

I get some of my dvds from a dealer, but he only gets full frame releases, which is another reason it pisses me off, I can't get them as cheap at real B&M's........

I was hoping to pick up all the November/December Mainstream releases but it looks like most of em are seperate FF/WS.......GOD MAKE IT STOP!!
Old 10-03-03, 04:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Isn't Pirates Of The Caribbean being released in widescreen only? That's how I like it. You know what I can't wait for though: Customer: "Where's the full screen version?" Me: "They don't make a full screen version of this movie, sir." Customer: "Argh! I hate that!" Me: "Yeah." Customer: "Why do they do that?" Me: "Who knows." Customer: "Whatever." Me: "Yup. Just so you know, in my head, I'm judging you." Customer: "Huh?" Me: "Nothing."

Every chance I get, especially if I'm asked, I explain the difference as best I can. The problem is, I can't use the "you see more of the picture" argument on all DVD releases. And I doubt a lot of people are going to appreciate "the director's vision" or its original aspect ratio. Also, people don't always ask. Occasionally I try to bring it up, but it never works and I can't keep bothering people. The cookies they throw at me are starting to smart.

K
Old 10-03-03, 06:35 AM

My mother... she absolutely hates widescreen. If I get a DVD for her, it must be fullscreen.
Old 10-03-03, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by pOpus
My mother... she absolutely hates widescreen. If I get a DVD for her, it must be fullscreen.
For her next birthday or xmas, get your mother one of those new fangled dvd players (they're < $100) that can zoom the picture and teach her how to use it or tell her to RTFM. She can make her own full frame picture and see for herself what she's missing (or not care at all). This way you can be worry free about the dvds you give to her and she won't write you out of her will.

Old 10-03-03, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Cornelius1047
Isn't Pirates Of The Caribbean being released in widescreen only? That's how I like it. You know what I can't wait for though: Customer: "Where's the full screen version?" Me: "They don't make a full screen version of this movie, sir." Customer: "Argh! I hate that!" Me: "Yeah." Customer: "Why do they do that?" Me: "Who knows." Customer: "Whatever." Me: "Yup. Just so you know, in my head, I'm judging you." Customer: "Huh?" Me: "Nothing."

I have all but given up trying to explain widescreen to people. At this point, if you don't get it then you probably won't. I'm tired of the looks people give me when I mention Aspect Ratio--it's usually one of utter confusion, at which point I will say "never mind".
Old 10-03-03, 08:22 AM
Cat

I refuse to buy "Fool" Frame movies, but I respect there being a choice. The best thing is listening to my fiance, who is a widescreen convert, telling someone the difference between widescreen and "fool" frame. It brought a tear to my eye. *sniff*

Cat
Old 10-03-03, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
One word: mutants
Old 10-03-03, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The only thing worse than a full frame DVD of a widescreen are people who use the terms "fool frame", "pan & scam", or "joe six pack".

Yes, we realize you are better than everyone else, no need to point it out, thank you drive though.
Old 10-03-03, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Cornelius1047

Every chance I get, especially if I'm asked, I explain the difference as best I can. The problem is, I can't use the "you see more of the picture" argument on all DVD releases. And I doubt a lot of people are going to appreciate "the director's vision" or its original aspect ratio. Also, people don't always ask. Occasionally I try to bring it up, but it never works and I can't keep bothering people. The cookies they throw at me are starting to smart.

K
This may be one of the greatest posts of all time . . .

You know what amazes me . . . how often, when I am explaining WS to someone, they have been thinking that the studios have been adding black bars over top of the picture. In a few cases, I know that this is actually done for special matting situations, but what would be the logic in doing that with your average movie? I guess they are just not thinking.

Morons . . .

Last edited by talemyn; 10-03-03 at 08:54 AM.
Old 10-03-03, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quick sidetrack . . .

Alright, Pixy . . . I'll bite on your sig . . . exactly which DVD release will make 10/28/03: The Greatest Day in DVD History?
Old 10-03-03, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by RyoHazuki7
Cause black bars destroy a movie by making the picture so much smaller. If Im gonna watch a movie I dont want to have black bars taking away my god-given right to see the whole movie. Widescreen is a joke. In fact.......go to hell widescreen.
Were you mad in Shenmue when the black bars popped up during cinema scenes, Ryo?

Sorry, couldn't help it.
-Randy
Old 10-03-03, 09:56 AM
Rest in Peace

Greed on milking the customers by saying you want your full screen 'not' the tiny image wasting all of what you could see, nonsense BS.
Old 10-03-03, 10:06 AM

Joe Public prefers full screen because unlike most DVD collectors he is not a movie buff. He could care less if he is watching a film in its original aspect ratio. For the most part trailers, commentary tracks and deleted scenes are worthless also (and they may fall by the wayside in the not so distant future). The only reason we are seeing more popular films in FS and WS versions is because the format has grown to where Walmart consumers are now buying discs. Popularity is a double edged sword. The good thing about more people spending $$$ on discs is that there's a greater variety of hard to find films on the market. The bad news is that there are too many versions of a particular film available. Honestly, do we need the choice of a regular or special edition of Attack of the Killer Tomatoes or The Kids Are Alright? I wouldn't be surprised if within a year or so you start to see new releases of films that did so-so box office selling for $99.00 like back in the day when VHS was priced to sell or rent. Then we'll all be diving in the PV section at Blockbuster.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.