Reload this Page >

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA: R1 versus R4...

Community
Search

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA: R1 versus R4...

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-03, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BATTLESTAR GALACTICA: R1 extras versus R4...

ezDVD have put up some interesting details about the R4 PAL set (before you move this to international forum, this thread does apply to the R1 release):

http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/224909

What intrigued me is the "seventh bonus disc" with material "not found in the US edition":

* Collectible Packaging with Red Eye Lenticular
* Deleted Scenes From Classic Episodes:
* Saga Of The War (34.50)
* Gun on Ice Planet Zero (9.55)
* The Living Legend (12.14)
* Fire in Space (8.46)
* War of the Gods (21.59)
* Greetings from Earth (19.30)
* Baltars Escape (6.38)
* The Hand of God (16.59)
* The Creation Of Battlestar Galactica:
* Glen Larson (5.40)
* Inside Battlestar Galactica (The Cylons-4.47)
* Working with Daggit (5.10)
* Photo gallery
* Documentary (44.54)
* A Sneak peak at Battlestar Miniseries (5.00)

Their claim doesn't appear to be entirely accurate, as we all know the US set has the cylon head package, too, and the sneak peek.

Anbody know for sure if this bonus disc is just the same stuff from the US set, just compiled neatly onto one disc, or does the Aussie set really have more stuff. I'm mainly concerned about the deleted scenes. Over 30 minutes of stuff from "Saga" is really mouth watering, but I want to be sure we're going to get all of that here in the US before I plonk down the money!

I don't know of anywhere where the specs to the US set are this detailed.

Last edited by mythmaker18; 10-02-03 at 01:51 PM.
Old 10-02-03, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, I am curious too about the specs on the US release. I want to know which one to get.
Old 10-02-03, 01:13 PM
Banned

A lot of people are really upset about this boxset, because if you buy it your supporting the studio who is remaking battle$tar the mini$eries, if you think that is a good thing, then you should really over to scifi.com and watch some of the new trailers being offered. I'll just leave it at that for you to make up your own mind...
Old 10-02-03, 01:49 PM

Originally posted by Joe-buck.ca
A lot of people are really upset about this boxset, because if you buy it your supporting the studio who is remaking battle$tar the mini$eries, if you think that is a good thing, then you should really over to scifi.com and watch some of the new trailers being offered. I'll just leave it at that for you to make up your own mind...
How else do you suppose Classic BSG fans are supposed to get the show they want? Tape the crummy edited Sci-Fi Channel reruns? That would be supporting the people doing the remaking, too, using your logic.

I say if you want classic BSG, buy it. If you don't want to watch the remake, don't watch it (I have no plans to watch). It will succeed or fail on its own merits (or lack thereof). I don't think DVD sales of the classic show will make the mini-series more popular (most likely, it will send hardcore BSG fans into an even bigger fury).

My main concern is whether we in the US are going to get at least as much of the extras as our Australian cousins. I'm really hoping the only difference is that they bunged the extras onto one disc instead of spreading them out. I just don't trust Universal enough to take that as a given.

I was really hoping more detailed specs of the US set would be out by now, especially seeing how the Oz specs are already out and that set doesn't hit the street 'til December.
Old 10-02-03, 02:42 PM

A print ad for the DVD box (appearing in Cinescape, among other magazines) says:
-------
- the complete epic series is available Oct. 21 for the very first time on DVD!

- includes over 3 hours of deleted and alternate scenes, a new interview with TV series creator Glen A Larsen and several new interviews with the original cast

- includes the complete original series, presented uncut and in its original boradcast sequence with a newly created 5.1 DOlby Digital surround track
---------

It sounds to me like the 30+ extra minutes from the premiere could be part of the 3-hour version of that show, as opposed to the edited 2-hour theatrical version . Or maybe it's 30+ extra minutes!
Old 10-02-03, 03:27 PM

Originally posted by DrOBoogie1 It sounds to me like the 30+ extra minutes from the premiere could be part of the 3-hour version of that show, as opposed to the edited 2-hour theatrical version . Or maybe it's 30+ extra minutes! [/B]
The fact that the 30-plus minutes extra footage is listed in the deleted scenes section (all other episodes have their 'deleted scene' runtimes listed) makes me think this is really what it appears to be, 30-plus minutes of alternate/unused scenes.

Remember, there was a whole extra subplot featuring Serina that was totally eliminated from the pilot (which she was very angry about) that probably accounted for a good deal of airtime.

Glen Larson also said that the pilot originally featured quite a bit of footage of the Imperious Leader that was eliminated (including facial closeups), as Mr. Larson decided he wasn't happy with the leader's "look".

Perhaps other footage they dug up might include alternate takes, or some of the original dialogue tracks for the Imperious Leader (originally, not Patrick Macnee, but another actor whose voice was combined with the sound of a hissing cobra, which Mr. Larson was afraid would be too scary for younger viewers) and Lucifer (who was originally voiced by Paul Frees).

If the Marvel comic adaptation is to be believed, another missing scene would be a conversation between the Ovion Queen and the Imperious Leader (via viewscreen on Carillon).
Old 10-02-03, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I too read that the 30+ minutes are actual deleted/alternate scenes in a supplement. I think the episodes (including SAGA) will be presented as originally aired, so the pilot will be the extended TV version not the theatrical re-edit.

Also, for those that are interested, 3 of the deleted/alternate scenes from the DVD are here:

http://www.battlestargalactica.com/home/cut.php
Old 10-08-03, 11:02 AM

So which is the best one to buy, R1 or R4?

I've pre-ordered the R1 version from pacific but will cancel if the the R4 has more extras.
Old 10-08-03, 11:17 AM

Check this out!

DVDAnswers.com - DVD & Movie Forum

Now I'm really confused.