Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Besides me do any of you use a paper cutter, if so a URL please.

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-03, 08:25 PM
Rest in Peace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to cut down to my cover art so I would like to use a guilotine to do it neatly, What type of tool do you use RSVP to message board and URL
would be appreciated. Jeeze these cover arts are coming out almost as perfect as the originals made from 75 to 150 DPI (Dots Per Inch), nice of the manufacturers to be so cheap, my printer is capable of 2400 x 1200 DPI! The manufacturers cut every corner and then some to put out the cheapest made plastic disk, sometimes for a great deal of our money; like box sets. I now need a faster way than using a single edge razor blade, don't all shout at once, I am going "Hackers" style giving up Razor for Blade, "They're flakes, they are elite" Dade Murphy AKA Crash Overide and Kate Libby AKA Acid Burn, played by Jonny Lee Miller and Angelina Jolie in 1995 now on DVD. I just happen to need that cover art, although I don't think I will 'ever' sell or trade this gem!
Old 09-30-03, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use a radial (round rolling blade) paper cutter which does the job admirably. I purchased it at a local stationery store.
Old 09-30-03, 10:11 AM
Rest in Peace

I used to work with one back in 1965 but that was a guilitine one, put the paper where you want it to cut, then pull down the handle/cutter, then if the cover art DVD came with corners; use the tool I described in another thread to match the 4 corners for a more/or professional look.
Old 09-30-03, 10:23 AM

Most 'Office/Consumer' "less than $100.00" grade paper cutters do not really cut straight...

They might look like a straight edge.. but they all have a small curve to the cut.. as you have no way to really hold the sheet flat while pulling the blade down... you can stack as much weight as you want on the paper.. but you will always have the edge hanging off that will curl.

The best way to cut a single sheet that has to have a straight edge is with a "X-Acto" or rolling blade knife and metal ruler working on a glass work top.... any other work top will have cut ridges after a few cuts which will cause a rough edge cuts.

--David
Old 09-30-03, 10:38 AM
Rest in Peace

David it looks like I am doing the 'best' way with a single edge paper cutter, the same type I used to use while a part time stocker and order clerk at Falks Food Basket in Easton, PA.

P.S. While in high school I had this part time job, I put a suggestion in the emloyees box, Falks took my suggestion amongst others and the store saved $15,000 for the year and gave me a check for $1500, 10% of what they saved. I added this to what I had saved and became the first Junior in our Notre Dame high school to own a new car. 1965 Ford Mustang Signal Flare Red with black interior cost me $2860 dollars in 1964, nearly 40 years ago. Money like $5,600 back then could buy you a new 1965 Corvette 'Stingray', now going for $40,000 or more !
Old 10-27-03, 04:51 PM

I use an xacto personal paper trimmer, got it at walmart, it works great.
http://www.hunt-corp.com/office/xacto/catframe.html
Old 10-27-03, 05:32 PM
duz
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Besides me do any of you use a paper cutter, if so a URL please.

Originally posted by danol
I am going "Hackers" style giving up Razor for Blade, "They're flakes, they are elite" Dade Murphy AKA Crash Overide and Kate Libby AKA Acid Burn, played by Jonny Lee Miller and Angelina Jolie in 1995 now on DVD. I just happen to need that cover art, although I don't think I will 'ever' sell or trade this gem!
Are you saying you need the cover for hackers? I have is scanned, I sent two versions to dvdca and they rejected the unmodified one so if you want it I'll have to upload it to my site. Lemme know.