Community
Search

Lion King early at Blockbuster

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-03, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lion King early at Blockbuster

I just bought the Lion King at Blockbuster Video. I'm not sure if it's widespread or just my Blockbuster. I know that I probably should have waited until Tuesday and I probably would have paid $6 less, but for some reason I'm a sucker and I couldn't pass it up. They had it for $21.99. I'm sure most of you are smart enough to wait until Tuesday, but if any of you want to pay a premium to have it a few days early, check your Blockbuster.
Old 10-01-03, 01:05 PM

Wow... that's one Blockbuster manager who will be soon be erased by the Disney Mafia.
Old 10-01-03, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Turn em in!!
Old 10-01-03, 06:04 PM

My brother bought it two weeks ago for $19.99

Plus my blockbuster has it for $22.99 I think, the price have been going way way way up!
Old 10-01-03, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by DVDProfessor
My brother bought it two weeks ago for $19.99

Plus my blockbuster has it for $22.99 I think, the price have been going way way way up!
Ordered mine from DDD last week for $19.39 (w/ free shipping) and they sent me a note saying that it had shipped yesterday, so I should get it around the official release date. Good price and in my hands right on time!
Old 10-01-03, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by talemyn
Ordered mine from DDD last week for $19.39 (w/ free shipping) and they sent me a note saying that it had shipped yesterday, so I should get it around the official release date. Good price and in my hands right on time!
Of course, they'll lower it by a few dollars next week after all the pre-orders have shipped.
Old 10-01-03, 10:07 PM

I hope that's true for you. I've not had good luck with DDD getting pre-orders to me on time recently.

My pre-order for "A Mighty Wind" shipped a week before release date and arrived Monday of this week (a week after release date).

My pre-order for "Raven/Comedy of Terrors" arrived a week after release date.

Do I live in a remote jungle? No, I live in a major city that's an approximate 5 hour drive from their fullfillment center. Media mail (which is what they use for pre-orders) is quite slow. I've already given them feedback that I would be willing to pay for priority shipping if they ever offereed it on pre-orders. Their response was that their system is not that sophisticated.

In spite of the recent late arrivals, I'm still comfortable recommending them. However, I currently have the first two "Sherlock Holmes Collection" volumes on pre-order. Those are my "most wanted DVDs" for 2003 so if those turn out to be significantly late I'm going to only use DDD for already released titles.
Old 10-02-03, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have patience, I wouldn't pay $1 more to have it early yet $6. I will pick up Tuesday for $15 or $16.
Old 10-02-03, 04:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by GMLSKIS
I have patience, I wouldn't pay $1 more to have it early yet $6. I will pick up Tuesday for $15 or $16.
Best of luck with that plan, but aren't Disney DVD's notorious for not dropping in price? Example . . . not a single "big name" Disney movie is less than $22.49 on Amazon, with the exception of the pre-order specials ("Lion King" and "Finding Nemo"). If anything, I guessing the prices are coming up shortly . . .
Old 10-02-03, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Best of luck with that plan, but aren't Disney DVD's notorious for not dropping in price? Example . . . not a single "big name" Disney movie is less than $22.49 on Amazon, with the exception of the pre-order specials ("Lion King" and "Finding Nemo"). If anything, I guessing the prices are coming up shortly . . .
Not always true. Just picked up Sleeping Beauty at my local Wal-Mart last month for $15.87. I'm hoping they have Lion King at the same price.
Old 10-02-03, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 321 Likes on 205 Posts
Best of luck with that plan
It's gonna be 15.99 at Best Buy
Old 10-05-03, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just saw a Circuit City commercial for $14.99. Think that's where I'll be heading.
Old 10-05-03, 10:22 AM

Just saw a Circuit City commercial for $14.99. Think that's where I'll be heading.
I'll be heading there for an early lunch on Tuesday as well. I have a feeling it's gonna go fast at that price.

I already pre-purchased one at Disney, but my 3yo drags his movies all over, so I want a copy to "save" as well, and 14.99 is a perfect price for that. Hopefully they'll do the same for Nemo since I'll want two copies of that too.
Old 10-05-03, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Yeah, most stores and even Disney realize people will pay the top dollar around the $20 area for those 'classics that are good for kids and adults to watch forever'! But when you have a movie such as The Lion King, which was one of the biggest successes in Disney's recent history, they know that these things will sell like hotcakes, as most anybody will want it. And for a price that's around the $15 mark, that just makes them think that it will sell even more as that price really does look tempting to any purchaser of DVD's, who knows the normal price for a Disney DVD. And how many people purchase Disney DVD's? Parents parents parents. They know how much they normally cost. They'll pick it up for that bargain of 15 dollars for sure. Christmas around the corner, no problem! They'll buy it now cheap and store it away for the holidays! And why not! They'll pick one up for their nieces and nephews too.....
Old 10-05-03, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by shelland
I'll be heading there for an early lunch on Tuesday as well.
Wha? They sell food now too?

K